Brexit and the Consequences

Atilla

Legendary member
19,045 2,680
Thanks SC that's put a smile on my face.

Wish it was true much like Brexit but sadly it ain't even half near to reality. :alien:

(y)

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,764 796
Thanks SC that's put a smile on my face.

Wish it was true much like Brexit but sadly it ain't even half near to reality. :alien:

(y)
I thought you said in the 7000 post count somewhere that you would be flying at the time of Brexit, thought you were off on a holiday, that makes me sad that you're not :(, but hey, blighty is in for another mini heatwave over the next few days, Brighton beach is beckoning :D

Reactions: Atilla

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,697 2,471
I thought you said in the 7000 post count somewhere that you would be flying at the time of Brexit, thought you were off on a holiday, that makes me sad that you're not :(, but hey, blighty is in for another mini heatwave over the next few days, Brighton beach is beckoning :D
Hey Att, if it gets too hot you can go for the shade. But leave those trees alone ya hear!

Attachments

Reactions: Atilla

cantagril

2,442 592
UK should follow European end to summer time clock changes (y)

European MPs vote to end summer time clock changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47704345
Follow Europe???!!!

Good god man, have you lost your mind!? At least we need a referendum, followed by a couple of years of pointless bickering (in and outside parliament) with some economic chaos thrown in to spice things up....and when we've done all that, how will our time relate to the rest of the world', if it's just the same as the EU's? - you'll just have to imagine me crossing myself and spitting as I write but I can tell you that one isn't born with enough hands to gracefully do all at the same time.

What happened to Temporal Sovereignty?

timsk

Legendary member
7,072 1,866

cantagril

2,442 592
They’ll nanny you on the beaches, they’ll nanny you on time and they’ll nanny you on the roads, Britain. will. never. surrender.
Something for balance in the Winstonian context:

"....there is a remedy which, if it were generally and spontaneously adopted by the great majority of people in many lands, would as by a miracle transform the whole scene and would in a few years make all Europe, or the greater part of it, as free and happy as Switzerland is today. What is this sovereign remedy? It is to recreate the European fabric, or as much of it as we can, and to provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, safety and freedom. We must build a kind of United States of Europe."
(September 19, 1946. University of Zurich - Winston Churchill)

https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/united-states-of-europe/

....I particularly like "...as free and happy as Switzerland":)

Reactions: Signalcalc

cantagril

2,442 592
Hi Sig',
Just wondered - is this fake news or a joke of some kind? I ask as I've searched extensively and I can't find another reference to it anywhere - including on the official LEAVE.EU website.
Cheers, Tim.
"Judge upholds referendum funding breach
The Guardian22 Mar 2019David Pegg
A court has upheld the Electoral Commission’s decision to fine the pro-Brexit group Leave.EU for breaching campaign finance rules in the EU referendum.

Sitting at the Central London county court, Judge Dight ruled yesterday that the commission was entitled to find the group exceeded campaign spending limits, and that it had misreported some details of loans and spending.

However he allowed aspects of Leave.EU’s appeal, including that payments to the US political consultancy Goddard Gunster did not need to be reported, because political strategic advice is not a reportable election expense under UK electoral law.

The commission originally fined Leave.EU £70,000 for various offences last May. Because aspects of the group’s appeal succeeded, the overall penalty is likely to be reduced at a further hearing in April.

Leave.EU misreported several details of £6m of loans received from its founder Arron Banks, including the dates the loan agreements were entered into and the rates of interest."

https://www.pressreader.com

Reactions: timsk

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,764 796
Something for balance in the Winstonian context:

"....there is a remedy which, if it were generally and spontaneously adopted by the great majority of people in many lands, would as by a miracle transform the whole scene and would in a few years make all Europe, or the greater part of it, as free and happy as Switzerland is today. What is this sovereign remedy? It is to recreate the European fabric, or as much of it as we can, and to provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, safety and freedom. We must build a kind of United States of Europe."
(September 19, 1946. University of Zurich - Winston Churchill)

https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/united-states-of-europe/

....I particularly like "...as free and happy as Switzerland":)
A real shame that Germany has reverted to its former self, albeit without bloodshed, the toll on EU citizens, especially in the Southern Med must be horrendous.

cantagril

2,442 592
A real shame that Germany has reverted to its former self, albeit without bloodshed, the toll on EU citizens, especially in the Southern Med must be horrendous.
Hmm, I take it you're referring to the former self that included the Nazi years...or perhaps the one that covered the family squabble 20 years earlier? You never know, we might yet get back to that other yet still earlier self of the 19th century where the Germans (some of them, anyway) decided the battle of Waterloo in our favour and the shape of Europe for the next 50 odd years.

barjon

Legendary member
10,319 1,569
Hi Jon,
Given that you're a remainer, I'd be interested to hear how you (and Atilla et al) interpret the testimonies provided by Steve Baker and Suella Braverman to the European Scrutiny Committee. To my mind, either they are lying through their teeth or the situation is every bit as clear cut as I described it in my post. To save you searching for the YouTube links, I'll attach them here. The first one is the main one - but the other two are well worth watching if you've not done so already.
Tim.

]
Tim,

Don’t you find it interesting that very little has been said or is being said today (as MPs consider various options ) about the so-called deal that was on the point of being finalised by DD and his crew and “offered” by the EU? You’d have thought brexiteers would have been shouting the house down about it and DD would never have stopped crowing about it as the chaos unfolded instead of apparently rowing in to support TM’s deal. According to reports it’s not even clear whether a Canada style deal will be one of the options considered.

Maybe things aren’t as clear cut as it appeared?

Signalcalc

Veteren member
3,764 796
Hmm, I take it you're referring to the former self that included the Nazi years...or perhaps the one that covered the family squabble 20 years earlier? You never know, we might yet get back to that other yet still earlier self of the 19th century where the Germans (some of them, anyway) decided the battle of Waterloo in our favour and the shape of Europe for the next 50 odd years.
As Germany evolves, so do the threats, whether they be financial, cultural, political, military or otherwise. Looks like they are evolving to set up a financial disaster followed by a Jihadi disaster, followed by ........... a Russian conflict disaster?

Or maybe a change of German regime will avert some of that? Who knows?

cantagril

2,442 592
As Germany evolves, so do the threats, whether they be financial, cultural, political, military or otherwise. Looks like they are evolving to set up a financial disaster followed by a Jihadi disaster, followed by ........... a Russian conflict disaster?

Or maybe a change of German regime will avert some of that? Who knows?
Of course, Regime Change! Just as well they don't have any oil.

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,697 2,471
Tim,

Don’t you find it interesting that very little has been said or is being said today (as MPs consider various options ) about the so-called deal that was on the point of being finalised by DD and his crew and “offered” by the EU? You’d have thought brexiteers would have been shouting the house down about it and DD would never have stopped crowing about it as the chaos unfolded instead of apparently rowing in to support TM’s deal. According to reports it’s not even clear whether a Canada style deal will be one of the options considered.

Maybe things aren’t as clear cut as it appeared?
What ya on about!

DD and others resigned cos the appeaser did an about turn on them with Chequers, which was not the deal that everyone thought they were working on.

Skulduggery 101

The mood changed that weekend in question from one of optimism to sell out.

barjon

Legendary member
10,319 1,569
Hi
What ya on about!

DD and others resigned cos the appeaser did an about turn on them with Chequers, which was not the deal that everyone thought they were working on.

Skulduggery 101

The mood changed that weekend in question from one of optimism to sell out.
Yes, and so they would be shouting all the louder that we should have stuck with the deal they nearly had finalised. The silence speaks volumes.