Brexit and the Consequences

timsk

Legendary member
6,889 1,783
When you say project fear has failed to materialise you're jumping the gun a bit are you not? We're not even out yet - let's see what happens when we are. Even then we won't really know for 10 years or so whether we've been seriously wounded or not.
Hi Jon,
Yes, I agree with you that we don't know what will happen immediately after Brexit - if it ever happens. What I was referring to in my last post were the doom 'n gloom predictions given by Cameron, Osborne and Carney et al about what would happen immediately after the 2016 referendum: i.e. instant recession, hundreds of thousands of job losses and a punishment budget etc.

I accept that post-Brexit in the short term, i.e. months, that there will be teething problems - especially if we leave with no-deal. However, time is our friend and, with the passage of it, said issues will be resolved. I don't buy into the 'catastrophe' predictions simply because we're the world's 5th largest economy. If all it takes is a couple of iffy U.S. mortgage companies to spark the 2008 financial crash - the shock waves of the U.K. being 'seriously wounded' would be tsunami like by comparison. Needless to say, it isn't in the EU's interests to let that happen - let alone actually facilitate it. To conclude: some short term adjustments will be required and may be uncomfortable for some but, in the long term, we'll be much better off. And, if the EU does struggle down the road, although we won't be immune from the fallout - but we'll be much better off than the 27 members locked in the union.
Tim.

cantagril

Experienced member
1,864 425
When you say project fear has failed to materialise you're jumping the gun a bit are you not? We're not even out yet - let's see what happens when we are. Even then we won't really know for 10 years or so whether we've been seriously wounded or not.
Another optimist! :D

Seeing as wot the simplest deal since dinosaurs roamed the earth has turned out to present the kiddies on the smart table with a problem or two, it well be that getting out of the EU mess (and recovering from that process) may take almost as long as getting into it. We can catch up in a few decades or so and review the situation but you'll need a ouija board to get my vox pop.

cantagril

Experienced member
1,864 425
On the Article 50 petition: I see that voting has slowed down to a trickle - less than a thousand a minute at present. God help them when the footie comes on.

Atilla

Legendary member
18,579 2,579
Latest (brilliant) offering from Jonathan Pie. Enjoy . . .

I find this guy so irritating he makes me look like a walk in the park.

Somebody needs to smash a custard pie in his face, they really do. What with all his effing and blinding (something I can relate to) but he really is a piece of horrible stuff that one might step in.

Surprised you've taken a liking to him Tim. You certainly do a have a touch of Mr Hyde about you. :eek:

Signalcalc

2,548 499
I find this guy so irritating he makes me look like a walk in the park.

Somebody needs to smash a custard pie in his face, they really do. What with all his effing and blinding (something I can relate to) but he really is a piece of horrible stuff that one might step in.

Surprised you've taken a liking to him Tim. You certainly do a have a touch of Mr Hyde about you. :eek:
One of the best comedians around at the moment and decent comedians are in short supply.

cantagril

Experienced member
1,864 425
Cultural enrichment, diversity. No, for the first time they are saying terrorism, death to non believers. Well that's a new twist, some truth telling coming out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47677657
Not exactly a new twist as the "death to unbelievers" is a subject in the Koran, though usually with the qualification that one has to preach to them first and they then have to refuse to convert. So really they've been saying similar things for 1400+ years.

Interesting factlet is that "muslim" means somebody who submits and "Islam' being submission.... or surrender, depending on your take.

Last edited:

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,339 2,355
Not exactly a new twist as the "death to unbelievers" is a subject in the Koran, though usually with the qualification that one has to preach to them first and they then have to refuse to convert. So really they've been saying similar things for 1400+ years.

Interesting factlet is that "muslim" means somebody who submits and "Islam' being submission.... or surrender, depending on your take.
New twist for the BBC then. Must be a foreign news generated story that slipped through the bias filter.:)

mike.

2,098 701
Just to add some context, All the leavers were signing it on twitter under false names and multiple times with the same email address just to see how secure it was for the laugh... 80% are from overseas too, The whole petition has become a farce.

Secondly, The petition is to get MP's to "consider it for debate in parliament" Have they not been debating it for the last 2.5 years ??

cantagril

Experienced member
1,864 425
Just to add some context, All the leavers were signing it on twitter under false names and multiple times with the same email address just to see how secure it was for the laugh... 80% are from overseas too, The whole petition has become a farce.

Secondly, The petition is to get MP's to "consider it for debate in parliament" Have they not been debating it for the last 2.5 years ??
The first part seems to be the case - I just tried signing up with two different names but the same email address, one a couple of minutes after the other and they both went through. I also tried signing up with a foreign email address and that also went through and I received the email link to click; however, to be fair, the qualifying box to tick states that one must be either a British Citizen or a UK resident. I suppose this makes the petition about as as reliable as the Vote Leave campaign and only slightly less of a scam.

It does seem to be a waste of time in the first place as the end result of the petition is a foregone conclusion: another pointless debate.