Brexit and the Consequences

Signalcalc

2,755 555
My guess is that the EU will grant an extension but at the cost €5Bn/month, money grabbing b'stards they are.

Atilla

Legendary member
18,676 2,593
My guess is that the EU will grant an extension but at the cost €5Bn/month, money grabbing b'stards they are.
Uncertainty costs time and money. Everybody loses.

Colossal waste of two years plus reputational damage.

Hope lessons learned worth it? (y)

timsk

Legendary member
6,912 1,794
They must vote and vote until there is a deal, oops too late, the clock’s run out.
Teresa May will get her lousy deal through next week because the spineless MPs would rather agree to that than have a long extension of Article 50. Even if she fails, she'll just keep nibbling away at the ERG and the DUP and bringing her deal back again and again until they eventually cave in. So, it looks like it's game over to me, time me thinks to iron the white handkerchiefs and practice waving them submissively.
Teresa May: 1 / UK: 0.

The very best that brexiteers can hope for is that - for a third time - her deal fails to get the backing of Parliament and that Nigel Farage is successful in lobbying Eurosceptic leaders and one of them exercises their veto to the EU granting us an extension. That's the only way that I can see we'll leave on the 29th. But the odds against that happening are longer than a very long long thing. Likely as not, this time next week this thread will be history.
:cry:
Tim.

2,174 526
Teresa May will get her lousy deal through next week because the spineless MPs would rather agree to that than have a long extension of Article 50. Even if she fails, she'll just keep nibbling away at the ERG and the DUP and bringing her deal back again and again until they eventually cave in. So, it looks like it's game over to me, time me thinks to iron the white handkerchiefs and practice waving them submissively.

The very best that brexiteers can hope for is that - for a third time - her deal fails to get the backing of Parliament and that Nigel Farage is successful in lobbying Eurosceptic leaders and one of them exercises their veto to the EU granting us an extension. That's the only way that I can see we'll leave on the 29th. But the odds against that happening are longer than a very long long thing. Likely as not, this time next week this thread will be history.
Tim.
Too early to surrender - this is just Brexit's Dunkirk moment. The current now-disenfranchised voters will not forget when the (election) day of reckoning comes.

Last edited:

Atilla

Legendary member
18,676 2,593
If I were the EU - I would not grant an extension to UK unless presented with something substantial resembling a plan.

Three options:

1. Accept current withdrawal agreement to progess to next stage (third time lucky? I hope not as £39bn cost for two years is ludicrous)
2. New elections (unlikely as Tories will lose to Labour)
3. Another referendum (voted out)

Daaa daaaaaa - Postpone/Cancel Article 50 - Best option coming to you very soon! (y)

Signalcalc

2,755 555

Tim.

Shall we have a vote to decide if we are to extend the thread :ROFLMAO:

Atilla

Legendary member
18,676 2,593
Dear SC,

Nothing would give me more joy than to hear Eurosceptics and Brexiteers pack up their bags and leave the Tory party. I may even get to vote for them one day again.

However, I think that is unlikely. Consequence of Brexit will be carried around like long-wearing luggage for sometime to come.

I think you do have an OCD element about you though that's for sure.

Brexit has become a drug to the UK, self indulgent intoxication with thyself. Withdrawal symptoms will be tough to deal with.

People have forgotten what life was like before Brexit. Be nice to visit the good old days again. :love: :love: :love:

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,393 2,372
If I were the EU - I would not grant an extension to UK unless presented with something substantial resembling a plan.

Three options:

1. Accept current withdrawal agreement to progess to next stage (third time lucky? I hope not as £39bn cost for two years is ludicrous)
2. New elections (unlikely as Tories will lose to Labour)
3. Another referendum (voted out)

Daaa daaaaaa - Postpone/Cancel Article 50 - Best option coming to you very soon! (y)
1. Unless a withdrawal deal is agreed before the end of the month, we leave with no deal.
2. There isn't a snowball in hells chance that Labour will form the next Govt as long as Corbyn and McDonnell are at the helm.
3. Another referendum on what! May's deal or no deal as we have already voted to leave. So remaining is not an option.

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,393 2,372
Too early to surrender - this is just Brexit's Dunkirk moment. The current now-disenfranchised voters will not forget when the (election) day of reckoning comes.
The will be no surrender. Escalation a more realistic course.

Signalcalc

2,755 555
Dear SC,

Nothing would give me more joy than to hear Eurosceptics and Brexiteers pack up their bags and leave the Tory party. I may even get to vote for them one day again.

However, I think that is unlikely. Consequence of Brexit will be carried around like long-wearing luggage for sometime to come.

I think you do have an OCD element about you though that's for sure.

Brexit has become a drug to the UK, self indulgent intoxication with thyself. Withdrawal symptoms will be tough to deal with.

People have forgotten what life was like before Brexit. Be nice to visit the good old days again. :love::love::love:
I agree I vote to keep the thread running, after all what would I do with 4 hours of each day without it, it's like an intravenous thread drip :love:(y)o_O

Reactions: timsk and Atilla

cantagril

Experienced member
1,977 448
I agree I vote to keep the thread running, after all what would I do with 4 hours of each day without it, it's like an intravenous thread drip :love:(y)o_O
There's probably not much danger of it ending even if the vote goes the wrong way by a few percent - I'm sure the Continuers would be able to keep stringing it along for years through a series of debates and votes designed to frustrate the Enders until finally it would be euthanised by the EU Sharky..... or maybe just continue just as things were before the first vote to End it.