Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change in Non-Farm Payrolls: -175K (-263K Previous)

Unemployment Rate: 9.9% (9.8% Previous)

Change in Manufacturing Payrolls: -45K (-51K Previous)

Average Hourly Earnings (MoM): 2.2% (2.5% Previous)

Average Weekly Hours: 33.1 (33.0 Previous)

Today’s NFP report due at 13:30 GMT is the marquee event risk of the week in the currency market as traders try to assess the sustainability of the global recovery trade going forward. The US economy remains a laggard amongst the G-3 as job losses have continued to mount. In Eurozone for example German unemployment declined for the fourth consecutive month indicating a marked improvement in labor demand. Even in export driven Japan which has been particularly hard hit by the global recession the unemployment rate improved dramatically in October to 5.3% from a record high of 5.7% set two months prior.

As we’ve noted frequently over the past week, US economy cannot generate organic demand going forward until labor conditions stabilize and ultimately improve providing fresh disposable income for consumers. To that end despite a slight tilt to the positive, this month’s pre-NFP labor reports offer a decidedly mixed picture. Here is how the data stacks up.

Arguments for Stronger Payrolls Report

1. Average Jobless Claims Dip to 512k Compared to 552k a Month Prior

2. Challenger Reports Drops to a Lowest Pace of Layoffs Since March 2008

3. Continuing Claims at 5.79M Compared to 6.09M from a Month Before

4. ADP Reports Private Sector Job Losses at -254K, Lowest Since July 2008

5. Employment Component of Manufacturing ISM Rose to 53.1 Compared to 46.2 Last Month

6. Monster.com Employment Index edges up to 120 from 119

Arguments for Weaker Payrolls Report

1. Employment Component of Non-Manufacturing ISM dropped to 41.1 from 44.3

2. Conference Board Consumer Confidence Unexpectedly Dips to 47.7 from 53.4

3. Strike Activity slightly rises

4. University of Michigan Confidence decreased to 70.6 from 73.5

Perhaps the strongest argument for a better NFP print is the sharp decline in the weekly jobless claims which is always the first step towards and improvement in labor markets. That data point however is offset by the disappointing reading in the employment subcomponent of the ISM Non Manufacturing report which has an 85% correlation with the NFP number.

Morning everyone,
The Key data to look out for today will be the US unemployment rate which is the most important piece of data that will be watched closely by hedge funds...

The market is expecting 9.9%
If it is 10.0% or higher, expect a huge sell-off.
If it is 9.9% or lower, the markets will shoot up.

1 decimal point today will make all the difference!!!

Data out at 1:30pm UK time

Morning everyone,
The Key data to look out for today will be the US unemployment rate which is the most important piece of data that will be watched closely by hedge funds...

The market is expecting 9.9%
If it is 10.0% or higher, expect a huge sell-off.
If it is 9.9% or lower, the markets will shoot up.

1 decimal point today will make all the difference!!!

Data out at 1:30pm UK time

what is your gut feeling which way it will go?

Are we all just waiting for 1.30pm? Is anyone actually trading the market?

Ive made some trends Pentlow old buddy old pal.

Sorry for going over the top but just glad to hear from someone while we wait.

Made a nice 23 pnts on the dow from shorting from over 10,000 last night.
Made 20pnts on ftse going long from a trendline on the 10TF. (if i had trusted myself to make more trades i would have made more)
Took 13 pips (should have held out for more) on shorting eur/$.

So a few quid up but nothing to dance about.

Calm before the storm.

All the best my friend.

:)

Ive made some trends Pentlow old buddy old pal.

Sorry for going over the top but just glad to hear from someone while we wait.

Made a nice 23 pnts on the dow from shorting from over 10,000 last night.
Made 20pnts on ftse going long from a trendline on the 10TF. (if i had trusted myself to make more trades i would have made more)
Took 13 pips (should have held out for more) on shorting eur/$.

So a few quid up but nothing to dance about.

Calm before the storm.

All the best my friend.

Well done and good luck today.

Well done and good luck today.

Thanks my friend.

Just a question, if we are expecting good news then are we expecting dow and clan up, dollar down, euro up, oil up and gold.....hmmm gold is a difficult one. Very high at the moment but positive markets likely to mean more risk appetite and therefore less risk aversion into gold? Tricky one. But wondering if worth a punt for a short given we are so high and near 1100? With tight stop loss?

Thanks my friend.

Just a question, if we are expecting good news then are we expecting dow and clan up, dollar down, euro up, oil up and gold.....hmmm gold is a difficult one. Very high at the moment but positive markets likely to mean more risk appetite and therefore less risk aversion into gold? Tricky one. But wondering if worth a punt for a short given we are so high and near 1100? With tight stop loss?

For what its worth i have just been thinking that the NFP figures may dissapoint, ie that everyone is expecting a good figure, but isnt that already priced into the market? i was reading this am that the market has usually already risen, before NFP start decling. Therefore if the % is 9.9 I cannot think there would be a large move either way. i think we have to see either below or above 9.9% to see any meaningful move. There is always a short term reaction to the news, but we have to wait a while to see really how the markets perceive the siuation. Is this a classic "by the rumour sell the fact" situation. So basically i am saying i have no idea!

Re: gold - I think it's too high, everyone jumped on the gold bandwagon when India bought, and everyone's expecting China to buy, if they do, I think sell the fact, if they don't, sell anyway haha.

For what its worth i have just been thinking that the NFP figures may dissapoint, ie that everyone is expecting a good figure, but isnt that already priced into the market? i was reading this am that the market has usually already risen, before NFP start decling. Therefore if the % is 9.9 I cannot think there would be a large move either way. i think we have to see either below or above 9.9% to see any meaningful move. There is always a short term reaction to the news, but we have to wait a while to see really how the markets perceive the siuation. Is this a classic "by the rumour sell the fact" situation. So basically i am saying i have no idea!

Thanks for sharing that info Pentlow and i agree we wont really know until after the event.

I am thinking of doing the opposite of the first move LOL!

I cant figure out what oil is telling me! The 4H chart shows a bull flag but why drop so much this morning before announcement?

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.