Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Atilla,
If you are cash reach atm, but are not an owner occupier, I would investigate several possibilities very carefully. Renting is a poss option, especially if for any reasons you need to live in a patricular place due to work or family location. You can calculate the cost of renting and compare it to the cost of the money supply + the insurance/maintenance if you considere bying. IMHO and it is only an opinion, that the market has a substancial room to fall, so now is the time to safe for a good deposit to buy in a few years time, providing one can wait so long. This advise I give to my own kids, ( in early 20ties). The housing market in a long term is a save investment, but every situation has different ingredients. Buy in order to be an owner occupier, has got different things to consider then if one buys to let. In the UK owner occupier is the largest part of the type of house ownership, and this market will always move though at a slower pace. The buy-to-let market is a different scenario. People who bought properties to let within the last 3 years are maintaining very small margins of profit, if at all. Some have aready sold or are forced to sell or give it up to be repossesed. Larger landlords are either buying neutral, or buy using the profits from renting portfolio.
If one has to buy now, one has to make sure it is first of all a reasonable price, secondly, it is reasonable to assume the price of the bought property might diminish over the next 2/3 years by a large margin (15-35%). Taking this into account renting if only possible seems to be a real option, with the view to buy later on.
Best wishes,
2be

Hi 2be,

We already have a 4bed property and looking at buying a second one in Worthing and renting out the London property.

Looking at property prices closely and having seen many on Rightmove as well as visits to some, I can see prices have come off about £30K on £300K properties since Xmas already. However, I still see these properties as over priced for what they are in Worthing.

In 95 I sold my house in Hainault for £65K and moved to a flat in Leytonstone for £37K. This was post Thatcher crises years of early 90s when house prices went up and plummeted. Same 3bed property last year in Hainault was almost £300K.

I really don't think property prices are worth current inflated prices. However, the market still has strength and people with money to spare like Chump. If house prices came down to 4 x my income I'd easilly buy another one.

The problem is determining the ideal point to buy the second property. Hence price drops and expectations very important to me at the mo. I'm thinking of looking to buy near Winter time when the doom and gloom is likely to be worse and prices sufficiently deflated to enable us to buy a bigger house for less bucks.

Time will tell all and show us the way I'd guess. :whistle:rolleyes:

This is all presuming that you will have a job !!! I think the other point poeple miss is that if growth starts to slow... profits get hit and companies will have to contract in size...

As the economy becomes fragile things most people are still delluded this is why they are slow to act... in 2001 I was buying a 3 bed detached house in Leigh on Sea, Essex for £100K and the thought of a mortgage that size was frightening and i had a way higher than average income + interest rate of 3% ... now I know many people with Mortgages of 200K plus some with 500K plus !! in just 6 years the perspective has been massively skewed by the usual suspects..

Estate agents
Bankers
The government

The market will always tell us what a house is worth... Im just glad I am out of it for now...

Hi 2be,

The problem is determining the ideal point to buy the second property. Hence price drops and expectations very important to me at the mo. I'm thinking of looking to buy near Winter time when the doom and gloom is likely to be worse and prices sufficiently deflated to enable us to buy a bigger house for less bucks.

On the current outlook that would be my thinking. In the depths of the 90s recession amid doom & gloom, having been in rental for 3 yrs I bought (what seemed to me then) quite an expensive house at bargain price . Glad i did. Sold it long time ago.

lol..The longer I live the funnier I find people. Imagine the price of property goes down because of a number of factors one of which is certainly the availability of credit to provide a mortgage..so the guys sat eagerly waiting for his moment clutching his 10% deposit cries Eureka it's my turn ..BUT on the very factor that helps send the capital price down it is now going to cost him probably at least that on the income side in terms of his mortage cost repayments ;) ...indeed if lending institutions are paying between 8 and 9% on the wholesale price of capital (and they are ) then where does that put their retail lending rate going forward ;) ...perhaps those people waiting should think a bit more about what they are waiting and wishing for ...LOL it's a chess game really

This is all presuming that you will have a job !!!
The market will always tell us what a house is worth... Im just glad I am out of it for now...

i like it! - Remember last recession in US and UK. The Government did NOT confirm teh recession untill it was over, the same was the case with the bankers, the economist, the estate agents etc etc.

They have an interest to keep it in a boom boom sentiment!

Believe me, there will be a meltdown, a severe one, very bad indeed, the worst is not round the corner, will take 10/15 years from now. The shrewd are already making the plans!

Believe me, there will be a meltdown, a severe one, very bad indeed, the worst is not round the corner, will take 10/15 years from now. The shrewd are already making the plans!

I may believe you if you provide reasoning as to why what you have said will happen and why it will take 10 to 15 years ?

Paul

I think the current issues are very different to the previous downturns, and they were different from the one's before ... the only similarity is that they were all downturns... but it ends there...

The world is vastly different to the early 90's ... this i can confirm... cause if this were 1991 I would not be on this forum... as they were not invented yet!! .. along with a load of other stuff...

It never fails to amaze me the amount of people who are ready to compare the future against the past to look for levels or price judgments... this is crazy !!! plain crazy !! you have to take what is in front of you now... and GUESS...

things I can confirm today..

This is not the year 1990 !!!
House prices have risen a lot over the past 10 years
The price of stuff has gone up in the past year (bread / petrol / gas / TAX / train fares etc etc)
The banks are not lending as freely as they were a year or so ago

things I do not know about...

Where inflation is going ? and how the interest rates will be set against this ?
How many people are not sleeping tonight because they cannot meet their Credit payments ?
What I will need to pay to fill my car with petrol 1 year from now ?
etc
etc
etc
..................etc

Conclusion.... uncertainty - doubt - skepticism about the economy and house prices !!

Answer... reduce exposure risk as far as possible... and wait !!!

have a look at the Nationwide house price index on their web site. just type in house price index at the top of the page.
since 1950 house prices have gone above trend price on 4 occasions and every time they have come back to trend price and below. The house price index was at £178000 in April and the trend price is at £140000. I think they will meet again sometime in the next 3 to 7 years, a 20% fall should do it. some house prices will fall more some will fall less, but a good time to buy will be when they are close together. i may be wrong but that's when i will be buying.

Last edited:
I think the current issues are very different to the previous downturns, and they were different from the one's before ... the only similarity is that they were all downturns... but it ends there...

Some similarities and certainly number of factors which are not so similar. Consider pros and cons on their impact and merit.

The world is vastly different to the early 90's ... this i can confirm... cause if this were 1991 I would not be on this forum... as they were not invented yet!! .. along with a load of other stuff...

World may be a little different but human beings are pretty much the same and so are houses...

It never fails to amaze me the amount of people who are ready to compare the future against the past to look for levels or price judgments... this is crazy !!! plain crazy !! you have to take what is in front of you now... and GUESS...

Some people like Chump have seen it all before. He is the master property tycoon that guy. I don't think he guesses he knows...

things I can confirm today..

This is not the year 1990 !!! In what terms. I was here in 1990 and I'm still here few miles down the road. What are you talking about...

House prices have risen a lot over the past 10 years. It never fails to amaze me the amount of people who are ready to compare the future against the past to look for levels or price judgments... Crazy boy!!! :cheesy:

The price of stuff has gone up in the past year (bread / petrol / gas / TAX / train fares etc etc) Inflation is not new...

The banks are not lending as freely as they were a year or so ago

things I do not know about...

Where inflation is going ? and how the interest rates will be set against this ?
How many people are not sleeping tonight because they cannot meet their Credit payments ?
What I will need to pay to fill my car with petrol 1 year from now ?
etc
etc
etc
..................etc

Conclusion.... uncertainty - doubt - skepticism about the economy and house prices !!

Answer... reduce exposure risk as far as possible... and wait !!!

Too many sweeping profound statements with no substance imo. To dismiss history and the past is a mistake.

I've seen this in the 70s, 80, 90s and 2000s.

I concur with your pessimistic views but can't see it lasting more than couple of years.

Too many sweeping profound statements with no substance imo. To dismiss history and the past is a mistake.

I've seen this in the 70s, 80, 90s and 2000s.

I concur with your pessimistic views but can't see it lasting more than couple of years.

Sweeping profound statements.... this is exactly my point!!! ... this an attack on the "confirmers" out there who seem to believe that these things are a simple "cyclical" problem, and due to the fact they may have been alive during previous dowturns and problems cannot seem to acknowledge that their own knowledge might be flawed as I am trying to illustrate in my previous post..

If I can I would like to qualify each point in turn..

pro's and cons.. yes I agree... each on merit.. if you look back through my previous posts I have in fact stated that I think the Land shortage in the UK might go some way to supporting price... I am not all doom and gloom..:cheesy:

Some people like Chump have seen it all before. He is the master property tycoon that guy. I don't think he guesses he knows...

no he doesnt "know" perhaps you can qualify this statement ???

This is not the year 1990 !!! In what terms. I was here in 1990 and I'm still here few miles down the road. What are you talking about...

Exactly my point again... yes I can confirm its not the year 1990 ... its a fact.. perhaps you think its a stupid thing to say but I think your missing the point... this I can confirm

House prices have risen a lot over the past 10 years. It never fails to amaze me the amount of people who are ready to compare the future against the past to look for levels or price judgments... Crazy boy!!!

Again... its a simple thing prehaps your looking to deeply into this... I can confirm that house prices have risen at lot... simple as that... dont look for the hidden meaning.. Its not comparing the past with the future... its a statement of fact that I can say this...

and indeed inflation is not new.. you are correct... I never said it was.. again I am confirming what I know to be true in reality....

its what I dont know that worries me and that is the whole point !! :)

Hi 2be,

We already have a 4bed property and looking at buying a second one in Worthing and renting out the London property.

Looking at property prices closely and having seen many on Rightmove as well as visits to some, I can see prices have come off about £30K on £300K properties since Xmas already. However, I still see these properties as over priced for what they are in Worthing.

In 95 I sold my house in Hainault for £65K and moved to a flat in Leytonstone for £37K. This was post Thatcher crises years of early 90s when house prices went up and plummeted. Same 3bed property last year in Hainault was almost £300K.

I really don't think property prices are worth current inflated prices. However, the market still has strength and people with money to spare like Chump. If house prices came down to 4 x my income I'd easilly buy another one.

Hi Atilla,
It is good that you are not in a hurry to buy atm.
Just a few things to consider:
Proportion of the rent yield to the current value of the property and to the outstanding mortgage. There are many areas that the current rent yield is diproportionally lower in respect of the current value of the property, and there are areas that the premium one has to pay for the property due to its location makes it even less attractive for renting.
What type of the rented property is more likely to rent well. IMO one and two bedroom appartments are much easier to let then a 4 bed house.
I have found houses much harder work that smaller appartments. Things to consider: HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation) "politically correct" legislation makes it much harder work, to start with. It states that if there are more then 2 unrelated people living in any rented property it is an HMO!!! You have to register it and have the current fire spec, rooms have to be at certain sizes and so forth. The HMO registration alone would devalue your 4bed house and they will charge you for doing this harm to yourself, not to mention the "other ajustments" you would have to do at your own cost.
If you have any outstanding mortgage on it, the mortgage company would like to know when the status has been changed from the owner occupier to the buy to let property, and they will incease the interest on the loan, providing that they agree to this change. They will also insist on taking an insurance policy which covers rented propertry.
Now lets imagine a scenario, you are in sunny Worthing, and got a phonecall, that a new tenant, who moved a couple of months ago, last night well passed midnight, came home late, was noisy, has annoyed the reming three tenants, and before going to bed managed to leave the bathroom tap running, resulting in a sewere water damage to the rest of the property. The reming three tenants are adament YOU SORT IT OUT. The place is a mess, and they feel threatened, accusing you to be in the breach of contract with them, as they feel harrassed by the new 4th tenant. What do you do?
Jump in the car and in 3/4hrs depending on traffic, you are at the doors of your renting empire (embrionic though). Even before you have entered you see that the front garden looks somehow different, and the front gate is off the hinges. You get in and suddenly you do not know whether to fell sorry for yourself on for the tenants. Obviously you cannot be angry, as that could be interperted as an abusive landlord, bothering the peacfull existence of the law obiding tenants, who if the need be will be aided by the Legal Aid to take you to court, as above all you have enterred their home without giving them a written 24hrs notice!!! (Nice!, but that is the law) You proceede to the kitchen, and are getting more depressed, a pile of well stacked dirty diches in and around the sink. Even the sink looks different, to what it looked when you have been living there, not to metion the cocker, and the oven! You try to speak with "the troublesome" tenant, and hear that it is the other tenants, especially the yunger one that make him/her so unwelcome, and do not do any washing up,so after going for a pub meal last night, the tenant had a few bears, and quietly got back home to sleep. The tenant also states that if is ufair to be treated like this. (As it goes on you are getting more confused) The tenant ask you to sort it out, and waves at you the copy of an ASTA ( Assurred Tenancy Shortold Agreement) with the first 12 months as a Fixed Term. The ASTA fixed term cannot be terminated before the fixed period, unless by a common conscent. It can be termineted under the section8, for the non payment on rent in arrears of 8wks, but the tenant is paying regularly, and so do the other 3 tenants. Suddenly the fact that you have to replace the half callapsed kithen and corridor cealling has taken a second place. The reming tenants have anothe 6 moths to run on their ASTA also. The story can go on and on. You might say, I will use the Letting Agent, some of them are ok, but the majority are not so, unless you are preparred to part with a substanciall percentage of your rent, you will receive a service in accordabce with the amount being charged, which in many ways is a right thing too. You have rented it out, as you were in a hurry, empty 4 bed house costs a lot of money just to stand there empty. Now you wish you were in front of your computer, entering into the direction of a well established trend with a 15pps SL. Renting one or two bedroom flats is much, much easier. People can effort them easier, therefore they have a highier occupancy rate, making them a better investment alltogether. I would rather have two 1bed flats than a one 4 bed house in the same letting area. By the way, on this I speak with my own experience, and now I would not do what I have done in the past with the enthusiasm and attitude of a yunger person, as I used to be. Sorry for the lenght of this posting.
Best wishes Atilla, and happy trading to all, but be aware there is not a free lunch there for anybody, either in trading or in property letting. You have been warned!
2be

Last edited:
Hope my last post has not put you off from the idea of letting, it can be profitable activity, but it usualy is a long term trade, lets say for a 50 years period. I look for the residual income, and the capital gains is not my primary concern. What matters is that every property has to bring some profit within the first weeks of purchase, and should continue to do so, now and in the future. Otherwise one is purchasing a car with a big hole in the fuel tank, it is not only dangerous but also expensive!
Best wishes,
2be :confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Atilla,
It is good that you are not in a hurry to buy atm.
Just a few things to consider:
Proportion of the rent yield to the current value of the property and to the outstanding mortgage. There are many areas that the current rent yield is diproportionally lower in respect of the current value of the property, and there are areas that the premium one has to pay for the property due to its location makes it even less attractive for renting.
What type of the rented property is more likely to rent well. IMO one and two bedroom appartments are much easier to let then a 4 bed house.
I have found houses much harder work that smaller appartments. Things to consider: HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation) "politically correct" legislation makes it much harder work, to start with. It states that if there are more then 2 unrelated people living in any rented property it is an HMO!!! You have to register it and have the current fire spec, rooms have to be at certain sizes and so forth. The HMO registration alone would devalue your 4bed house and they will charge you for doing this harm to yourself, not to mention the "other ajustments" you would have to do at your own cost.
If you have any outstanding mortgage on it, the mortgage company would like to know when the status has been changed from the owner occupier to the buy to let property, and they will incease the interest on the loan, providing that they agree to this change. They will also insist on taking an insurance policy which covers rented propertry.
Now lets imagine a scenario, you are in sunny Worthing, and got a phonecall, that a new tenant, who moved a couple of months ago, last night well passed midnight, came home late, was noisy, has annoyed the reming three tenants, and before going to bed managed to leave the bathroom tap running, resulting in a sewere water damage to the rest of the property. The reming three tenants are adament YOU SORT IT OUT. The place is a mess, and they feel threatened, accusing you to be in the breach of contract with them, as they feel harrassed by the new 4th tenant. What do you do?
Jump in the car and in 3/4hrs depending on traffic, you are at the doors of your renting empire (embrionic though). Even before you have entered you see that the front garden looks somehow different, and the front gate is off the hinges. You get in and suddenly you do not know whether to fell sorry for yourself on for the tenants. Obviously you cannot be angry, as that could be interperted as an abusive landlord, bothering the peacfull existence of the law obiding tenants, who if the need be will be aided by the Legal Aid to take you to court, as above all you have enterred their home without giving them a written 24hrs notice!!! (Nice!, but that is the law) You proceede to the kitchen, and are getting more depressed, a pile of well stacked dirty diches in and around the sink. Even the sink looks different, to what it looked when you have been living there, not to metion the cocker, and the oven! You try to speak with "the troublesome" tenant, and hear that it is the other tenants, especially the yunger one that make him/her so unwelcome, and do not do any washing up,so after going for a pub meal last night, the tenant had a few bears, and quietly got back home to sleep. The tenant also states that if is ufair to be treated like this. (As it goes on you are getting more confused) The tenant ask you to sort it out, and waves at you the copy of an ASTA ( Assurred Tenancy Shortold Agreement) with the first 12 months as a Fixed Term. The ASTA fixed term cannot be terminated before the fixed period, unless by a common conscent. It can be termineted under the section8, for the non payment on rent in arrears of 8wks, but the tenant is paying regularly, and so do the other 3 tenants. Suddenly the fact that you have to replace the half callapsed kithen and corridor cealling has taken a second place. The reming tenants have anothe 6 moths to run on their ASTA also. The story can go on and on. You might say, I will use the Letting Agent, some of them are ok, but the majority are not so, unless you are preparred to part with a substanciall percentage of your rent, you will receive a service in accordabce with the amount being charged, which in many ways is a right thing too. You have rented it out, as you were in a hurry, empty 4 bed house costs a lot of money just to stand there empty. Now you wish you were in front of your computer, entering into the direction of a well established trend with a 15pps SL. Renting one or two bedroom flats is much, much easier. People can effort them easier, therefore they have a highier occupancy rate, making them a better investment alltogether. I would rather have two 1bed flats than a one 4 bed house in the same letting area. By the way, on this I speak with my own experience, and now I would not do what I have done in the past with the enthusiasm and attitude of a yunger person, as I used to be. Sorry for the lenght of this posting.
Best wishes Atilla, and happy trading to all, but be aware there is not a free lunch there for anybody, either in trading or in property letting. You have been warned!
2be

Thank you for this excellent informative post 2be.

I do agree and feel the same about renting one bed properties compared to a whole house. It is a serious consideration managing lodgers. I did have three at various stages in the Hainault property of which one I had to despatch. Bloody alcholic he was. :mad:. The other two were brilliant.

My objective is to buy at the bottom of the market and sell existing London property at the top. Easier said than done. Matter of timing and a little bit of effort in the next 3 to 4 years. I'd expect considerable returns in 10s of K for the effort. In fact £50K for starters if not more, which to me is substantial monies...

I'm thinking the Olympics in London with all the £10bn investment is likely to have some impact.

Once again many thanks. :)

Thank you for this excellent informative post 2be.

I do agree and feel the same about renting one bed properties compared to a whole house. It is a serious consideration managing lodgers. I did have three at various stages in the Hainault property of which one I had to despatch. Bloody alcholic he was. :mad:. The other two were brilliant.

My objective is to buy at the bottom of the market and sell existing London property at the top. Easier said than done. Matter of timing and a little bit of effort in the next 3 to 4 years. I'd expect considerable returns in 10s of K for the effort. In fact £50K for starters if not more, which to me is substantial monies...

I'm thinking the Olympics in London with all the £10bn investment is likely to have some impact.

Once again many thanks. :)
Hi Atilla,
If you have got currently any bedroom/s which is/are not ocupied, lodgers could be a consideration. Lodgers are in a different category to tenants, lets say in your 1bed flat let to them on ASTA. Lodgers are taken on a totaly different legal basis then the otherwise tenants, but you have to be living at the property where the lodgers are. There is also a tax advantage where the first 3k+ is tax free if you need to declare the income from lodging. English language students are paying in Brighton about £90 pw, packed lunch and evening meal included, otherwise is £70+pw, for just a bed. Sometimes when the bedroom is big enough there can be 2 students in one large bedroom. Some of my friends have been doing it for years, and have enjoyed the frienship with people from around the world, a real bonus on the top of a resonable income. We meet some of the students at social functions, majority of them are realy great. If you would consider it, you should contact the local English Language School, but a good one, preferably registerred with the British Coucil, and speak with the person responsible for placing the students in family homes, and off you go. I am sure your dog would like them too! There is usually shortage of homes for this type of students, and once you are on their list, the school will send the students to you. Summer months are the most likely to have more demand, but many schools operate throughout the year, and would supply you with students for as long as you would like.
The only thing you need to consider, is whether you are prepared to share not only your home, but a bit of your life with these students, of whom many are a great company.
Just an idea, hope you do not mind.
Best wishes,
2be

How will you know when that is ?

Paul

I have the pulse of the nation in London... Read heck of a lot (most of it travelling in the underground) and listen to the news. Being a contractor you get a feel for what's in the wind, coupled with loadsa friends in various industries - most of them in IT and in the financial sector.

Part of the timing is dependant on school and kids. We hope to move before they start secondary school ie they reach 11. That's leaves just under two years but more realistically we'll have to move within one year to go through the daft school selection process.

On a side note I think Labour with their school league tables have really effed up the education system. Plonkers. Makes me mad... :mad: You should have first choice for schools nearest to you. Pupils outside of the catchment - no matter how smart - should be considered in second place. Anybody fancy driving their kids 6 miles when they can walk for 500 meters... :mad:

How will you know when that is ?
Paul

Look for a bullish divergence, maybe also a Hammer and a break of resistance :) LOL
hey just kidding!

as always when there is panic, and guys want to get out at all cost, when there is oversupply, thats when it will be time to get in!

i am afraid it may not be this year or next, maybe a nice wait for 2 years.
There will be lots of bargains............... Many millions to be made then.

all investments have the same thing - GREEd >>>> FEAR >>>>> EMOTIONS >>> PANIC
Many lose - Just a few win! Housing is no different