Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marwan..

The danger is always in estimating things on the large scale.. supply and demand is very tricky.. and the housing market as a whole is extremly sensitive to local pressures and quirkes of FOLK... I can pinpoint certain houses in my area that I am convinced will not sell ... why ? because they are in the wrong end of the street or they are too large for the street they are in...etc etc !!!

now the market appears to be more patchy and localised than ever as the overall dynamics.. lending, inflation, etc etc.. change. A simple national "sell off" might be too simple a way to view things as this this may only happen in say in the North East??? when in Cornwall the prices are supported for very different reasons say tourism? ... BUT .. we could break this down even further... to the macro scale.

As Attila describes.. one of his motives appears to be around the local Schools !! and the dynamic that might be created say in the catchment of this single "good" school will bring about price increase as the demand accelerates.. but 2 streets away from the catchment the prices could be falling..!!!

I believe too many watch News at Ten or read the national papers.. without looking out their own front door so see whats going on..

Couple of weeks ago I have seen on IG that one can spreadbet on the UK housing index .
I think the data is provided by Halifax, or Natonwide, Im not too sure.
Is there anybody trading this index from this forum. I would only imagine this type of trading is a long term, and the leverage(the cost of money supply) might kill the otherwise well trended instrument.
Just a thought,
Happy trading, buying/selling to all,
2be
IG Index - House Prices

Last edited:
Couple of weeks ago I have seen on IG that one can spreadbet on the UK housing index .
I think the data is provided by Halifax, or Natonwide, Im not too sure.
Is there anybody trading this index from this forum. I would only imagine this type of trading is a long term, and the leverage(the cost of money supply) might kill the otherwise well trended instrument.
Just a thought,
Happy trading, buying/selling to all,
2be
IG Index - House Prices

They base their prices from the quarterly HBOS house price index. They only offer 3 month futures with Sep being the last one at the minute. They are pricing in a 10 grand drop per quarter at the minute for the UK price (they also offer just London) so it would be difficult to make money on the short side. As the figure comes out quarterly there isn't much movement until the release.

I think next HBOS release is the end of this Month.

Was too late to make money shorting this market. Have done ok from shorting the likes of carpetright and topps tiles but would like to think of other ways to take advantage. Can only think of shorting the £???

They base their prices from the quarterly HBOS house price index. They only offer 3 month futures with Sep being the last one at the minute. They are pricing in a 10 grand drop per quarter at the minute for the UK price (they also offer just London) so it would be difficult to make money on the short side. As the figure comes out quarterly there isn't much movement until the release.

I think next HBOS release is the end of this Month.

Was too late to make money shorting this market. Have done ok from shorting the likes of carpetright and topps tiles but would like to think of other ways to take advantage. Can only think of shorting the £???

Fwiw I've heard some positive rumours about top tiles.

As for property - British Land property portfolio has apparently dropped by 20% on NAV. Of that 17% was in the Q3.

London office portfolio dropped by 6.4%.
Retail (which accounts fro 57% of group portfolio) fell 12.1%.

Good news is they still raised dividends.

Basically, I think come next year perhaps when the worst is over, the three big property companies,

Land Securities, British Land and Hammerson are worth buying. They have taken a battering but once the trough is hit will be worth investing in given high dividends and REITS status.

Anyway, given BLand's results whilst commercial based I do think we are likely to see similar results possibly in the private sector too. :whistling

Fwiw I've heard some positive rumours about top tiles.

As for property - British Land property portfolio has apparently dropped by 20% on NAV. Of that 17% was in the Q3.

London office portfolio dropped by 6.4%.
Retail (which accounts fro 57% of group portfolio) fell 12.1%.

Good news is they still raised dividends.

Basically, I think come next year perhaps when the worst is over, the three big property companies,

Land Securities, British Land and Hammerson are worth buying. They have taken a battering but once the trough is hit will be worth investing in given high dividends and REITS status.

Anyway, given BLand's results whilst commercial based I do think we are likely to see similar results possibly in the private sector too. :whistling

LOL..." Good news is they still raised dividends" ,you call that good news ? Let's just remind ourselves that virtually every UK bank raised divis as recently as Feb/mar '08 now look where they are since that point....nothing so chumpish as chasing yield without concern for the principal.

Expert reaction to house price survey

I'm beginning to think I may have underestimated the housing price falls... :whistling

I thought 15% middle ground between 10 - 20%. I'm now pondering this could well be

20%+ falls... :-0
Hi Atilla,
IMHO 20% drop within the next 2/3 years is the minimum correction of the housing market. Nobody can tell what the market shall do, but for me a kind of crisis would be if the drop surpasses 60%. The current high property prices have already produced a social crisis when a lot of younger people have to stay longer at home, as they cannot afford to buy anything. That in itself leads to social pathology, sadly some girls have circumvented this sorry state of events by choosing to become a single parent at a very young age allowing them to be housed by the council, which in itself only leads to more strees and suffering. The current house prices furnished us with a paradox when more and more people live poorer lives in more expensive houses. I think there is more to come in the way of depreciation in spite of the supposed gurus telling different stories. It is surprising that the human race has such a strong resistace to learn from the past. The market certainly is cyclical, so it is not a great deal that in that cycle it is time for the correction, which some have to dramatise by calling it a crisis. Timing is so important on 10min TF just as well as on 10yearsTF. So 30% drop will not surprise me at all, and I would be tempted to start loading at the drop of 40%, unless I got too much liquidity to dump it somewhere. Only time will show how all of it will unveil, but it is good to be ready to get in at some level, accepting the current market scenario.
Best wished to all,
2be:cool:

The key to all of this will be interest rates and back in 1991 they were up at 17% and not 5% like today. If they go up then yes we will see a similar situation to that of the past. I am unsure why everyone is assuming a massive crash in general prices as the only way that this can happen is through being forced to sell and as yet I have not seen this especially from people who are not first time buyers.

I know my view is contrarian and it will be interesting to see how things do develop.

Paul

Yes interest rates may have been 17% or whatever but that's pretty much irrelevant as mortgages were half the size they are now - I know, I was a mortgage broker back then. Having said that, interest rates or actual mortgage size aren't as relevant as the percentage of net income debt servicing eats up. It is higher now than it was in 89-90.

in addition, peripheral debt - credit cards, car loans and general credit - are FAR more burdensome than they were at the time of the last crash.

There is a perfect storm brewing and there is no doubt whatsoever , that what I thought might just be a modest correction in houseprices, WILL end up as a full blown crash.

The pace of the fall in prices has picked up and I guarantee that we'll see year on year falls of 10% + by October 2008. Next year will be twice as bad as this . . .

Yes interest rates may have been 17% or whatever but that's pretty much irrelevant as mortgages were half the size they are now - I know, I was a mortgage broker back then. Having said that, interest rates or actual mortgage size aren't as relevant as the percentage of net income debt servicing eats up. It is higher now than it was in 89-90.

in addition, peripheral debt - credit cards, car loans and general credit - are FAR more burdensome than they were at the time of the last crash.

There is a perfect storm brewing and there is no doubt whatsoever , that what I thought might just be a modest correction in houseprices, WILL end up as a full blown crash.

The pace of the fall in prices has picked up and I guarantee that we'll see year on year falls of 10% + by October 2008. Next year will be twice as bad as this . . .

A realistic assessment IMHO. If the housing market were a traded share we wouldn't be at all surprised by a 10% correction. Isn't the housing market just an illiquid share subject more than most to the "madness of crowds effect". Quite a novel thing though isn't it - a share that has regional issues all subject to a micro-market ?

You can guarantee it can you, well you will be the first expert who has correctly predicted the future that I will have ever come across.

If you have read the reports then what is happening is pretty much what I said it would do. This correction is polarised and in my view will remain so unless other factors come into play such as mass unemployment. Houses will only go down significantly in value if people are forced to sell on a large scale. So far that is not happening except in certain areas. Why would most people who are not first time buyers and are able to afford their mortgage suddenly decide to sell at a whacking great loss ? They wont unless they have to and a large number have built up a large equity in their property. The other arguments that FTB cannot get on the ladder and this will cause prices to crash is also not proven. It is more likely that we will see new products come out such as 100 year mortgages (which Europe has already) which will enable FTB to get on the ladder.

I don't doubt that there will be a correction but unless there are mass repossessions then people will more than likely sit tight and wait if they can afford to do so.

Paul

I don't doubt that there will be a correction but unless there are mass repossessions then people will more than likely sit tight and wait if they can afford to do so.

Paul

I think that's a very relevant point.

A realistic assessment IMHO. If the housing market were a traded share we wouldn't be at all surprised by a 10% correction. Isn't the housing market just an illiquid share subject more than most to the "madness of crowds effect". Quite a novel thing though isn't it - a share that has regional issues all subject to a micro-market ?

Well not necessarily. Different commodities, shares and assets have different attributes.

Wages go up but they don't go down based on unemployment. You could make a case for inflationl eroding purchasing power and so forth but on the whole wages are sticky downwards and slippery upwards.

House prices are similar and also very inelastic with respect to demand and supply as the Turn Over unlike other goods vary from daily to annually kind of attribute.

I think if house prices fell anything beyond 20% I'd be eagerly searching for bargains. At the moment I have cash in hand waiting for that ideal opportune moment.

I know I'm not alone out there... :rolleyes:

I think if house prices fell anything beyond 20% I'd be eagerly searching for bargains. At the moment I have cash in hand waiting for that ideal opportune moment.

I know I'm not alone out there... :rolleyes:

I'm amazed that anybody's buying at the moment unless they have really pressing reasons (eg influential partner or the firm's paying). Bargains for those with patience - heaard a report that the renting market is perking up [due to the waiters] ...... but could well be a desperate estate agent trying to drum up business!

Bit like stalking a share really!

Reactions: 2be
I'm amazed that anybody's buying at the moment unless they have really pressing reasons (eg influential partner or the firm's paying). Bargains for those with patience - heaard a report that the renting market is perking up [due to the waiters] ...... but could well be a desperate estate agent trying to drum up business!

Bit like stalking a share really!

I concur.

My selling strategy would be to reduce price by £5K per month every month.

Watchers will soon pick up exactly what is going on.

Once the true price reached valuing the property at what someone is prepared to buy at you'd have your sale.

If somebody really likes a property they'd be wondering if somebody else has their eye on the same house and so it would be a case of nerves.

The point is sooner or later that optimal equilibrium true value price for the property will ultimately be reached.
(y)

The house building market in london and the surrounding area is grounding to a halt. a few months ago the house builders were pulling out of new developments, then the last 4 to 8 weeks they were slowing down the building of projects which have been started. as of this week they are now stopping some projects mid build. I think the house builders are having major trouble selling existing housing which has just been finished. Over the next 4 years I think all houses priced £1million and below will fall 20%. In America i expect them to fall 40 to 60%.
Housing in the UK is down around 4% year over year and 14% in America. The banks have lost $200 billions between them so far. I expect this figure to double over the next few years. Therefore the interbank market is going to be in trouble for some time yet.
The reason house prices will fall this time round is because the banks will have no money to lend. America will get a recession and will be be close to one. people will lose their jobs. Inflation is rising and will get higher, interest rates will rise.

The reason house prices will fall this time round is because the banks will have no money to lend

Why will that make prices fall ?

people will lose their jobs. Inflation is rising and will get higher, interest rates will rise

If this happens then I agree it will cause a downward price trend.

Paul

The house building market in london and the surrounding area is grounding to a halt. a few months ago the house builders were pulling out of new developments, then the last 4 to 8 weeks they were slowing down the building of projects which have been started. as of this week they are now stopping some projects mid build. I think the house builders are having major trouble selling existing housing which has just been finished. Over the next 4 years I think all houses priced £1million and below will fall 20%. In America i expect them to fall 40 to 60%.
Housing in the UK is down around 4% year over year and 14% in America. The banks have lost $200 billions between them so far. I expect this figure to double over the next few years. Therefore the interbank market is going to be in trouble for some time yet.
The reason house prices will fall this time round is because the banks will have no money to lend. America will get a recession and will be be close to one. people will lose their jobs. Inflation is rising and will get higher, interest rates will rise.

Hi Breadman,

I think this is a very pessimistic view. Yes some of these things can happen but not all at the same time.

I concur we may have a substantial down turn but the two views or perhaps three views are:

1. Deep but short recession - one year or so
2. Shallow but medium term recession - couple of years or so recession
3. Deep and prolonged recession - lasting 3-5 years

The factors are really all in supply and demand and how quickly prices adjust. Quicker prices and wages adjust the shorter the recession.

1. If housing halts with the intensity you suggest and people lose their jobs inflationary pressures would quickly come down. So will the price of oil. Hence monetary policy will be relaxed in due course to compensate.

2. If housing prices adjust accordingly and job losses are restrained along with wage inflation then we'll have a shallow recession which is a little more prolonged.

3. If prices do not adjust sufficiently, inflation runs away along with wage inflation and global economic growth (China & India) continues unchecked with strengthening of their currencies and inflationary pressures then yes the whole global economy can go into stagerred meltdown coupled with stagflation and it can all get very messy.

I can't see the third scenario occurring though as severe falls in price and rises in unemployment will ultimately put a dampener on wage and commodity inflation sooner or later.

So far I reckon our governments in US, UK and more recently EU have got it totally wrong imo.

1. US was stupid with the Iraq war and tax cuts, it's budget and BoP defecits. Bush is an absolute moron with the rest of the republicans who don't know Jack about managing finances. Clinton did fantastic work with government finances on for

2. UK was stupid with not raising interest rates sooner as this debt crises has been going on for the last 2-3 years now so it really should have been restrained much earlier. I had this argument with a friend over a drink and he thought I was being stupid suggesting rates to rise as it would have meant he paid higher mortgage. We'll see who has the last laugh as he has extended him self. (Gloating am I... :eek: Yes forgive me but I am to him).

3. EU so far has been insulated and I think will remain to be so as they don't have an obsession with homes and castles as we do. But they too will be impacted to some extent. I think rising Euro will also cause some problems in the short term.

Apologies for the long blog but housing should be seen within these scenarios and which you believe is likely to be the actual outcome. :confused::rolleyes::whistling

Why will that make prices fall ?

If this happens then I agree it will cause a downward price trend.

Paul

trader333
the banks are short of money now that's why they are having rights issues. that's why the spread between the base rate and mortgage rates is 1 to 1.5%. Mortgage defaults are not even high at the moment they have lost all this money from mortgage backed derivatives. If houses fall 20% here and 40/60% in America the banks will lose at least another 200 billion between them, will they be able to have another round of rights issues and capital injections from foreign investors. They are going to get more and more picky about who they lend money to. We could get to a stage where the banks demand a 10/15/20% deposit for all mortgages. Money supply in Europe and America is running between 10/15% which means alot of money has to go somewhere, it is causing inflation and will drive inflation higher over the next few years. Unless they slow down money supply or increase interest rates which i dont think they will do until it's to late inflation is going to get inbedded in the economy. People will demand yearly wage increases of 5% 6% 7% not the 2% 3% they are getting now. the snow ball affect will come into force.

trader333
the banks are short of money now that's why they are having rights issues. that's why the spread between the base rate and mortgage rates is 1 to 1.5%. Mortgage defaults are not even high at the moment they have lost all this money from mortgage backed derivatives. If houses fall 20% here and 40/60% in America the banks will lose at least another 200 billion between them, will they be able to have another round of rights issues and capital injections from foreign investors. They are going to get more and more picky about who they lend money to. We could get to a stage where the banks demand a 10/15/20% deposit for all mortgages. Money supply in Europe and America is running between 10/15% which means alot of money has to go somewhere, it is causing inflation and will drive inflation higher over the next few years. Unless they slow down money supply or increase interest rates which i dont think they will do until it's to late inflation is going to get inbedded in the economy. People will demand yearly wage increases of 5% 6% 7% not the 2% 3% they are getting now. the snow ball affect will come into force.
We better get trading so in 2/3 years time we will buy it outright, for half of the current price! The rest we shall lend to the banks at a highier interest.:D:cheesy::clap:

Atilla,

3. If prices do not adjust sufficiently, inflation runs away along with wage inflation and global economic growth (China & India) continues unchecked with strengthening of their currencies and inflationary pressures then yes the whole global economy can go into stagerred meltdown coupled with stagflation and it can all get very messy.

You have hit the nail on the head. I think India and China are going to be the reason for the western economies having a very bad recession. India and China are going to conbat inflation in their own countries by allowing their currencies to rise instead of increasing interest rates. The Indians have already started this that's why inflation is picking up already, China may not be that far behind.
Monetary policy in Asia could end up destroying Western economies. It would mean that Asian central banks would export less capital into our bond markets and this would likely lead to a drift higher in real rates around the world.
Asian exchange rates would move sharply higher, which in turn would likely mean higher import prices in the US and Europe.
As Asian exchange rates start to move higher, Asia's private savers would likely start repatriating capital, further amplifying exchange rate and interest rate movements. This would also likely lead to collapses in monetary aggregates in the Europe and the US.
It is all out of our hands we are living on borrowed money in the western world and Asia can call in that debt at any time.

Reactions: 2be