IG Uk house prices

thomcooper

4 0
Has anyone traded the UK house prices on IG? The Halifax Q4 2013 figure (last published figure I believe) was 173685 which IG would presumably interpret as 173.7.

I was assuming that it worked similar to their stock offerings (whereby you pay around the spot price (with a premium if you buy the long dated options), which is a close representation of purchasing the actual shares. If they go up, the price will go up, ditto if they go down...

However, the current JUN-14 spot is 183.7 - a 5% increase over the price 6 months previous (Q4 2013).

So, house prices need to rise at least 5% in 6 months before you realise a profit on a buy trade. Any less & you're going to take a hit.

There also seems to be a bias to the up side - as you can sell the contract for a higher figure than the current March figure - bagging a tidy profit if prices remain flat, never mind slump. Similarly, if house price rises rise in the first half less than 5%, you're turning a profit by selling the contract, even though the market has technically moved away from you.

I presume that IG cannot hedge against this very well & so the premium on the buy side is a look at where things are headed & providing them with a margin of safety. I guess when they have enough sell contracts, they can buy a house, but there is no clear way to hedge against buy orders (except with matched buy orders - as you can't short a 3bed semi in Croydon. I guess there can be some loose hedging by using propco stocks.

I was thinking that the contracts would be a potential way of taking advantage of a property boom without going & buying a rental property, or hedging the value of your home if you thought property prices were due to fall, but the pricing doesn't seem to add up.
:confused:
What are your thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock