Fundamental Analysis What Next for U.K. House Prices?

In 2008 I wrote an article for T2W entitled: Housing Boom – is the party over? in which I categorically stated that I expected house prices to fall substantially and that investors should look to invest in the stock market from 2008 onwards. I was right on both counts. House prices in some areas have dropped as much as 25%, while the average stock market index has nearly doubled.

After a decade long boom due to lower interest rates and easy lending, the party finally came to a sticky end for U.K. property prices in 2009. According to Land Registry, property prices in the U.K. rose by an astronomical 200% in a decade.

Five years on, I find it difficult to make a case for increases in house prices in the U.K. based on numerous factors. To start with, the major U.K. banks are effectively owned by the governments, and they are not much more secure now than they were a few years ago. In addition to that, to balance the books, we have had the austerity measures and cut in benefits which could affect general confidence levels.

Admittedly, in 2008 I was expecting a much bigger fall than what we have seen so far! Housing prices in the U.K. have been propped up by the following measures:

1. Low interest rates meaning that many are able to afford the monthly repayments despite decreases in overall household incomes.
  2. Low rates are keeping ‘forced sellers’ to a minimum as, despite the recession, we have not seen big jumps in repossessions - unlike in previous recessions.
  3. There has been an increase in house buying under shared equity schemes.
  4. Government mortgage guarantee schemes have helped to boost the housing market.
  5. The Euro zone crisis has meant that many wealthy foreigners have been buying homes in the U.K.

So, what are the big stumbling blocks preventing the property market from increasing substantially from now on?

1. A crackdown on interest only mortgages.
  2. A requirement for higher deposits.
  3. Austerity measures, which could lead to uncertainty in the markets, as well as fear within households, resulting in them not wanting not to spend.
  4. Potential increases in unemployment.
  5. The Euro zone crisis.

In addition to the above, the number of Buy to Let mortgages has been gradually increasing as landlords are cashing in on rising rental income, as well as no sign of mortgage rates increasing in the near future. The low interest rates over the last few years has meant that Buy to Let investors have made substantial profits, many to the tune of millions of pounds, as they snap up properties coming into the market at the expense of first time buyers.

What is ironic is that the government is helping these investors by way of low interest rates, and then also paying them a good return in the form of rents via housing benefit payments to tenants. The current cost of housing benefits to the government is well over £20 billion each year. Local councils simply have no houses left in their portfolio!

Some of the blunders of past government policies, both Conservative and Labour, include selling off gold reserves when it was around $200 and also selling council houses at ridiculously low prices. This has meant that the government has incurred substantial losses from the sale of these assets. Housing is the biggest loss, both in terms of not having those assets on the balance sheets (there were many instances of people buying homes at, say, £30,000 and now these houses are worth over £500,000), and now having to pay substantial amounts in housing benefits!

Despite the fall in house prices in the past 5 years and slow increase in salaries, there is still a mismatch between earnings and house prices and the government is simply not doing enough for first time buyers.

As mentioned before, Buy to Let investors have replaced first time buyers as they are snapping up the properties which come to the market, but for how long? Interest rates cannot remain at these levels and, despite the current economic problems, the move can only be up in the years to come. And, if the rental yields do not keep pace with cost increases, then we can expect a big crash, as there will be major panic amongst Buy to Let investors, many of whom are sitting on big portfolios.

To kick-start the housing market, we need to see an influx of first time buyers, and for that to happen we need to see a fall of at least another 15% in house prices. However, given the extent of the government intervention in the market to prop up the prices, it can be difficult to predict when the next fall will occur.

My opinion on the housing market is do not be fooled. After some stability this year and in 2014, prices are likely to increase, maybe even to double digits. But from 2015/16 onwards, I believe house prices will fall again, and I would not be at all surprised if we see a recession from 2020 onwards.

Governments cannot prop up prices for long, Quantitative easing (QE) has to end some day. So, what will happen when the money taps are turned off without a booming economy in place with low unemployment levels? All they are doing is delaying the inevitable. Eventually, market forces will take over and the landing will be very hard! Very hard indeed!

So be warned!

Jay Lakhani can be contacted at 4x4u.net

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm.........
Millions of home owners wish to profit from it and use it as retirement pot.. so it matters
We now have NOT thousands but over a million + BTL investor properties, so it matters
and yes there are million+ morons out there who are over leveraged, so it matters

so YES it does matter
and yes the economy is driven on this
Fear and Greed!

The trouble is the other millions want to get on the housing ladder or want their family to be able to get on the ladder in the future,
and for now most have been priced out,
the free and fair market is not so free or fair, and is not being allowed to work as it should, or supposed to
and it seems all good now, (for some) but was nt it like this last time

Someone posted a chart back from the 1600's a few days ago and there looks to be a major cycle of big falls in the yrs 28 for the last 400yrs
so going off the chart a safe guess for at least one major fall is 2028
but then again the same chart also looks very extended, and shows there are other quite major falls and rises within in the bigger cycle

the other times prices will obviously fall are when interest rates go up, and seem to go hand in hand, so while the rates are deliberately kept down, there's no chance of falls and only rises

It has been quite widely predicted rates are going to go quite high in the next 10-20yrs and the UK PLC will nr go bankrupt, if its not already, and the US aswell
The UK will never be able to pay off the much publicized deficit, regardless of cuts
and in order to keep paying the bills the Government is going to squeeze the public much further for middle Englands cash, and there may even be a Cyprus style cash grab, so this will have a major impact, and possibly the catalyst for the top of this cycle when rates peak and the big crash comes around again

But for the while price will be helped up and nothing any of us can do except not buy to high,
not all came out of the last crash so well, some of those mega greedy 60+ BTL, lost the lot and some with just 10+ BTLs also lost the lot

but some made a fortune and seem quick to blame labour for the present woes,
and forget they rode the backs of labour to make those fortunes
and now riding the backs of the Tories

personally i could nt really care less how much prices go up or down
but have family who rent, and work full time, but with children and other commitments saving up the deposit is not so easy, and they have to take the consideration of loosing the house if rates do go up too much, which is much less likely when renting, and can always find another renter anyway if the landlord goes bust

It could be worse
and there are some nice manor houses in the country for rent, if one chooses
so can always be king of the castle for a while

Hmm.. looks a bit long - i must of got carried away :)

Last edited:
Living within your means.LOL just LOL. With the financial repression being implemented.

They don't want you to, hence ZIRP and the BOE intervening in the wholesale market with the Funding for Lending Scheme.

They want you to leverage to the eye balls. If Help to Buy 2 doesn't have the effect, which it most likely will not because of the difference to the first stage, they will roll out stage 1 across the board.

The trouble is the other millions want to get on the housing ladder or want their family to be able to get on the ladder in the future,
the free and fair market is not so free or fair, and is not being allowed to work as it should, or supposed to
and it seems all good now, (for some) but was nt it like this last time

Someone posted a chart back from the 1600's a few days ago and there looks to be a major cycle of big falls in the yrs 28 for the last 400yrs
so going off the chart a safe guess for at least one major fall is 2028
but then again the same chart also looks very extended, and shows there are other quite major falls and rises within in the bigger cycle

the other times prices will obviously fall are when interest rates go up, and seem to go hand in hand, so while the rates are deliberately kept down, there's no chance of falls and only rises

It has been quite widely predicted rates are going to go quite high in the next 10-20yrs and the UK PLC will nr go bankrupt, if its not already, and the US aswell
The UK will never be able to pay off the much publicized deficit, regardless of cuts
and in order to keep paying the bills the Government is going to squeeze the public much further for middle Englands cash, and there may even be a Cyprus style cash grab, so this will have a major impact, and possibly the catalyst for the top of this cycle when rates peak and the big crash comes around again

But for the while price will be helped up and nothing any of us can do except not buy to high,
not all came out of the last crash so well, some of those mega greedy 60+ BTL, lost the lot and some with just 10+ BTLs also lost the lot

but some made a fortune and seem quick to blame labour for the present woes,
and forget they rode the backs of labour to make those fortunes
and now riding the backs of the Tories

personally i could nt really care less how much prices go up or down
but have family who rent, and work full time, but with children and other commitments saving up the deposit is not so easy, and they have to take the consideration of loosing the house if rates do go up too much, which is much less likely when renting, and can always find another renter anyway if the landlord goes bust

It could be worse
and there are some nice manor houses in the country for rent, if one chooses
so can always be king of the castle for a while

Hmm.. looks a bit long - i must of got carried away :)

Buck. Palace could be converted into social housing flats (y)

:)

Yes agree Millions have been priced out and that is sad! and this stupidity was created by the Blair/brown team
It is always the case of Labour creating the mess and Tories having to come and clean it!
But This time round I do not agree with what cameron did, he should have left the Housing alone and let the market forces do the work!

On way the Govt can help the millions of FTB is to TAX the BTL investors:
1) How about a 2% levy on the interest rates
2) 10% VAT on RENT
3) 50% CGT

This will mean Millions will sell out, there will be excess of properties , prices will be affordabl;e to FTB

Living within your means.LOL just LOL. With the financial repression being implemented.

They don't want you to, hence ZIRP and the BOE intervening in the wholesale market with the Funding for Lending Scheme.

They want you to leverage to the eye balls. If Help to Buy 2 doesn't have the effect, which it most likely will not because of the difference to the first stage, they will roll out stage 1 across the board.

I don't know why you think it's so funny :LOL:

We all know the games being played.....the trick is not to be drawn into their games.....play your own game and you should be fine !

Another thing that the Govt can do is COMPULSORY community work for Housing benefit claimants,
There is lot of work out there ( no excuses)
I have been in this country 41 years and not once have claimed benefit, and not once have I been unemployed
If I had to I even cleaned toilets!
The other day saw a very fat lady on TV, who is claiming benefits all her life, complaining that with the new changes she will suffer!
How did she become fat!, plus she had a cat as well. and whats more she was smoking!
All on tax payer!

Another thing that the Govt can do is COMPULSORY community work for Housing benefit claimants,
There is lot of work out there ( no excuses)
I have been in this country 41 years and not once have claimed benefit, and not once have I been unemployed
If I had to I even cleaned toilets!
The other day saw a very fat lady on TV, who is claiming benefits all her life, complaining that with the new changes she will suffer!
How did she become fat!, plus she had a cat as well. and whats more she was smoking!
All on tax payer!

It's far simpler than that...just cut all benefits year on year and I can pretty much guarantee that as the effects start to bite, the people concerned will find ways to be resourceful and make ends meet....some of them might even decide to get a job !!!:LOL:

On way the Govt can help the millions of FTB is to TAX the BTL investors:
1) How about a 2% levy on the interest rates
2) 10% VAT on RENT
3) 50% CGT

This will mean Millions will sell out, there will be excess of properties , prices will be affordabl;e to FTB

If someone can still make the figures stack up in their favour, that is no deterrent.
Simply as it does not affect scale.

If you want to affect scale, you need a tiered tax system based on quantity
of BTL.

Not that I think BTL is really the problem anyway.
Its much more common to rent in France and Germany, and the recourse and
rights of tenants is much better, specifically minimum tenancy terms and so on.

The real problem is there are no curbs on unleveraged debt with BTL or outright buy,
in terms of deposit, income multiples or interest rates.

If someone can still make the figures stack up in their favour, that is no deterrent.
Simply as it does not affect scale.

If you want to affect scale, you need a tiered tax system based on quantity
of BTL.

Not that I think BTL is really the problem anyway.
Its much more common to rent in France and Germany, and the recourse and
rights of tenants is much better, specifically minimum tenancy terms and so on.

The real problem is there are no curbs on unleveraged debt with BTL or outright buy,
in terms of deposit, income multiples or interest rates.

So as to achieve price adjustment to some arbitrary long run ratios - we are now coming up with policies to achieve conformance to the norm. However, that may be defined. Irrespective of nothing ever stays the same and the only constant is change. :LOL:

The biggest factor helping house prices move is probably pent up latent demand from people who were unable to or postponed the buying/selling homes at the bottom of the market.

We are now seeing those wishes and desires come true. That's all. Simply put. Wakey wakey - smell the coffeeeeee!

Secondly, we are/were in a big deep recession. Low interest rates are not just to stimulate home buyers but to prevent home buyers losing homes and stimulate investment.

Finally, FTB mortgage guarantees is no doubt insignificant in the realm of government debt and low risk considering buyers probably already moved into positive equity. Average hold period for homes is 7 years. So in the absence of another big crash, the guarantee will be removed probably in next budget and by then multiplier will have kicked in and everybody happy.

The twists and turns and the doom and gloom and the damn bells will just not stop ringing...

Learn to deal with it guys (y)

recession :LOL: try telling that to all those who aspire to home ownership, but for one reason or another, can't quite afford it, or obtain credit.

If we had 30 years of free and loose...then we will have another 30 of corrective and adjustment.

So as to achieve price adjustment to some arbitrary long run ratios - we are now coming up with policies to achieve conformance to the norm. However, that may be defined. Irrespective of nothing ever stays the same and the only constant is change. :LOL:

Secondly, we are/were in a big deep recession. Low interest rates are not just to stimulate home buyers but to prevent home buyers losing homes and stimulate investment.

Yeah, I admit I'm wrong, the IMF are wrong, and the sub prime crisis was just a figment of everyone's imagination.

As for policies to achieve conformance to the norm, most people would call
it regulation.
Or maybe you think no regulation and Govt. intervention when it goes pear
shaped as nothing is allowed to fail works then?
So you think dismantling Glass–Steagall was a good Idea I take it,
and bailing out banks is good as it allows them to make reckless
loans, as they are covered no matter what, they don't care so its all good right?

If effective loan regulation regarding income multiples and deposit had been
in place globally, we wouldn't even be in this situation to start with.

Simple fact is New Trader was absolutely right when he said the root is
credit supply.
That is the root of the sub prime crisis and 2008.

Despite that you actually think the UK Govt. making the same mistakes is a
good idea...mind boggling.
But this time it will be different right?

Finally, FTB mortgage guarantees is no doubt insignificant in the realm of government debt and low risk considering buyers probably already moved into positive equity. Average hold period for homes is 7 years. So in the absence of another big crash, the guarantee will be removed probably in next budget and by then multiplier will have kicked in and everybody happy.

Reuters said:
The government is willing to put 12 billion pounds of taxpayers' money on the line, potentially supporting 130 billion pounds on new mortgage lending.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/10/11/uk-barclays-mortgages-idUKBRE99A08K20131011

So 130B is insignificant in the realm of Govt. debt now?
Here are the current UK govt. debt figures:
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/psa/e...urns/september-2013/stb---september-2013.html

I don't think 130B is insignificant.
That is what they potentially stand to guarantee in the form of mortgage debt.
Don't let facts get in the way of your baseless argument though...

Oh and you still haven't told me where all these people are living who
don't have a roof over their head due to your claimed lack of physical supply.

Last edited:
Yeah, I admit I'm wrong, the IMF are wrong, and the sub prime crisis was just a figment of everyone's imagination.

As for policies to achieve conformance to the norm, most people would call
it regulation.
Or maybe you think no regulation and Govt. intervention when it goes pear
shaped as nothing is allowed to fail works then?
So you think dismantling Glass–Steagall was a good Idea I take it,
and bailing out banks is good as it allows them to make reckless
loans, as they are covered no matter what, they don't care so its all good right?

If effective loan regulation regarding income multiples and deposit had been
in place globally, we wouldn't even be in this situation to start with.

Simple fact is New Trader was absolutely right when he said the root is
credit supply.
That is the root of the sub prime crisis and 2008.

Despite that you actually think the UK Govt. making the same mistakes is a
good idea...mind boggling.
But this time it will be different right?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/10/11/uk-barclays-mortgages-idUKBRE99A08K20131011

So 130B is insignificant in the realm of Govt. debt now?
Here are the current UK govt. debt figures:
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/psa/e...urns/september-2013/stb---september-2013.html

I don't think 130B is insignificant.
That is what they potentially stand to guarantee in the form of mortgage debt.
Don't let facts get in the way of your baseless argument though...

Oh and you still haven't told me where all these people are living who
don't have a roof over their head due to your claimed lack of physical supply.

Mate if people brake the rules they pay their dues. The whole financial system is corrupt including Politicians, the police. Barclays being done for fixing FX rates now. What's that got to do with the price of anything???

Guaranteeing does not mean government is paying anything right now.

House prices shot up after building and planning reforms took place after the second world war. Land prices went up 10 fold. It's all a fix. Everything is pretty much loaded.

Free up green/brown belt and relax building permits and see prices fall.

Always losers and gainers.

Just play the game and try and conserve monies. Musical chairs and all that larky. (y)

It's far simpler than that...just cut all benefits year on year and I can pretty much guarantee that as the effects start to bite, the people concerned will find ways to be resourceful and make ends meet....some of them might even decide to get a job !!!:LOL:

Great idea!!!!!
but the media and teh so called "rights" group would not allow
Plus all these scroungers will vote for the govt who gives them freebies!
so politically it will not work!

How can "YOU" the potential housebuyer create a "Crash"!!!!!

simple, STOP RENTING!!!!, just for 1 year, go and live with your parents
There will be influx of empty BTL properties
resulting into the BTL investors in a panic = SALE

When supply exceeds prices crash!!

London prices are rising at 10% and since the low of 2009 it has risen by 40%.
Equally estate agents are saying that new buyers volume has surged by +50% in the past 12 months.

All this is at the back of the Government's Help to Buy schemes and promises of low interest rates till 2016. This has meant that the previous bubble was not fully deflated, and this second phase of housing boom is underway. Prices are clearly running away, and could have disastrous consequences for many, whose timing into the housing market is wrong.

Most financial crisis are caused by government meddling

London prices are rising at 10% and since the low of 2009 it has risen by 40%.
Equally estate agents are saying that new buyers volume has surged by +50% in the past 12 months.

All this is at the back of the Government's Help to Buy schemes and promises of low interest rates till 2016. This has meant that the previous bubble was not fully deflated, and this second phase of housing boom is underway. Prices are clearly running away, and could have disastrous consequences for many, whose timing into the housing market is wrong.

Most financial crisis are caused by government meddling

Not a bubble mate - I've said this before and I'll say it again... There is sooo much money sloshing around in the system that if UK residents lose their money, shirt and homes in another house crash - foreign cash will buy up the drop.

Moreover, with Sterling rising foreign cash has even more gains to make.

Interest rates will remain low.
Inflation will rise.
Europe talking about negative rates too.
Property is best buy in the market; yields rental income and capital gains.

:)

Last edited: