Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall house prices are set to fall because demand (appetite to buy houses) has plummetted

Not necessarily in my view. In any market you can often see consolidation where there is no demand but also suppliers are not prepared to lower the Ask. What happens is that prices stay the same and this can happen for an extended time. Then one of two things can happen either demand jumps up again or suppliers dump their positions. In the case of housing we just don't know what will happen although I have no doubt that certain parts of the market will get hit hard but that there are good reasons to suppose that other parts will see no negative impact.

One of the other reasons why house sales have dropped is that 30% of the previous available supply has disappeared with the lunatic introduction by the government of HIPS. As others have said there are many and varied reasons why things happen but to assume a collapse is premature in my view. Also the long term situation for the UK is that the population is expected to increase by another 50% in the next 20 years and all these people will need to live somewhere. I can still remember on these boards back in 2003 people predicting catastrophic house price crashes that were imminent and quoting that many experts were selling and telling others to do the same. Of course those that did were pretty unhappy when we saw prices more that double and all the experts were (yet again) proved wrong. In my view the long term trend will still be up.

Paul

Not necessarily in my view. In any market you can often see consolidation where there is no demand but also suppliers are not prepared to lower the Ask. What happens is that prices stay the same and this can happen for an extended time. Then one of two things can happen either demand jumps up again or suppliers dump their positions. In the case of housing we just don't know what will happen although I have no doubt that certain parts of the market will get hit hard but that there are good reasons to suppose that other parts will see no negative impact.

One of the other reasons why house sales have dropped is that 30% of the previous available supply has disappeared with the lunatic introduction by the government of HIPS. As others have said there are many and varied reasons why things happen but to assume a collapse is premature in my view. Also the long term situation for the UK is that the population is expected to increase by another 50% in the next 20 years and all these people will need to live somewhere. I can still remember on these boards back in 2003 people predicting catastrophic house price crashes that were imminent and quoting that many experts were selling and telling others to do the same. Of course those that did were pretty unhappy when we saw prices more that double and all the experts were (yet again) proved wrong. In my view the long term trend will still be up.

Paul

As ever, the housing market is cyclical - point of interest will be how far the downswing goes. There are so many variables that make it hard to predict and much comment is from vested interests so can't be taken at face value (what can?). Long term trend has to be up IMHO but fasten your seatbelts for now. It will be interesting.

Paul

There are some distinct differences with previous market scenarios like the 70s which people refer to.

1. House prices are 6 times income. I don't know what they were before but I recall 3 to 4 times being max.
2. There is a liquidity and debt crises - The markets have to shake this off. Banks don't have liquidity to lend to borrowers to service debt. ie Crunch show time...
3. The supply stock is different to demand in terms of flats or houses and number of bedrooms based on demographic factors
4. Flooding - we didn't have this climate prob in 70s.
5. Inelastic supply of housing
6. Coupled with 10% Buy To Let owners who can be quite ruthless in dumping stock if finances don't add up. This is relatively new phenomena too.
7. The economic migrants if situ gets worse in the UK can equally go back home

Hence, I don't think housing falls will be as severe in the UK as the US or rest of the world but I do think it will be a whole new ball game with new factors to consider.

I can't imagine 20%+ drops but never the less drops we are due in the short term.

There are some distinct differences with previous market scenarios like the 70s which people refer to.

1. House prices are 6 times income. I don't know what they were before but I recall 3 to 4 times being max.
2. There is a liquidity and debt crises - The markets have to shake this off. Banks don't have liquidity to lend to borrowers to service debt. ie Crunch show time...
3. The supply stock is different to demand in terms of flats or houses and number of bedrooms based on demographic factors
4. Flooding - we didn't have this climate prob in 70s.
5. Inelastic supply of housing
6. Coupled with 10% Buy To Let owners who can be quite ruthless in dumping stock if finances don't add up. This is relatively new phenomena too.
7. The economic migrants if situ gets worse in the UK can equally go back home

Hence, I don't think housing falls will be as severe in the UK as the US or rest of the world but I do think it will be a whole new ball game with new factors to consider.

I can't imagine 20%+ drops but never the less drops we are due in the short term.

1.Housing is above long term affordability ratios and how it returns specifically to those long run means is unknown by absolutely EVERYONE ,because much of it rests upon future interest rates and employment levels. Mervyn doesn't know from one quarter to the next and he's central to the process so that kind of fecks everybody else don't you think.

2 BLug Glug Flug ..in other words dribble ...credit crappie will pass just as soon as the hankie has mopped up juniors mess.

3.Fulbba giggle ..yes we know some chumps built too many flats (or let's be poshie and call them appartments)..irrelevant except to the idiots who bought them on leaverage.

4 Mucho grande gubble ...climatico crappo ..in other words leave it to the greenies. We're into money here and that's a different game.

5.True ,but what's new. Ikea and matchstick boxes ..hello ,I hear the 1960's calling and have we finished bulldozing that pile of dross yet,no maybe not as long as we can pay housing benefit to chimps that wish to live in them,because they are too lazy to work.

6.Flubba gugga ...BTL bailing out..well yes, LOL I just passed one for sale that I sold 3 years ago next month to a guy who told me he was a long term investor "this was his pension" ...I'm tempted to do what annuity providers do and offer him 50p on the pound to buy it back ;) ..what a chump! Harsh ,yes, because this idiot was telling himself a story ,but clearly when push has not even come to shove he was not prepared to carry through...cannon fodder.

7.Blah Flah flah...immigrants...irrelevant unless you're an outdoors retailer selling tents.
Buggers have not impacted spectacularly in terms of housing prices ,but yes they have effected rental dynamics as we can stack them vertically for excellent returns. Try to avoid getting vertigo sufferers up top has they reek havoc on them down below.

Bottomline...after a decade of exponential growth anyone claiming to be an investor bailing out at the prospect of a 25% drop should go to mothercare and buy a new nappie.

1.Housing is above long term affordability ratios and how it returns specifically to those long run means is unknown by absolutely EVERYONE ,because much of it rests upon future interest rates and employment levels. Mervyn doesn't know from one quarter to the next and he's central to the process so that kind of fecks everybody else don't you think.

2 BLug Glug Flug ..in other words dribble ...credit crappie will pass just as soon as the hankie has mopped up juniors mess.

3.Fulbba giggle ..yes we know some chumps built too many flats (or let's be poshie and call them appartments)..irrelevant except to the idiots who bought them on leaverage.

4 Mucho grande gubble ...climatico crappo ..in other words leave it to the greenies. We're into money here and that's a different game.

5.True ,but what's new. Ikea and matchstick boxes ..hello ,I hear the 1960's calling and have we finished bulldozing that pile of dross yet,no maybe not as long as we can pay housing benefit to chimps that wish to live in them,because they are too lazy to work.

6.Flubba gugga ...BTL bailing out..well yes, LOL I just passed one for sale that I sold 3 years ago next month to a guy who told me he was a long term investor "this was his pension" ...I'm tempted to do what annuity providers do and offer him 50p on the pound to buy it back ;) ..what a chump! Harsh ,yes, because this idiot was telling himself a story ,but clearly when push has not even come to shove he was not prepared to carry through...cannon fodder.

7.Blah Flah flah...immigrants...irrelevant unless you're an outdoors retailer selling tents.
Buggers have not impacted spectacularly in terms of housing prices ,but yes they have effected rental dynamics as we can stack them vertically for excellent returns. Try to avoid getting vertigo sufferers up top has they reek havoc on them down below.

Bottomline...after a decade of exponential growth anyone claiming to be an investor bailing out at the prospect of a 25% drop should go to mothercare and buy a new nappie.

Oh f*** it:

1. Bubble markets always return to at least to the mean if not undershoot. The property market is like any other market, there are no magical laws that only apply to residential property.

2. Ability and willingness of banks to lend money and the ability and willingness of borrowers to assume debt drives property prices. Everything else is BS.

3. The swing buyer/seller sets the market price. The swing buyer/seller is often the one exhibiting the most greed/fear. See 1 above.

4-7 See 2.

Bottomline, the housing market is not a perpetual motion machine.

Anyone expecting a bubble market to only fall by 10% has not read about the history of bubbles such as the Tulip Bulb, Mississippi Scheme, South Sea, 1929, Japan Shares/Land, TMT bubbles.

Oh f*** it:

1. Bubble markets always return to at least to the mean if not undershoot. The property market is like any other market, there are no magical laws that only apply to residential property.

2. Ability and willingness of banks to lend money and the ability and willingness of borrowers to assume debt drives property prices. Everything else is BS.

3. The swing buyer/seller sets the market price. The swing buyer/seller is often the one exhibiting the most greed/fear. See 1 above.

4-7 See 2.

Anyone expecting a bubble market to only fall by 10% has not read about the history of bubbles such as the Tulip Bulb, Mississippi Scheme, South Sea, 1929, Japan Shares/Land, TMT bubbles.

LOL"the swing buyer"... see "moulding the brain" thread ;) ..the problem with this site is it mainly attracts people who think they make the world go around by virtue of the peanuts they throw about intraday ,or every week ...the reality is far different...the former simply take price where the people who can through intend it to go. I've probably spent as much time reading your post as you spent reading mine..which is not much.

Oh f*** it:

4-7 See 2.

Hi Fibonelli,

I'm poised with deposit in hand ready to pounce but not sure when to move. :rolleyes:

Obviously the big question I have is how the economic scenario will unfold and more precisely how far and long house prices will fall? I read so many percentages touted about, I err on the side of caution. :-0

I take it from your post you suspect its likely to be 10%+. Any indication from your past reading would be appreciated.

Hi Fibonelli,

I'm poised with deposit in hand ready to pounce but not sure when to move. :rolleyes:

Obviously the big question I have is how the economic scenario will unfold and more precisely how far and long house prices will fall? I read so many percentages touted about, I err on the side of caution. :-0

I take it from your post you suspect its likely to be 10%+. Any indication from your past reading would be appreciated.

Save you the trouble.It will be well in excess of 10%. Think more like 20 to 30% ADJUSTED for inflation...which means because we do not know how this adjustment will occur and how long a period it will occur over you may ,or may not be able to take meaningful advantage of it simply by waiting.In other words waiting 5 years to "pounce" may be of no use to you if the value of your accruing money loses value at a pace akin to the value of housing ;)
For the unitiated most gains from situations like this come by finding some combination of value added opportunity with a forced seller situation. Simply waiting as appealingly easy as it sounds guarantees nothing.

..Save you the trouble.It will be well in excess of 10%. Think more like 20 to 30% ADJUSTED for inflation.

Please explain why it will be 30% and what factors will make it this figure ?

Paul

I personally think it'll be at least a 30% drop from the peak. We've just had a bubble and as with any bubble the burst is always overdone too.

Average house prices could fall beyond the norm of 3.5x average salary.

Average house prices were ~£180k at peak, average salary is £23,700 - 3.5x that is £83174 which by my calculations means a drop from £180 to £83K - or 53%.

Ouch - even if my crude maths is only half right that means some pretty nasty falls to come.

perhaps a quote I read in the Metro this morning might shed some light on this... Mr Soros says "we are uncertain about the amount of un-certainty" this "superboom" thing might yet turn out to be right -- as my previous posts.. my position is that I am now shorting the uk property market by selling my own house and investing the money.

The "chump" guy hits the nail on the head... adjusted for inflation I could actually lose even if the house prices go down... in the last housing market crash I believe that the house prices actually only went down 13% in real price terms.. but the value of money re-adjusted this figure to around 40% over the period of the fall.

But... I have a ace up my sleave because I built my own house last time, and I will do it again.. thus saving around 30% of cost price... plus with VAT reclaim on materials I should be able to keep up pace with inflationary pressure or even beat the market by some way... hopefully..

I think anyone entering the market now should be discounting the asking price by around 10% .. as I think we have already adjusted about 10% already.. depending on where you live.. I think the North of England is going to see the worst falls simply because I cannot see any commerce supporting the wage demands necessary for keeping property at there current prices...

But its just my opinion... with my net worth riding on it .... lol ...

Please explain why it will be 30% and what factors will make it this figure ?

Paul

Paul,
My surrounding area is fairly representative of the general market.That is ,it is not a hotspot nor a depressed area, middle ground.
My asking around at ground level tells me this. At the starter home band your average seller (not investor) is now being encouraged to enter the market at about 5% below the level coming into last Autumn. Add to that the bakshish of what a seller will give from ask to complete which is slightly more now than back then and I would think in real terms of money in your pocket we're around 6 to 7% off on price right now on aggregate in the active market.
Historically the first couple of years into the downcycle take the biggest hit because they reflect the most momentum in terms of impact on people's inability to adapt to sudden change. Every year thereafter typically tapers off in this respect as people become more adaptive in terms of how they adjust their income and expenditure to sustain them going going forward.
Therefore looking at where we are now and simply roughing that forward a couple of years would lead me to expect a low double figure % price adjustment over the first 2 years and again historically after that it's typical to expect another 5 /6 years where prices fail to keep up with the more general inflation increase. This part is harder to see as we cannot be sure what the future path of the inflation rate will be. However a spread between property price inflation and general inflation incorporating earnings of say 3 to 4 % over 5 to 6 years when added to the decrease taken in the first 2 years would take you to something akin to the figure I posted earlier.
This to me is an expectation not a prediction ,but it is based upon prior housing market cycles and as such i would put more confidence in it than simply sticking my finger in the air and saying the market will lose no more than 10% ,or alternatively it will be 50%..to be frank at 50% I'm coming out of retirement and buying anything people are silly enough to sell me....literally I'd take everything I own and put it in the pot were that opportunity to arise.
In fact Hoggum woudl you sell me your house for 50% of the value registered on sales of similar properties sold in the last 6 months ? Let me know and I'll get my chequebook out.

Chump - theres a lot of Historically & previous cycles & typically in your post mate.... I am almost certianly in a different school of thought to you here in that I see nothing typical here at all... I think if you were to look back at the previous so called "cycles" you would see a number of different drivers as to the so called "reason" that the market tipped down at various times in history...

I laugh when I hear people say that in the long run "you just cant loose on property" ... and its just the "cycle" ... absolute rubbish...

I only know what I dont know ... and thats enough for me to get out of the property market for the forseeable future...

Chump - theres a lot of Historically & previous cycles & typically in your post mate.... I am almost certianly in a different school of thought to you here in that I see nothing typical here at all... I think if you were to look back at the previous so called "cycles" you would see a number of different drivers as to the so called "reason" that the market tipped down at various times in history...

I laugh when I hear people say that in the long run "you just cant loose on property" ... and its just the "cycle" ... absolute rubbish...

I only know what I dont know ... and thats enough for me to get out of the property market for the forseeable future...

Yes, typically I use historically a lot ;) ,but a wiser, and (more importantly) a wealthier man, than me said ,if you want to 'know' the future you've got to study the history.I am neutral ,I have no risk exposure to property other than what I am living in plus a shack in Austria and I have never considered my home in investment terms anyway,life's too short for that.
Prior cycles back to the early 70's have different drivers for sure ,but the correction process tended to follow the route suggested..initial smack followed by a gradual inflation adjustment.We can argue about the scale of each until the cows come home ,but ultimately we're just blowing air as that part remains outside of our current views other than to say this is where we are now and this is where we might go in the next year..LOL even that is just 'smoke' until it happens.

couldnt agree more...(except on the history part... ;-] ) I have expended quite a lot of hot air on this site in the past.. but its for my own good ... the danger in comparing the past to the future is in the error rates can be enormous when "the future" starts to become history..

The sad fact is that I think a lot of hard working people and families will suffer in the next few years.. i think the "moral hazard" issue has come home to roost bigtime.. but we seem powerless to do anything about it but to protect ourselves and our own the best we can.. and I am only sure of one thing about the future... in time this will almost certainly be happening again...

Average house prices could fall beyond the norm of 3.5x average salary.

In my view all that will happen in this case is that we will see products similar to other parts of Europe with 100 year mortgages that are passed onto your descendants.

Paul

Hi Fibonelli,

Hi Atilla,
If you are cash reach atm, but are not an owner occupier, I would investigate several possibilities very carefully. Renting is a poss option, especially if for any reasons you need to live in a patricular place due to work or family location. You can calculate the cost of renting and compare it to the cost of the money supply + the insurance/maintenance if you considere bying. IMHO and it is only an opinion, that the market has a substancial room to fall, so now is the time to safe for a good deposit to buy in a few years time, providing one can wait so long. This advise I give to my own kids, ( in early 20ties). The housing market in a long term is a save investment, but every situation has different ingredients. Buy in order to be an owner occupier, has got different things to consider then if one buys to let. In the UK owner occupier is the largest part of the type of house ownership, and this market will always move though at a slower pace. The buy-to-let market is a different scenario. People who bought properties to let within the last 3 years are maintaining very small margins of profit, if at all. Some have aready sold or are forced to sell or give it up to be repossesed. Larger landlords are either buying neutral, or buy using the profits from renting portfolio.
If one has to buy now, one has to make sure it is first of all a reasonable price, secondly, it is reasonable to assume the price of the bought property might diminish over the next 2/3 years by a large margin (15-35%). Taking this into account renting if only possible seems to be a real option, with the view to buy later on.
Best wishes,
2be

Hi Fibonelli,

Hi Atilla,

Likely fall to the mean (ie 3.5x AvE) or below. Possibly a mixture of actual price falls and inflation in average earnings. Could be chaotic. Timescale 4-6 years like the previous cycle. No more than a best guess!

I'm also basing the above scenario on what's happening in the US. It's strange that no one on the thread has mentioned this. :?:

Hey fibonelli.. thats because the US is a different market all together.. with differnt dynamics and problems... in the US when a town goes bad they just up and leave it and build a new town somewhere else ... because they have the physical space.. in the uk building land is a premium commodity in very short supply which is partly why our house prices have remained so high and are supported to an extent thus...

the costs of constructing a house in materials / workmanship is almost the same UK wide... its the location / size / quality of the plot that counts.. and this might be a saving grace of the UK market ... in my humble opinion its thin layer of chewing gum that is supporting prices from collapsing (like in the US)