Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that Insight Track have just gone into liquidation. These were the fellas that would tell people how to get rich by buying property, free seminar, expensive weekend course, then more carrots to 'get the best deals' etc - you all know how all these marketers work.

Wouldn't be surprised if the owners put the company into liquadation so all their ex-clients who are suing them won't get much of a lookin.

Wonder how the darren Winters 'Power Property Course for Potential High Achievers' is getting on? Wonder if any of those potential 'high achievers' actually became 'high achievers' :)

Last edited:
Interesting that Insight Track have just gone into liquidation. These were the fellas that would tell people how to get rich by buying property, free seminar, expensive weekend course, then more carrots to 'get the best deals' etc - you all know how all these marketers work.

Wouldn't be surprised if the owners put the company into liquadation so all their ex-clients who are suing them won't get much of a lookin.

Wonder how the darren Winters 'Power Property Course for Potential High Achievers' is getting on? Wonder if any of those potential 'high achievers' actually became 'high achievers' :)

anley,
all these mass market get rich organisations are one big con. anyone with a brain knows that. the problem is that their are quite a few people in the world who it looks like don't seem to have a brain that works.

Last edited:
anley,
all these mass market get rich organisations are one big con. anyone with a brain knows that. the probem is that their are quite a few people in the world who it looks like don't seem to have a brain that works.

You only had to have looked at any of the "property developer" TV programs over the years, to have realised that many of the players would have been better suited to running a whelk stall (nothing against whelk stalls) - it's the old greed bug that tells them that you can get something for nothing without doing any brainwork (bit like trading really :LOL:)

The psychology is really odd (perhaps the psychologists will tell us it's not!) - put a notice on a fagbox that smoking will kill you and many ignore it. I suppose the get rich quick schemes use the same psychology in reverse?

India has the highest billionnaires and millionnaires in Asia, and a Billion Dollar house is being built in India - The rich are getting richer!

The British Property developers need cash, and they are flying out to India in mass to tempt the rich Indians to buy and invest in properties in Britain!!!

I hope the Indians dont fall for this trap, but knowing Indians they will. They still have this inferiority complex. As soon as they see a white man, they go ga ga over them. they still think that a european is a master. Well with this attitude i doubt if India can acquire super power status - probably another 500 years

I did the opposite - sold out of "Great Britain" and invested in Asia.
well the way I look at it, USA and Europe is heading for a great DEPRESSION ( not recession) worst then 1929, unless the Yanks go out and bomb the Arabs and Chinese, so that they do not have competition, and the colonial powers can continue to rule over the blacks and the asians

well thats my view!

I don't buy this indians coming over thing. Any millionaire is very unlikely to just be lucky - but more likely to be astute with business acumen. It won't take longer than 5 minutes on the internet to find out there's a property crash going on here so any asian with half a brain will refrain from investing any money.

Forex - I like your thinking. I also think Asia is the place for property investors over the next 5-20 years.

But as ever everyone you've got to do your research and fully understand the economics and reasons behind any decision, ie don't just buy because someody told you so or you read it in a magazine (75% of those articles are paid for in one way or another by the people who'll make money from the buyers).

Forex - I like your thinking. I also think Asia is the place for property investors over the next 5-20 years.

But as ever everyone you've got to do your research and fully understand the economics and reasons behind any decision, ie don't just buy because someody told you so or you read it in a magazine (75% of those articles are paid for in one way or another by the people who'll make money from the buyers).

I totally agree!, but it is all to do with timing and getting in at the right time.

I have 5 properties in India bough within the last 5 years and overall the portfolio has nearly trebled.

Testing waters with the Indian Stock market, and bought some stocks that got plundered in the sensex crash, and some doubled within months.

so it is all about timing..............., as they say that more millionnaires are made from bust then boom! - well i mean buying when the bust occurs and selling when the boom comes -

I attended a conference recently and all the speakers were extremely bullish of Gold ( this was when it hit 1000!) well i am extremely bearish gold. Look at the weekly chart, a nice diveregence, waiting for a pull back - and then pounce!! fill up the boots and then go away on holiday and cash in when gold reaches 500 in a years time LOL

UK in my opinion still has huge huge potentials, simply waiting for the crash to occur and i intend to fill my boots! :) LOL

Forex! I DON'T like you thinking about Gold :)

personally I feel it's going a lot higher over the coming years, but we'll see. I'm a long term holder so don't really care about a $100 move up or down, hope it does go lower though so I can pick up more. Whatever the case Gold is going to be one of those markets (I think) that tests the patience of all players, whether bulls or bears - so plenty of sharp rallies and sharp selloffs.

personally I sold my house as I am "shorting" the uk housing market.. all my dosh is safely tucked away now in fixed interest... and I am planning a bit of a holiday from the UK for a while...

I have been doom mongering for about this for the past 12 months.. my main concern is inflation which i reckon will be the killer... nobody can know the impact of a chinese / indian economy i reckon in time we will be the ones in the factorys knocking out cheap toys for the Asian economies ;-]

nobody can know the impact of a chinese / indian economy i reckon in time we will be the ones in the factorys knocking out cheap toys for the Asian economies ;-]

ha ha ha ........................
I like it! - but i doublt if this will ever happen!
we have the American and European supremacy in the military field, and they have this knack of creating problems for others!

we had the Brits and yanks selling arms to both India and pakistan, so those morons could fight! We now have the yanks supporting the Indians as the yanks are afraid of the chinese! soon the yanks will create trouble for the chinese via Tibet and also Taiwan - India will get involved - The super Asian giants will kill each other!

That is what I can see, and the Americans and Europeans will have the last laugh, their supremacy will continue

what ya think??

Have a look at the following video;

BBC NEWS | Business | Soros on global economy woes

very interesting, it seems Britain will be the hardest hit - more so then USA
Looks frightening for UK now

I heard George Soros on R4 this morning - think he mentioned the use of common sense (been in short supply in banking & political circles hasn't it?). He's apparently written a new book on his "Reflexivity" hypothesis - sounds interesting. This is a man who knows a thing or two about the markets, and I don't think he writes and gives interviews because he's hard-up!

40% decline - thats what the surveyors are saying!
Panic has not yet set in, when that happens all hell will break lose! - It could be more than 40%
where are all the pros and gurus who said Britain is different!

Well Soros does not think so, and he knows his stuff.

Forget recession - we could be heading for depression!
Agree with normbeef - very soon the brits will be the ones knocking out cheap toys for the Indians and the Chinese

Thing is... since the begining of 2007 whilst we were all sitting at home watching Property Ladder when the issues had already started... I find it incredible that people are going to get caught out like this again !! When I left school in 89 (that makes me 34) I worked for a small company and after the crash we went from 15 guys to just 4 in a matter of weeks... My uncle who is a builder had 5 flats half finished next to a popular Liverpool Street commuter station... he lost his home etc etc etc ...

I am wondering if its just me... or is this not totally obvious "why" do we need George Soros to tell us that we are on the edge of the cliff ???

Inflation --- up its obvious - food / energy bigger nations consuming more... prices for stuff go up... raw materials cost more... Energy costs more etc etc etc..

Credit Crisis - borrowing costs more....

House prices - way over the top.... only one way now....

a nation living on credit would surely be obliged to pay it back at some point ? and I think some people miss the fact that there property is a leveraged investment with a Loan to value attached to it

I think the banks might be forced into margin calls (or LTV re-calculation) in the next 6 months or so.. they are having to become risk averse...

40% decline - thats what the surveyors are saying!

This was referring to a percentage drop in sales and not prices. It is hardly surprising as now you cannot get the 125% mortgage or even 90% that was available last year so this is bound to have an affect.

Large house price drops in my view will be polarised and not universal. The reason being that as long as people can afford their mortgage then there will be no reason for them to sell at a loss. It is estimated that the number of repossessions will be around 43K this year which is half that of 1991 and with a much higher number of mortgages. The key to all of this will be interest rates and back in 1991 they were up at 17% and not 5% like today. If they go up then yes we will see a similar situation to that of the past. I am unsure why everyone is assuming a massive crash in general prices as the only way that this can happen is through being forced to sell and as yet I have not seen this especially from people who are not first time buyers.

I know my view is contrarian and it will be interesting to see how things do develop.

Paul

I think prices will dip but not plummet as predicted. The people who will lose out are those who are unfortunately over mortgaged, and those who bought buy to lets without checking ut the markets first.
The number of repos will def go up but also will the number of "buy out, let back schemes". There isn't the rented housing to take up the shortfall and no way is this or any other govt going to subsidise housing.

Thing is... since the begining of 2007 whilst we were all sitting at home watching Property Ladder when the issues had already started... I find it incredible that people are going to get caught out like this again !! When I left school in 89 (that makes me 34) I worked for a small company and after the crash we went from 15 guys to just 4 in a matter of weeks... My uncle who is a builder had 5 flats half finished next to a popular Liverpool Street commuter station... he lost his home etc etc etc ...

I am wondering if its just me... or is this not totally obvious "why" do we need George Soros to tell us that we are on the edge of the cliff ???

Inflation --- up its obvious - food / energy bigger nations consuming more... prices for stuff go up... raw materials cost more... Energy costs more etc etc etc..

Credit Crisis - borrowing costs more....

House prices - way over the top.... only one way now....

a nation living on credit would surely be obliged to pay it back at some point ? and I think some people miss the fact that there property is a leveraged investment with a Loan to value attached to it

I think the banks might be forced into margin calls (or LTV re-calculation) in the next 6 months or so.. they are having to become risk averse...

When ever the Mrs asks how is it that a big Chateau in France costs £160K and some dumpy old small flat in a grotty area in London costs £260K.

With my economist trained hat I would say - well mi dear it all depends on the cost of the land and labour as well as materials. So what has changed...

Supply of land is the same
Cost of materials have gone up
Cost of labour is questionable whether we have wage inflation or not?

Overall house prices are set to fall because demand (appetite to buy houses) has plummetted... Somethings don't add up. Is it the appetite to buy or the ability to borrow that has dried up?

Either way we are about to have a big change in the distribution of the cake I reckon...

I guestimate a 10-15% fall in prices...

yep some interesting views.... thing is ... when people are running for the door then things change and they change so quickly that you have no time to adjust because there is no stop loss on the house prices ... there are many scenarios that could play out.. but having been on the end of a recession before I am just acknowledging things can happen "thats all"... and that this time it could turn out to be the biggest in living memory... or it could be a small bump in the road !!! the thing that worries me most is the combination of factors..

Stagnation + Inflation = STAGFLATION... with a debt ridden society that can no longer borrow and commodity prices that will keep climbing because of genuine demand... interest rates will be going up by the end 2008 to boot.

This is why I sold my house... it was an extreme "short" position to take as I am homeless but I cannot ignore whats staring me in the face...

I will agree with one thing that I have seen today.. the past few weeks on the market have been very bearish !! as Mr Buffett says and who am I to disagree

I took some profits on my longs today... no panicking but the luck may just have run out ...

Sleep tight boys and girls...