Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its now a buyer`s market - estate agents on the ground are struggling to sell properties which were hot last year.

My EA in the city simply cannot shift many BTL flats bought in the last 3 yrs. And they were mostly bought off plan!

The fact is - we love being a nation of landlords. Its the same all over the world. The BTL bubble has made many millionaries. And they will hold till the bitter end. Prices will fall, come back up , stabilise and then sink - when they finally give up too. Remember it was worst in London and SE during the early 90s - amd most BTL investors are still here - in the SE and particualrly EC1/SE1.....oh dear

I am selling out of investment real estate. Thinking of buying a cheap villa in FLorida though.:clap:

Last edited:
True, BUT UK is also a great deal more undersupplied .

True, but the supply theory will be out of window, when the BTL owners panic and then starts dumping their properties, the youngsters will move back in with parents - they are already doing this!

Uk will simply end up in a situation where there will actually be OVERSUPPLY!
agree with previous thread - it is all about the sentiment!

True, but the supply theory will be out of window, when the BTL owners panic and then starts dumping their properties, the youngsters will move back in with parents - they are already doing this!

Uk will simply end up in a situation where there will actually be OVERSUPPLY!
agree with previous thread - it is all about the sentiment!

Agree the sentiment bit. Outside of London (at least where i am in the Midlands) sellers still haven't got it. They've reduced asking (and that's what they now seem to realise they are) prices to a level that would have been realistic last summer /autumn. Consequently loads of choice now, so if you're a buyer able to proceed (and they're in short supply) you are in good bargaining position. The market here will remain stagnant until sellers get real.

As for rental - loads of that (the BTL landlords will be suffering real problems with void periods now) but rent prices unchanged. Doesn't matter what people think - market forces will prevail and force the issue eventually.

A lot of people who thought a "price crash" would be the answer have, predictably, been wrong since cheaper prices don't help unless you can still borrow. Hopefully, both prices and borrowing will get back to something sensible and then we can start the whole cycle again under a new government !

Having read most of what everyone has said on this and other threads it is clear to me that people simply don't have any understanding of how money can be made through property. It doesn't matter if the market is going up, flat or declining there are still very good opportunities to be had and when in decline they are even better.

Also any market crash is not caused by everyone wanting to sell, it is down to lack of buying support. The current panic mentality is great from my perspective because what is happening is that Estate Agents are all looking at each other and forcing some sellers to lower prices to ridiculous levels. When I say this I am talking about prices being forced down in places where there are low levels of supply in desirable areas where rents are fetching a premium and no shortage of willing tenants wanting to move in.

Paul

Having read most of what everyone has said on this and other threads it is clear to me that people simply don't have any understanding of how money can be made through property. It doesn't matter if the market is going up, flat or declining there are still very good opportunities to be had and when in decline they are even better.

While yes, I'm sure money can be made, I think the "A trained monkey could do it" environment of the last few years is definitely at an end.

I hear a lot of talk about demand... I don't hear a lot on exactly how people are meant to actually be able to afford anything in the current climate. Insane mortgages are all but finished, food & fuel prices are rushing upwards, and give a few more months and I suspect unemployment will be looking fairly unhealthy too. Y'know what, I'd like a Porsche, doesn't mean I'm about to go buy one...

If you excuse me - a small divergence but related question to that posed in the thread heading.

What is the general opinion about the foreign housing market. Is the UK situation and/or the general economic outlook creating similar problems in other countries ? I am particularly thinking of europe where there had been substantial increases over past years. Are second/holiday homes flooding the market outside of the UK as a result of Brits and others tightening the purse strings and the rising value of the euro ?

Charlton

Yes. Spain was the first to show fatigue, followed by Florida , BUT, that was well before August 2007. A simple case of over-pricing and comparison with the bargains in Croatia, Bulgaria etc.

Bulgaria has started to slow and if the talk keeps getting talked up (or down in this case) it wont take long for them to follow.

The thing is, the bods who buy one or more secondary homes in 'holiday' areas aren’t ‘rich’. You apparently need £3.5Million to live like a millionaire in the UK these days. (It’s a bit cheaper for me of course…).

These are generally the pension/retirement ‘ideas’ of people with little to no mortgage on their primary domestic residence and are or have been, looking to provide something to cover their retirement from an income perspective. They’re getting bitten hard and it doesn’t take long for an income drawdown to become a loss sale. Signals aren’t slow to get out about the state of these types of deals and fewer and fewer takers means the price will continue to come down. Sure their will be pockets that will resist…

Of course, those who DO make money from property are in high-demand residential areas (see Trader333’s post today) or commercial lets.

So it’s little to do IMO with global or even local economic outlook or forecast and more to do with general and uneducated anticipation of what those outlooks and forecasts might mean.

Yes. Spain was the first to show fatigue, followed by Florida , BUT, that was well before August 2007. A simple case of over-pricing and comparison with the bargains in Croatia, Bulgaria etc.

Bulgaria has started to slow and if the talk keeps getting talked up (or down in this case) it wont take long for them to follow.

The thing is, the bods who buy one or more secondary homes in 'holiday' areas aren’t ‘rich’. You apparently need £3.5Million to live like a millionaire in the UK these days. (It’s a bit cheaper for me of course…).

These are generally the pension/retirement ‘ideas’ of people with little to no mortgage on their primary domestic residence and are or have been, looking to provide something to cover their retirement from an income perspective. They’re getting bitten hard and it doesn’t take long for an income drawdown to become a loss sale. Signals aren’t slow to get out about the state of these types of deals and fewer and fewer takers means the price will continue to come down. Sure their will be pockets that will resist…

Of course, those who DO make money from property are in high-demand residential areas (see Trader333’s post today) or commercial lets.

So it’s little to do IMO with global or even local economic outlook or forecast and more to do with general and uneducated anticipation of what those outlooks and forecasts might mean.
I don't know about the Florida and Bulgarian situations, but certainly Spain appears to have been subject to specific local factors i.e. concerns over the legal status of title deeds and local authorities propriating land. In addition there was oversupply by the building industry, but then the question is why was the supply not absorbed ?

I certainly agree with you that secondary homeowners are often not rich and I suspect soon they will rate themselves poorer.

Will the sale of secondary homes have any significant effect on the UK market as funds, albeit diminishing possibly, will be brought back into our market ?

Charlton

I don't know about the Florida and Bulgarian situations, but certainly Spain appears to have been subject to specific local factors i.e. concerns over the legal status of title deeds and local authorities propriating land. In addition there was oversupply by the building industry, but then the question is why was the supply not absorbed ?
Absolutely, primarily a combination of local issues rather than global economics. Supply wasn’t absorbed for the simple reason the building boom followed the demand and didn’t feed it. Once the demand dropped, it took time for the developers to realise the demand wasn’t there. Cycles mate, and rich pickings if you decide that’s a geographical area you want to get into, cheaply. (Although I don’t for the simple reason of the other issues you allude to.)

I certainly agree with you that secondary homeowners are often not rich and I suspect soon they will rate themselves poorer.
Perhaps just poorer on paper than they were at one time. Depending on when they got in, adjusted for inflation and lost opportunity, I suspect most will come out OK.

Will the sale of secondary homes have any significant effect on the UK market as funds, albeit diminishing possibly, will be brought back into our market ?
It’s a really small amount in the scheme of things. Plus, where are you going to put it in the UK for safety? The profile of this sort of property investor is largely risk averse. It’s OK having FSCS guarantee you up to £35K (£48K for pensions/assurance), but the FSCS is capped at calls on fees at just slightly over £4Bn in any one year. Seem like enough? How much did NR cost….?

Having read most of what everyone has said on this and other threads it is clear to me that people simply don't have any understanding of how money can be made through property. Paul

Agree that tons of money can be made from real estate!! but it is all about timing, ie when you get in. As Jay Lakhani points out in his article that once amateurs get in thats when you have the peak, thats what happened in Nasdaq.

You are now seeing pros selling, and i feel sorry for these newbies now! as they dont have a clue and they are simply guided by the media

Also the other day i read an article that most millionnaires are made from the recession then at boom times.

So it is the case of waiting.................. and then pounce!

Agree that tons of money can be made from real estate!! but it is all about timing, ie when you get in. As Jay Lakhani points out in his article that once amateurs get in thats when you have the peak, thats what happened in Nasdaq.

You are now seeing pros selling, and i feel sorry for these newbies now! as they dont have a clue and they are simply guided by the media

Also the other day i read an article that most millionnaires are made from the recession then at boom times.

So it is the case of waiting.................. and then pounce!

"You are now seeing pros selling,"..wrong . A pro does not SELL as in move from in to out all in one move and he certainly does not leave it this late to start. He sells into a market in which there is a ready supply of buyers.

it costs about 6.25% to borrow money now, where can you buy houses/apartments where you can make 6.25% in rental income.
you can rent £600000 pound houses for £2100 a month giving the owner about a 4.25% return.
you can rent £350000 pound houses for £1250 a month also giving the owner about 4.25%return.
does this not show how over priced houses are.
the £600000 pound houses would have to cost about £400000 to get a 6.25% return.
the £350000 pound houses would have to cost about £240000 to get a 6.25% return.
that just happens to be a 33% fall.
I don't expect them to fall 33%, but I do believe the gap needs to close.

When I say this I am talking about prices being forced down in places where there are low levels of supply in desirable areas where rents are fetching a premium and no shortage of willing tenants wanting to move in.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Ok, there are many places, say in London, that are still like that. They dont have to be Knightsbridge, but one just has to look, eg close to transport links and lots of yong commuters.

Now consider a place like London Bridge, Borough or even further east. All close for the city workers. These are the places where there is a huge amount of unsold inventory. In fact BTL flats are still being sold off plan here for 350K. This is the BTL capital - and an area thought to be very desirable even last year.

Therefore, the desirable are currently the ones where noone is looking! They do exist, however, and personally, I feel its time to sell out of ( or perhaps too late) the areas once thought to be desirable.

you can rent £600000 pound houses for £2100 a month giving the owner about a 4.25% return.
you can rent £350000 pound houses for £1250 a month also giving the owner about 4.25%return.
the £600000 pound houses would have to cost about £400000 to get a 6.25% return.
the £350000 pound houses would have to cost about £240000 to get a 6.25% return.

This is how most people believe that money is made through property investment but it has little to do with how it can be made with the correct knowledge and I think I have probably said enough on this subject.

Paul

Now consider a place like London Bridge, Borough or even further east. All close for the city workers. These are the places where there is a huge amount of unsold inventory. In fact BTL flats are still being sold off plan here for 350K. This is the BTL capital - and an area thought to be very desirable even last year.

London is probably the last place I would even look at for making money through property.

Paul

it costs about 6.25% to borrow money now, where can you buy houses/apartments where you can make 6.25% in rental income.
that just happens to be a 33% fall.
I don't expect them to fall 33%, but I do believe the gap needs to close.

It's much, much worse than that. First of all, the rent income needs to not just cover interest, but also some of the deposit or all you're doing is breaking even. Oh, it also needs to cover repairs, safety checks, etc. And that assumes the landlord's time has no value (an amazing number of people seem to believe they can buy a house, rent and forget).

you don't need a calculator to figure out that a quarter of a million pounds for a little brick box is over priced.

dd

London is probably the last place I would even look at for making money through property.

Paul

I remember back in the 90s i think, when they were building flats (executive apartments ?) in Docklands, at giveaway prices and they weren't able to give them away. Time will come again for astute property investors - and not just in Docklands.

It's much, much worse than that. First of all, the rent income needs to not just cover interest, but also some of the deposit or all you're doing is breaking even. Oh, it also needs to cover repairs, safety checks, etc. And that assumes the landlord's time has no value (an amazing number of people seem to believe they can buy a house, rent and forget).

And very importantly, don't forget the times when you "ain't got no tenant" - amazing how many amateur landlords forget this effect on income. You aslo need to account for tenant referencing costs and letting agents' fees if you use them.

And very importantly, don't forget the times when you "ain't got no tenant" - amazing how many amateur landlords forget this effect on income. You aslo need to account for tenant referencing costs and letting agents' fees if you use them.

I know it's a lot worse,but I just did the basic maths as you would think even the stupid people who bought property as a investment in the last year would have done.
letting agents knock off 15% of rental income.
stamp duty
mortgage arrangment fees
solicitor fees
cost of upkeep/repairs
periods where you do not have a tenants
and the big one how many people thought interest rates could rise. Inflation is rising, the government is issuing more treasuries to support the banking industry 30 billion for Northern Rock 50 billion for bank rescue deal. Their will be more to come. A increase in supply of government bonds will help to lower the price which will increase the interest rate on longer term money.