UK 2015 General Election - Competition

2015_predicted_winnerS.svg

it figures that the bloomin' map shows more labour supporters up norf.

Latest forecast results...

Added Panorama poll (not included in comp., for the beers) for interest comparison only.

Also, added averages for all forecasts as the T2W poll to see how the pack compares to rest. Expect it to be well skewed as the sample size, no doubt consists of top 1% crème de la crème of UK's trading population.

Prize: 12 Pack of Beer :)
189368d1430246812t-uk-2015-general-election-competition-91inn99azpl._sl1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Go on then...lets have a punt.

Cons.............289
Labour.......... 262
Lib-Dem......... 27
UKIP............... 4
SNP ...............50

Turnout......... 68%

Heres an interesting article :sleep:

http://www.mrtopstep.com/are-we-right-about-the-u-k-general-election/

To save you lazy gits, sorry hard working traders the trouble here is one fact from all of the polls in the last election.

"absolute seat error is not the only such measure of error we could use, but it’s a reasonable one, so we’ll stick with it for now. Of the six published pre-election forecasts that Political Betting compared in 2010, the best had a total seat error of 51 and the worst — none other than FiveThirtyEight — had a total seat error of 105."

If your total is closer than 51 you beat the best of the best and could have a careerer in forecasting.

a definite disadvantage to picking earlier..

Not wanting to be labled "Mr Rules" but if you read the first post,
"Everyone can make as many predictions as they like, but only the last one prior to the cut-off of mid-night BST May 6th will count. So ya can change yer mind as much as you like before the day itself."

ok thanks.
My point was more about the 'strategic' players.
Anyway a fun competition and tomorrow night could be fun.

Less than 24 hours to go...

Anyone else up for the comp?

Think Election 15 and celebrating on a sunny Friday afternoon with a beer in hand :drunk:

Here is the comp blurb from Pat Riley... (y)
We all have a shot at predicting the number of seats each of the parties get. To make things manageable I propose we only go for the top (likely) parties to poll the majority of the votes. So Conservative, Labour, Lib-Dem, UKIP, SNP. So Plaid Cymru, Greens etc are not included. We also take a shot at predicting voting turnout for the UK as a whole.

Everyone can make as many predictions as they like, but only the last one prior to the cut-off of mid-night BST May 6th will count. So ya can change yer mind as much as you like before the day itself.

Scoring will be the sum of the differences between your predicted number of seats and actual number of seats for those five parties. If you get it spot on for all five your cumulative score will be zero. If your prediction is plus or minus the actual is will count as a negative score for the difference between the two. The person with the least negative score will be declared the winner. In the event of a draw, the person who gets closest to percentage turnout for the UK as a whole will be the winner. If it’s still a draw it’s shin-kicking at dawn.

Scoring - e.g. predict 300 actual 280 you score -20 or predict 300 actual 320 you score -20 etc.

I’ll offer to do the hard yards at mid-night BST May 6th and compile the table for those who have entered.

I’ll not be voting in the real thing for all sorts a reasons, but if I were, I’d be voting green (lowercase) and I suggest you all do the same and vote for your favourite colour ‘cos that’s got to make about as much sense as trying to figure which parties manifesto has any chance of any of it seeing the light of day let alone passing into legislation.

Done the dirty deed :)

Let's hope it's for the best.

Below is the final table from all the votes. Please let me know if anything doesn't look right.

(y)

Well this is embarrassing. :eek: :-0 :eek:

There are only 650 seats and I've guessed 669 seats in total... So that means I have -19 handicap before we even start counting.

This link shows an interactive map of the count...
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-uk-election/

In case the BBC's Emily on the touch screen doesn't saturate your appetite for information overload... :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32592297

There is almost a party atmosphere about these elections... Could do with couple of beers now actually ;)

Interactive wow!!!
http://bbc-vip.touchcast.com/embed/19874?autoplay=1

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. :cheesy:

Well I am in the money on the GU

Looks as though the inside info on exit poll was leaked after 7 20 am tonight

Last time exit Poll was 100% correct

Will it be this time ??

GU up now over 200 pips from after 7 00 pm