TRO Test Results

UKtradergirl

Established member
I am creating this thread as a separate place to post and review the results of TheRumpledOne's Horizontal Line Strategy. The EA used to test this was kindly coded by North5 (thankyou!).

I will go through some major currency pairs in order, posting screenshots of the backtest results from the last 3 months trading (approximately 2000 trades). In time i will also post the results of forward testing.

You can read more about the strategy and the ongoing debate at the following threads on this forum, as well as countless places in other forums:-

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/equities/41916-never-lose-again-therumpledone.html

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fir...need-trade-horizontal-line-therumpledone.html

I have attached the EA here for anyone who wants it (posted elsewhere in other threads too).

Attachments

• TRO - NLA v1.3.mq4
    16.4 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Aud Usd

Currency Pair: AUD/USD

3 month backtest: 26 August 2008 to 26 September 2008

67.19% win rate
Profit factor: 0.60
Total net loss: 3532.71 (starting account 10,000)

audusd 3 month.jpg

Attachments

• audusd sample trades.jpg
    audusd sample trades.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 736
  • audusdequitycurve.jpg
    audusdequitycurve.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,007
Eur Usd

EUR USD results

3 month backtest

win rate: 73.37%
Profit factor: 0.84
Total Net Loss: 678.70

This currency pair a bit better than AUDUSD.

eurusd results.jpg

Attachments

• eurusd equity curve.jpg
    eurusd equity curve.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 549
  • eurusd sample trades.jpg
    eurusd sample trades.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 557
Usd Jpy

USD JPY results

3 month backtest

win rate: 68.46%
Profit factor: 0.68
Total Net Loss: 2209.86

usdjpy results.jpg

Attachments

• usdjpy equity curve.jpg
    usdjpy equity curve.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,123
  • usdjpy sample trades.jpg
    usdjpy sample trades.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 698
Gbp Usd

GBP USD results

3 month backtest

win rate: 69.51%
Profit factor: 0.69
Total Net Loss: 2972.40

OK this is the last one i'll do for now unless someone has got a specific request. I'll to a longer term test later today, although the above ones provide a fairly good sample.

gbpusd results.jpg

Attachments

• gbpusd sample trades.jpg
    gbpusd sample trades.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 587
  • gbpusd equity curve.jpg
    gbpusd equity curve.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 506
What a bummer, all that work, all those threads and posts - and it doesn't bleedin' well work! Oh well, I guess now we'll have to pin all our hopes on MrSpreadBet!
:cheesy:

43788d1227703419-tro-test-results-audusdequitycurve.jpg

43804d1227704961-tro-test-results-usdjpy-equity-curve.jpg

OMG !

Well done Donna.

Nothing like adding some hard facts.

This isn't religion, belief has nothing to do with anything, either you are net profitable or you're not.

If only that equity curve was a winning one and not a losing one- it would be almost like the holy grail- nice and smooth.

UKtg,

Good work. If you have the time could you indulge me and run it through the optimisation - taking the TP up in 5 pip steps up to about 50 or so.

Ta.

What is interesting is that som one said the first version (which exited the trade as soon as the H1 turned against rather than waitng for SL or line cross) was profitable. didn't post screen shots mind.

UKtg,

Good work. If you have the time could you indulge me and run it through the optimisation - taking the TP up in 5 pip steps up to about 50 or so.

Ta.

What is interesting is that som one said the first version (which exited the trade as soon as the H1 turned against rather than waitng for SL or line cross) was profitable. didn't post screen shots mind.

Yes i'll have a look. I'm going out for a few hours now but will do when i get back. Thanks for your hard work in coding this. The tests above have been run without changes to any settings.

I suspect it will be more profitable with a higher TP.

Watch this space...

Nothing like consistency.......... :)

Assuming the EA is correct, these results are just what I'd intuitively expect from such a "system" before even thinking about it.........
Well done to north5 and UKtradergirl for all their work.
Richard

If only that equity curve was a winning one and not a losing one- it would be almost like the holy grail- nice and smooth.

Even if you did reverse the trades it would never be profitable because of the volume of trades.

I think this thread conclusively resolves the debate! Although I can see Mr Wrinkly rubbishing it somehow...

Even if you did reverse the trades it would never be profitable because of the volume of trades.

I think this thread conclusively resolves the debate! Although I can see Mr Wrinkly rubbishing it somehow...

...not to mention slippage and spread?

Hold up!

15 minute charts with 5 lines and TP 20

Last few hours of live trading!

Winning and losing is very much on how things are presented and what the viewer wants to see. Basic marketing stuff.

Attachments

• NEVERLOSE!.jpg
    NEVERLOSE!.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Surely simple maths told us it'd be struggle

target 5 points stop 20, so we need a 75% win rate just to break even

or if we have 4 losers in a row we need to win 16 times in a row to break even (assuming using a fixed size)

imagine a scenario of 10 losers in a row............

Surely simple maths told us it'd be struggle

target 5 points stop 20, so we need a 75% win rate just to break even

or if we have 4 losers in a row we need to win 16 times in a row to break even (assuming using a fixed size)

imagine a scenario of 10 losers in a row............

Yes of course.

A couple of points though

Backtesting on MT4 is about as useful as a choco teapot - esp when 'modeling quality is' is 50%
Yet when we embark on this hapless wild goose chase all reason and correct logical thought go out of the window as the promise of a fast buck and the magic of computers beckon us with their false hope.

Even though I WASTED years of my time messing around with automated tading systems and yes they do always end in a cul-de-sac there is still a strange thrill about seeing one in action - it must be the something for nothing and no effort holy grail.

When I ran the TRO EA on one of my PCs with the modifications today and left it running for a few hours then looked at the trade results I couldn't believe my eyes - see previous post - all winners!!

Until I realised the trades were listed by PROFIT, above these winners, there were three times as many losing trades.

Food for thought....