The Journey from the Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Animal Lesson No 7 being prepared....ready later.

The Story of the Mysteriously Appearing and Disappearing Objects:~
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Many years ago, when I was 17, I had a girlfriend who had her own
Television Programme. It was a programme for children and
was transmitted live from the studio. As these programmes were
featured in the afternoons, it meant she had the mornings free.

Not far away there was a Polo Club. This Polo Club had a lot of ponies.
These ponies needed excercise, and so once or twice a week, she and
I would take out a pony each for a little ride in the countryside. We usually
took a packed lunch and would stop and have a picnic, usually at or
near the same spot, by a copse of Eucalyptus trees.

On this particular morning, we had trotted the ponies for a little distance
stopped by a small stream allowing the ponies to have a drink from
the sparklingly clean water that trickled along, and after having done
that, we settled down under a tree to enjoy our customary little picnic.

We hadn't been there for very long when suddenly something occured
a little distance away that caught my girlfriend's eye. There was a little hill,
not more than I should say 100 yards away that was the object of her
sudden interest.

This little hill was rounded at the top and covered with grass, and gently
sloping on all sides, sort of dome shaped. She kept on pointing at the
hill and insisting there were objects appearing and disappearing on it.
And every time I looked there was nothing there.

But as she was so insistent, I fixed my attention on it and sure enough,
she was right. There were some objects appearing and disappearing on
it. The curious thing was that these objects appeared in different places
along the sides. They looked very small and round., like sort of well,
about the size of a cricket ball.

We watched this together for some time and could not make out what it
was because the background was not clear. But it kept on repeating itself.
We thought it very odd. So we watched for a little longer. It kept happening.

We decided to get up and go and have a look. Not knowing what to expect,,
we advanced slowly and quiet as mice. When we got really close, there was
nothing there. So we came back and sat down in the same place.
After a couple of minutes had elapsed these curious round things began
to appear and re appear again.

So we got up and this time, decided to approach from a different angle,
on tiptoe, very slowly. When we got very close again nothing happened.
so we crouched, and remained very still and quiet.

Presently the mystery was unravelled.
What we had been looking at was not what we expected.
A family of hedgehogs was using the little hill as a sort of playground.
There were 3 big ones and 7 small ones.
They would start at the bottom of the hill and climb up, and,
when they had got to the top,
rolled themselves up into tight little balls and rolled all the way down.
They kept on repeating this, again and again, the older ones were
showing the little ones this new trick. Why ?

What significance does this have for darksiders ?
Constructive comments please.

Last edited:

That wouldnt be a representation of new traders who then lose and give up would it ? :)

Paul

:) ) Paul

Or may be MM Tricks (990N) for the emini people & the largest of them all the PPT if of course it exists ;)

It seems we're all eagerly anticipating lesson 7... :cool:

Last edited:
In the animal kingdom adults nurture their offspring and teach them survival techniques. Juveniles often learn better when an element of fun is introduced into the teaching excercise. I would suggest that these adults are introducing their offspring to the technique of ball rolling, in an effort to develop the skill which in the future may well save their lives.
This lesson may have gone unnoticed, had the observers not been sufficiently inquisitive as to take a look from another perspective. It was this changed perspective which enabled the observation to take place and as a result the "mystery" was uncovered.
I suspect that dark-siders need to be constantly inquisitive, and be both willing and able to learn similar survival techniques.

Unusual things can happen in familiar surroundings that are not expected
Not everyone is open to the possibility that something unusual can happen
Sometimes you think you have detected something but when you really focus it appears to not be the case
The evidence of what was happening was very clear but the reference grids in the observers prevented understanding of the reality of the situation.
If you are prepared to take a different approach to the same situation you may get to realise what is really going on.

Paul

SOCRATES said:
Animal Lesson No 7
Ha ha...like this one a lot. Very descriptive, even if I do miss the mark. I don't know Socrates, your childhood wasn't all books and studying...

This little hill was rounded at the top and covered with grass, and gently
sloping on all sides, sort of dome shaped.
Can't make up my mind if this is an allusion to a normal distribution curve (if so, of what?) or section of a price graph. I'm working on the basis it's price action.

There were some objects appearing and disappearing on
it. The curious thing was that these objects appeared in different places
along the sides. They looked very small and round., like sort of well,
about the size of a cricket ball.
These 'things' can be seen from a distance, but not up close (unless you change your perspective). At first I wondered if these were the individual players in the market - retail, MM etc. Them I wondered if they were the individual transaction taking place. As these 'things' are presumably the central core of this lesson (from the title) I've given them some more thought - hence the edit.

These objects appear 'in different places along the sides'. Well, it can't be transactions or individuals - they occur with equal distribution along any price graph (they define the graph). So what occurs at discrete and irregular intervals along the graph? Changes in direction/trend? I have a sense these 'things' are 'events'. Either news events, market 'events' or any 'event' (internal or external) to which we give our attention. The distance we're at from these 'events' determines whether we see them or not.

We watched this together for some time and could not make out what it
was because the background was not clear.
The background - what has gone before? We normally tend to think of background as being what's behind something in the foreground (anyone have a better way of expressing that?), but it also means what's behind in time i.e. in the past. We need to be looking in more than one dimension.

But it kept on repeating itself.
Price action - human psychology - market psychology. All the things that make people do what people do. Without change. You'd think as that is the case, it would be quite easy to establish with a reasonable degree of probability what was most likely to happen next...

So we got up and this time, decided to approach from a different angle,
From the Darkside? I'm really struggling here and that was an easy try. When all's said and done, I'm only a little the wiser.

There were 3 big ones and 7 small ones.
They would start at the bottom of the hill and climb up, and,
when they had got to the top,
rolled themselves up into tight little balls and rolled all the way down.
The most 'obvious' (and therefore probably least useful) image was of the normal cycle of accumulation/distribution of stock. But the Big 3 and 7 Small has me foxed. Unless Elliott was wrong in counting his waves.. :cool:

Last edited:

The hill is a metaphor for the market place that is inhabited by a range of life forms. It looks rounded, smooth and grassy – a pleasant place to see and inhabit when out for a journey of pleasure – a picnic. A great place for a young man and his girlfriend to enjoy visiting in their youthful leisure.

The sorts of people that come out to the country for picnics usually have no real idea of the range of life forms that live there, what they live on or how they get their food. They don’t come there for that, but, if they are observant, they will see many things. Although they may occasionally see the physical manifestations of part of the life cycle of the hills and their denizens they are unlikely to understand what is going on and why. These things are only visible to the closest scrutiny and not always from the same distance or angle.

The hill has always been there and will always be. It is permanent and supports societies of beings who live on and in it. The rules that these societies live by are not the rules that the young man and his girl friend are accustomed to or can easily understand. They don’t need to unless they actually have to live on the hill themselves.

The hedgehogs live on and around the hill. They are omnivores – they will eat anything that will give them a high protein, low fat diet. They eat the worms and some of the insects that live on these sorts of grassy hills. They don’t travel far and live in places they know will support them comfortably. They have a good sense of smell and hearing and can easily sniff out a good meal They have their own easy lifestyle. They are secretive. They sleep in the day and come out to hunt at night. They hibernate in winter when the conditions are bad. They are well protected by spines and, although some parts of their bodies that are not covered with spines are vulnerable they can protect even these by rolling themselves up into a ball.. Most passing predators leave them alone and when they are rolled up they are virtually invulnerable to the enemies they occasionally come across on the hill.

The other denizens of the hill are the hedgehogs’ food: The worms that live in the good, grassy soil; the insects that fly over it and land on it; the plants that grow in its rich loamy soil. Remember that hedgehogs will eat anything.

So, generations of hedgehogs have lived on this hill. They are brought up to live here by their parents and taught how best to find their food and protect themselves against their enemies by rolling themselves up into a ball. The young hedgehogs are taught the cycle of life that is most efficient and that will give them the best and easiest life.

What they do every night is start off at the bottom of the hill and work their way upwards, eating as they go. They don’t always start in the same place or ever follow the same path as otherwise their victims and the passers by may guess their habits and catch on. They work their way to the top of the hill. If a predator appears they roll themselves up into a ball and roll down the hill and wait until it goes away and then they come out to start their feeding again.A hill will only support so many hedgehogs and once a family has a sustainable territory they stay in it for generations – passing on all the secrets of how to live on the hill to their offspring. The worms and insects are unprotected and pop up and have their heads bitten off. The delicious small plants are grazed as a tasty dessert

It is their hill and it always will be - it gives them a good living - but they have to be taught how to exploit it properly and their parents have this skill and pass it on to their offspring. It is their niche in the animal world and they are jealous of it and secretive in its practice. Protection of a way of life is the main issue here

Last edited:
I missed the carpet and donkeys due to personal committments but will study it and the replies and denouement

One thing I do see is that the baby hedgehogs are being taught to roll into a ball to protect themselves. If the trader does similar in one of those unforeseen market moments, he will freeze when he needs total control and focus. This is why one must un-learn (is that a word? :cheesy: ) those protective instincts which have been instilled into us since birth.
The other persona must be developed.

Sultans carpet and donkeys revisited

"The problem is that if the donkeys stop there are problems.....Have you considered that ? Their sheer quantity of numbers make them a problem when they do not behave as expected, This incident was a rare Sultan & Donkeyoccasion. Normally no one would willingly stimulate the donkeys to stop in this way, unless the agenda to stop them was deliberate. Which was not the case here, that is why the drivers were frantic and irate"

I hope this hasn't been answered and that this is an appropriate place Socrates

The world needs donkeys; the drivers need donkeys; the sultan needs donkeys. The whole production process stops without donkeys. What darksiders must see though is that they must not be donkeys but be aware of what functions donkeys perform and how and why they are needed

There are several specie of hedgehogs residing in the marketside. They are: bigboyus; herdus; pricus; and volumus. All these specie are likely to play on attractive, range bound hills that they come across in the marketside, climbing up to the peak and tumbling down to the trough. However, the toings and froings of herdus and pricus are not usually difficult to spot by the casual observer, but those of the more secretive bigboyus and volumus are not usually spotted unless the observer exercises much patience and is able to alter the perspective of her/his view.

I think these may have been volumus hedgehogs, climbing the hill quickly at first then slowing as they tire and maybe with a sudden burst as the peak hoves into view. Then rolling back down with increasing momentum until they are slowed and stopped by the supporting flatland.

Why there should be 3 parents and 7 children escapes me for the moment, unless the hill is actually this thread with the parents (only 2 have "got it"?) leading us children up the learning hill then getting us to roll back down to learn it all again until we don't have to think about it. :)

Hedgehogs

The hillock is the market and the hedgehogs are the big boys. They are teaching their youngsters the game - and the game is that you roll the price up and then down (you go down much faster than you go up) and you get an immense sense of enjoyment while doing it. It is a repetitive game, and has worked that way for hundreds of years. You are taught the game by your elders. No-one else knows how to play the game and so the hillock is all yours to play on as you want to. You don't need a level playing field.

When you are rolled up into a ball you look like a ball, not like a hedgehog. And you act like a ball, not a hedgehog. So to those who do manage to get a peek, they think they are watching balls, not hedgehogs.

You can be seen playing the game out in the open, but if anyone comes too close the game is immediately halted, and only continues when they have gone. Those who can see you playing the game do so because they are patient and quiet, with a good eye to pick out the clues. Not everyone can see the game happening, even when it's taking place right in front of their eyes. Some cannot even see it happening when it is pointed out to them. But by trusting those who can see the game happening, you too can eventually see it happening.

And when you know what the game is, who the players are in the game, then you watch them walk the price up, begin to roll into a ball and so you know what will happen next because it is easy to predict. In other words you can appreciate the game in all its glory and join in by piggybacking (hedgehogbacking) on the movement of the hedgehogs.

Rognvald said:
Sultans carpet and donkeys revisited

"The problem is that if the donkeys stop there are problems.....Have you considered that ? Their sheer quantity of numbers make them a problem when they do not behave as expected, This incident was a rare Sultan & Donkeyoccasion. Normally no one would willingly stimulate the donkeys to stop in this way, unless the agenda to stop them was deliberate. Which was not the case here, that is why the drivers were frantic and irate"

I hope this hasn't been answered and that this is an appropriate place Socrates

The world needs donkeys; the drivers need donkeys; the sultan needs donkeys. The whole production process stops without donkeys. What darksiders must see though is that they must not be donkeys but be aware of what functions donkeys perform and how and why they are needed
Hello, the reason why the drivers became irate is because if a donkey is braying it is not
engaged in what it should be engaged in, which in tems of "donkey capability" is "donkey work". That is, if a donkey is braying it is not pulling. If all the donkeys are braying together, all at the same time, the job in hand is not being done, is it ?

The drivers were hot, dusty, thirsty, tired and looking forward to going home to a tall glass of iced mint tea in the cool of the evening. Now all of this is ruined by this interfering and very
naughty boy who has upset the schedule which up till his arrival was going smoothly.
Now he alone has been able to upset the apple cart.

The donkeys are not cooperating.
They are taking time off to have a sing song, and, at a time like this, when at this time of
the day there is the most dust flying about and the heavy carpet is halfway up the hill.

It means that the whole operation which started so well is now interrupted at a critical point.

It would not be practical to unload the carpet and give the donkeys the rest of the day off.

It would serve no purpose to shout at the donkeys or beat them.
The donkeys, "according to a donkey perspective" are not doing anything destructive. They are just stopping, for as long as is necessary, to have a sing song.

It is the contrast between the donkeys' perspective and that of the drivers that creates an
impasse.

As this occurs at the wrong time in the wrong place it creates Tension and
Frustration on the part of the drivers who find themselves Helpless.

This serves to stimulate the drivers( who have not developed the proper mindset to deal with stress or potential stress and /or other situations dependent upon conditions of uncertainty) to be easily stimulated into ANGER, which is an EMOTION, that disempowers the drivers from being IMPARTIAL and causes them to be OUT OF CONTROL both of THE DONKEYS and of THEMSELVES, which is MUCH WORSE as they are supposed to be
IN CHARGE and in reality are not since the circumstances are IN CHARGE OF THEM.

This is the most important aspect of the story of the Sultan's Carpet, that we as darksiders
can use to illustrate an intangible concept in order to understand the mechanism WE MUST NOT ALLOW to take hold of our reasoning faculties at any time we are in front of a screen.

This is alright for (with respect above all else) for Donkey Drivers to behave like this, but
this kind of behaviour as a response to a problem that suddenly occurs is not acceptable
for traders, especially darksiders, if I may say so, who are distinguished by their ability to spot to what to us is obvious but arcane, irrelevant, childish, rubbish, and so on to others
not turbo fitted.

Cear as mud once more is it not ?

If it were not so important it would be trivial.

I am very pleased at last to be in the company of an educated and properly
enlightened audience and that at last the value of these Animal Lesson Series
is being recognised.

The value is a hidden value and carries a hidden benefit particular and personal
to each darksider.

Do you now realise that you are beginning to realise ?

If you realise this, then this is the benefit, both collective and individual.

To your benefit and my satisfaction. Now you have started in the correct direction,
keep at it, keep going, well done. I shall be making more comments later.

I thank you.

Ah ! And by the way the method of returning the chaotic scene with the drivers and the donkeys
to normality is quite simple. I forgot to tell you. Actually at the time I was prevented by the chauffeur from carrying it out. His priority was to get me away quickly.

It involves getting a big basket containing 80 apples, all of these to be fed to the braying donkeys all at the same time, so if the donkeys had their mouths filled each with an apple they would very soon think of munching and not braying. Thus the scene could be returned to normality in an instant and the Sultans Carpet delivered on time with minimum effort. I mean to say, its obvious, and this is also what I mean when I say that everyone overlooks the significance of the obvious.

Now let us please carry on with the hedgehogs, I am very interested indeed.

Apologies for this interruption but darksider Rognavald is catching up now, I trust.

Back to the Hedgehogs now , please.

Last edited:
I think I can speak for all who are either contributing positively to the thread or following it silently when I say that we are grateful for the time you are taking to put across the content of these lessons and its importance.

Each of us will get something different but important to us as individuals from each lesson

We hope you will continue to be patient and stimulate us to think about what is necessary for us to do and be before we can hope to succeed in the battles ahead.

Thank you

OK caught up - hedgehogs to the fore please

:idea: ah! come the dawn

From within the herd I looked but I did not see, even invented a few spurious facts to support pre-conceived notions. Why? Not shifted my perspective or way of thinking that's why, only kidded myself I was.

SOCRATES said:
Hello, the reason why the drivers became irate is because if a donkey is braying it is not
engaged in what it should be engaged in, which in tems of "donkey capability" is "donkey work". That is, if a donkey is braying it is not pulling. If all the donkeys are braying together, all at the same time, the job in hand is not being done, is it ?

The drivers were hot, dusty, thirsty, tired and looking forward to going home to a tall glass of iced mint tea in the cool of the evening. Now all of this is ruined by this interfering and very
naughty boy who has upset the schedule which up till his arrival was going smoothly.
Now he alone has been able to upset the apple cart.

The donkeys are not cooperating.
They are taking time off to have a sing song, and, at a time like this, when at this time of
the day there is the most dust flying about and the heavy carpet is halfway up the hill.

It means that the whole operation which started so well is now interrupted at a critical point.

It would not be practical to unload the carpet and give the donkeys the rest of the day off.

It would serve no purpose to shout at the donkeys or beat them.
The donkeys, "according to a donkey perspective" are not doing anything destructive. They are just stopping, for as long as is necessary, to have a sing song.

It is the contrast between the donkeys' perspective and that of the drivers that creates an
impasse.

As this occurs at the wrong time in the wrong place it creates Tension and
Frustration on the part of the drivers who find themselves Helpless.

This serves to stimulate the drivers( who have not developed the proper mindset to deal with stress or potential stress and /or other situations dependent upon conditions of uncertainty) to be easily stimulated into ANGER, which is an EMOTION, that disempowers the drivers from being IMPARTIAL and causes them to be OUT OF CONTROL both of THE DONKEYS and of THEMSELVES, which is MUCH WORSE as they are supposed to be
IN CHARGE and in reality are not since the circumstances are IN CHARGE OF THEM.

This is the most important aspect of the story of the Sultan's Carpet, that we as darksiders
can use to illustrate an intangible concept in order to understand the mechanism WE MUST NOT ALLOW to take hold of our reasoning faculties at any time we are in front of a screen.

This is alright for (with respect above all else) for Donkey Drivers to behave like this, but
this kind of behaviour as a response to a problem that suddenly occurs is not acceptable
for traders, especially darksiders, if I may say so, who are distinguished by their ability to spot to what to us is obvious but arcane, irrelevant, childish, rubbish, and so on to others
not turbo fitted.

Cear as mud once more is it not ?

If it were not so important it would be trivial.
SOCRATES,

This is so very obvious once you explain it, but at the time I read it I did not consider interpreting it this way. In hindsight, I was trying to interpret it the way I had been interpreting the other Animal lessons, presumably because I thought I was getting it 'right' and so I stuck to doing what I 'thought' I was doing right. Incidentally this sounds all very similar to my trading.

I'm "reading" what is being written but not "seeing" it. I am going to have to take more care on the next Animal lessons and hope that this latest realisation of what I'm doing and it's effect is seized upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.