1st April - Worm exploiting the "ANI" vulnerability

Atilla

Legendary member
Hi everyone,

Typically a new

1st April - Worm exploiting the "ANI" vulnerability - internet worm using the new zero-day ANI exploit has been found. It modifies HTML pages to contain a link to a malicious ANI file. It also tries to spread via USB sticks and Chinese-language emails.

If you need more information here is the link F-Secure Malware Information Pages: Agent.BKY

This is Radar Alert - Level 2, the second highest alert possible defined as:

- New virus causing large infections. Might be local to a specific region.

--------------

I trust everyone is protected when surfing and your anti-virus software has picked up this new worm.

Hi everyone,

Typically a new

1st April - Worm exploiting the "ANI" vulnerability - internet worm using the new zero-day ANI exploit has been found. It modifies HTML pages to contain a link to a malicious ANI file. It also tries to spread via USB sticks and Chinese-language emails.

If you need more information here is the link F-Secure Malware Information Pages: Agent.BKY

This is Radar Alert - Level 2, the second highest alert possible defined as:

- New virus causing large infections. Might be local to a specific region.

--------------

I trust everyone is protected when surfing and your anti-virus software has picked up this new worm.

Hi Atilla

Thanks for the heads up. I use Linux exclusively, so this doesn't bother me. However, I do run MarketMaker from within a Win2K VMWare session, but it doesn't get to browse the web.

All, why don't you consider learning linux for your financial activities? It is much safer and more stable, and it's not as complicated as many would think. It should be easy enough for most of us here who seem to have some sort of IT background.

Hi Atilla

Thanks for the heads up. I use Linux exclusively, so this doesn't bother me. However, I do run MarketMaker from within a Win2K VMWare session, but it doesn't get to browse the web.

All, why don't you consider learning linux for your financial activities? It is much safer and more stable, and it's not as complicated as many would think. It should be easy enough for most of us here who seem to have some sort of IT background.

LL
Which distro are you using and which one (if different) due you recommend to newbie Linux users

Thank you

Fibonelli

Hi Atilla

None of my customers use it. As the whole industry is Intel / Windows based I don't have any incentive or reason to move to linux.

I basically, follow my customers and their business needs.

Linux? Go for it!

LL
Which distro are you using and which one (if different) due you recommend to newbie Linux users

Thank you

Fibonelli

Hi Fibonelli

I am currently using Debian (Etch) on my server (formerly Fedora Core), with Gentoo on my desktops. Debian is rock solid stable, Fedora was good for me as I have experience with RedHat stuff, and Gentoo is highly customisable. Different distros for different uses.

If you are interested in trying Linux, I would suggest Ubuntu for desktop use. It is based on Debian, and is very well supported by the community. Most problems you can solve with a google, and there are plenty of newbie friendly support channels covering this distribution.

If you want to give Linux a go, try something called a LiveCD first so you can try it without breaking your existing system. Then, if you want to install, you can dual boot to preserve your Windows install. If you have ever worked in an IT role or consider yourself a computer enthusiast, then Linux is probably within your grasp. You may want to read some of the comprehensive Linux guides out there, which are pitched at appropriate levels for those familiar with IT but not with Unix (or derivatives).

Practically everything most people need works on Linux, and in many cases the Linux offering is superior. Windows is insecure and unstable - Linux can give you rock solid stability, and the customisations you want. Two things don't work well under Linux - games, and CMC MarketMaker. If you have a spare machine give it a try, be more cautious if you only have the one. If you mess up your configuration on your only machine it will be pretty difficult to trade.

I'd be really quite scared about doing anything financial on Windows, especially something which involves leverage. I also find Linux more convenient for several reasons. Read as much as you can until you decide if it is for you. If I can be of any more assistance, please let me know!

Good starting points:

Official Ubuntu Homepage
Official Documentation
Unofficial Community Documentation
What is Free Software (pdf)

More advanced stuff:

Linux Fundamentals
Linux Documentation Project

I hope you decide to give it a try. It can be a little challenging sometimes, but I think it is worthwhile to learn.

If you don't want to mess up your existing machine, buy a new one! As one of those Masters of the Universe with a BSD I'm sure you can afford to purchase a perfectly nice laptop for the princely sum of £446.00 from The Linux Emporium. This is a Lenovo machine (the folk IBM sold their PC division to), good enough specs for most stuff, comes with Ubuntu Linux preinstalled. Absolutely everything except the fingerprint reader works right out of the box, with no complicated setup.

They ship worldwide, and they ship laptops to the UK for free. You'd have to ask about US / World rates. I live in the UK and I just bought one for a relative the other day.

Hope this helps.

Atilla, thanx for the heads up, I always surf with sandbox, so anything picked up is gone when I am finished

Hi All,

I have just installed Ubantu and was wondering if there are any updates on weather CMC Market trader could be used in Ubantu?