The FTSE 2007

I know UK Hero done a great job in 2006 and unfortunately he's not going to be doing his daily posts this year.

Lets hope we can get some discussions and ideas on this thread and try to do it some justice.

This is a personal wish.
I would like to see some discussion on individual stock trends within the FTSE100.
The aim would be to trade stocks on the long and short sides with some balance in order to reduce or eliminate the overall market effect.
If you look at FTSE100 stocks over the last 12 months, there have been some significant divergences.
Mining and property based stocks have been up 50% to 90%. On the low side some shares have dropped out and quite a few have stagnated or dropped. These are like BP, Shell, ITV and the out of favours.
Considering the rise overall a flat market would see a range of possibly from +50% to -30% and a bear move would run even more to the low side of the range.
Taking into account the ease of trading short side these days, there should be some good profits to be made with a low risk.

LOL...love it rates up ... ..now let's see how the FT likes that. Oops that was quick

Short lived slide but ........there'll be other times 6100 Puts should come down in price nicely now 99p to buy......

Go on Ftse get up there....

I wonder how many people went long ( correctly ) yesterday pm or this morning, and had stops just below yesterdays low ?

yesterdays fall looks artificial - with hindsight.
advance/decline stayed positive throughout, so I expect a number of mm's just pulled their order book.

Is there no discussion thread for FTSE ? Is it not a popular index to trade?

Looks like one could short the FTSE with a stop just above 6340...target 6100-6000 ish...
A break above 6340 could mean new highs as long as it is a convinving break.(.ie not a false one day thing )-6500-6600..HOWEVER the bearsih divergences seem to point to a weakening uptrend...(also the case for many of the major indices)..

chart attached

Attachments

• FTSE daily 250107.JPG
    FTSE daily 250107.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 242
Why leave all the forex traders to the live calls........ :LOL:

Short FTSE @ 6250 (using CMC) :-0

Dunedin said:
Why leave all the forex traders to the live calls........ :LOL:

Short FTSE @ 6250 (using CMC) :-0

Bit close for comfort for a while.......... but closed one third at 30; stop on remaining to break even.

Crunch Time ?

catracho said:
Looks like one could short the FTSE with a stop just above 6340...target 6100-6000 ish...
A break above 6340 could mean new highs as long as it is a convinving break.(.ie not a false one day thing )-6500-6600..HOWEVER the bearsih divergences seem to point to a weakening uptrend...(also the case for many of the major indices)..

chart attached

How weak is this trend ?

Will be like shooting fish in a barrel....... the best thing that Ftse can do now is consolidate at highs - that's the only way I won't win (near term)

If it spurts it's dead meat (after exertions this week) and if it reverses...... Kerching :cheesy:

PS 65/6600 do look plausible if it gets out of this sticky period....

not sure about being on the short side just yet Hook.

factors supporting the market..

1) Pre-election year in the US.. average gain is approx 18% alone in those years.. far more bullish than any other year by some margin

2) Still in the Oct-April bullish period

3) Still in the Month-end markup period.

4) Not yet at the all time highs, Dow is there, FTSE is trying its hardest to catchup.

i think we will see 7,000 before we ever see 5500 again.

FC

US employment figures today..combined with a Full MOON...could lead to some fireworks...! Keeping the powder dry...for the mo. (away next week so no trading after today! ) it's starting to look too obvious- plus the performace of DAX and DOW to new highs..may mean we do get the upside break...definitely worth watching tho - if we don't !!

FetteredChinos said:
not sure about being on the short side just yet Hook.

factors supporting the market..

1) Pre-election year in the US.. average gain is approx 18% alone in those years.. far more bullish than any other year by some margin

2) Still in the Oct-April bullish period

3) Still in the Month-end markup period.

4) Not yet at the all time highs, Dow is there, FTSE is trying its hardest to catchup.

i think we will see 7,000 before we ever see 5500 again.

FC

FC - I'm not jumping in yet........... but good of you to caution me.
I just think that Ftse getting stretched.... near term.

I'm not telling market to go down ....... I just know it only has so much "Energy".
We'll see... :D

Cheers