Random!

Peter Crouch - he's 6 foot 7 and 11 stone 11, and built like a washing line pole. Yet he hasn't had any major injuries that i know of, yet looks like he might break in 2 if another opponent as much as breathes on him. How come?

Sense of Humour Failure!

I don't want anyone replying to my messages anymore! OK? :cry:

I can reply to your messages and say what I want, when I want, who I want. But if you reply to me I will complain to the mods, OK?

DO NOT REPLY OR SEND A PM! OK? :devilish:

I'M better than all of you.

To paraphrase Mrs Merton: "What first attracted you to the gormless, ugly, lanky, millionaire footballer Peter Crouch?":LOL:

Exactly ;) . Of all the England footballers you do see being interviewed, he does perhaps seem the most normal/likeable/down to earth& hard-working with a good attitude on the pitch IMO - but how big Pete, Phil Neville etc end up with fit GF's doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to work out.

dunno if this is the place, but.....

there was a thread started by some guy about being a poker player, and was successful, and wanted to trade FX.
I have just spent 3 days playing poker with play-money, and there are some good commonalities with trading.

I started off betting on every hand, with the hope something would come my way, not unlike trading every single signal.
then I started to fold unless I had specific cards, or got to the "flop" for low cost. (Texas-Hold-em)
I reached a point where I only started taking the bet when the cards were in my favour, and then betting aggresively.
I went from £1000 play to £800 (betting on anything that moved), then from there to now, at £1240 (folding until I got what I felt was worth holding). I know its play-money, but the principal interested me.

I wonder if newbies who are having difficulty by taking every single trade and losing, could learn the discipline of folding until a better hand comes along via poker, and then take that discipline back to the markets?

(I was using victor-chandler website, vcpoker.com, although any respected site would work. ensure you dont have to give any CC details before joining, just to be on the safe side.)

there was a thread started by some guy about being a poker player, and was successful, and wanted to trade FX.
I have just spent 3 days playing poker with play-money, and there are some good commonalities with trading.

I started off betting on every hand, with the hope something would come my way, not unlike trading every single signal.
then I started to fold unless I had specific cards, or got to the "flop" for low cost. (Texas-Hold-em)
I reached a point where I only started taking the bet when the cards were in my favour, and then betting aggresively.
I went from £1000 play to £800 (betting on anything that moved), then from there to now, at £1240 (folding until I got what I felt was worth holding). I know its play-money, but the principal interested me.

I wonder if newbies who are having difficulty by taking every single trade and losing, could learn the discipline of folding until a better hand comes along via poker, and then take that discipline back to the markets?

(I was using victor-chandler website, vcpoker.com, although any respected site would work. ensure you dont have to give any CC details before joining, just to be on the safe side.)

I play poker every Saturday night and there are definately similarities.

At the beginning I only take high probability bets if I have picture cards, high cards in sequence or matching suites. No bluffs.

Middle of the game I bluff if I am chips up. You have muscle and you can afford to eliminate players if they don't wish to risk participation and being knocked out of the game.

End game if you are still on the table is 50% bluff and 50% strength. You can afford to as it's unlikey other player has strong cards too.

You use the size of your bets to guage strength of players hands. A lot more to it but the point about high probability trades and position size is significant. Also, waiting for the right setup and patience.

I think poker is a fantastic game. Like chess but more enjoyable with a social edge to it. :confused: ;) :cheesy:

You've obviously never played full-contact, tag chess....

Do you mean like chess with human pieces?

I have played war games in the middle of the night defending trees. You kill by ripping the arm band off your enemy which is not the same colour as yours.

I think we were all more interested in having a good rumble than killing the enemy by ripping arm bands off. Very sneaky and great fun. Like paint ball maybe but you don't need all the guns, paints and masks...

Not exactly. It's probably the Ultimate role-playing game. Each player fully assumes (through a group shamanic experience and ingestion of special ‘herbs’) the characteristics and role of the 'piece' they represent. As their physical and strategic position changes within the dynamically shifting context of their relative strength and weakness vis a viz their position within the overall structure of the side they represent as the game unfolds, their nature melds to accommodate the new reality they find themselves in and their new role and position.

Information and direction to each piece is given in coded gestures and animal noises from the ‘player’ who constantly shifts his, or her position during the course of the game to physically protect themselves and also to attempt to masquerade as the player for the other side if they can orchestrate such manoeuvres necessary to carry this off without blowing themselves out. These codings are modified during the game based on other codes and signals in order to maintain total non-disclosure of intent to anyone other than the intended recipient. Covert intent is vital for everyone as is deliberate setting of wrong intent with the expectation of that intent being viewed as deliberately misleading by the other side, and even more importantly – the other pieces on the same side which are even more expendable in some circumstances than the other side’s pieces. A common strategy is to allow an insignificant piece (power, role and position) to achieve greater apparent status through not being taken out at an ‘obvious’ juncture in order to set a precedent for not doing what is expected only later, to hit with full force, that which was to have been expected had they not been expecting the unexpected.

It is generally played at night with no artificial lighting and each month’s new moon is traditionally the big night. Which is why the herbal ingestions and group shamanic experience beforehand are so vital - otherwise each side wouldn’t be able to communicate with each other, the player, and positively not the other side. The tag substitution rules are controversial even by local standards, extremely tough to implement and usually only attempted when there is clear evidence of potential total personal failure at a bioenergetic level. Excessive, surprise force is actively encouraged. Fatalities are unavoidable given the nature and purpose of the game which is probably why it’s big and not officially illegal over here, but I believe it’s outlawed in the UK and the US.

Not exactly. It's probably the Ultimate role-playing game. Each player fully assumes (through a group shamanic experience and ingestion of special ‘herbs’) the characteristics and role of the 'piece' they represent. As their physical and strategic position changes within the dynamically shifting context of their relative strength and weakness vis a viz their position within the overall structure of the side they represent as the game unfolds, their nature melds to accommodate the new reality they find themselves in and their new role and position.

Information and direction to each piece is given in coded gestures and animal noises from the ‘player’ who constantly shifts his, or her position during the course of the game to physically protect themselves and also to attempt to masquerade as the player for the other side if they can orchestrate such manoeuvres necessary to carry this off without blowing themselves out. These codings are modified during the game based on other codes and signals in order to maintain total non-disclosure of intent to anyone other than the intended recipient. Covert intent is vital for everyone as is deliberate setting of wrong intent with the expectation of that intent being viewed as deliberately misleading by the other side, and even more importantly – the other pieces on the same side which are even more expendable in some circumstances than the other side’s pieces. A common strategy is to allow an insignificant piece (power, role and position) to achieve greater apparent status through not being taken out at an ‘obvious’ juncture in order to set a precedent for not doing what is expected only later, to hit with full force, that which was to have been expected had they not been expecting the unexpected.

It is generally played at night with no artificial lighting and each month’s new moon is traditionally the big night. Which is why the herbal ingestions and group shamanic experience beforehand are so vital - otherwise each side wouldn’t be able to communicate with each other, the player, and positively not the other side. The tag substitution rules are controversial even by local standards, extremely tough to implement and usually only attempted when there is clear evidence of potential total personal failure at a bioenergetic level. Excessive, surprise force is actively encouraged. Fatalities are unavoidable given the nature and purpose of the game which is probably why it’s big and not officially illegal over here, but I believe it’s outlawed in the UK and the US.

Sounds great fun. When & where can I play? What do I need to bring? How long will it last?

Sounds great fun. When & where can I play? What do I need to bring? How long will it last?

right upto your last breath, it would seem!

Bramble: dont know why, but the references to shamans, herbs, and full moons reminded me of Castenada!

EDIT: shortened the original TheBramble post to show relevant bits.

It is. You've just missed this month's (day before yesterday), but next month's will be on 11th. Just East of Kampong Thum. I'll arrange transport to the location nearer the time once you've contacted me upon arrival. Just yourself and a willingness to be free of any desire to either go on or stop or not go on. Duration is largely dependent upon factors mostly outside of your direct control and those that are aren't going to make much difference anyway. Call me when you get to Phnom Penh, I'll send the boys fetch you.

Just out of interest, Whats the maximum realistic earning potential for playing online poker - say 8 hours per day? is it unlimited in that you control the bet sizes?

Cheers.

Just out of interest, Whats the maximum realistic earning potential for playing online poker - say 8 hours per day? is it unlimited in that you control the bet sizes?

Cheers.

havent really looked in depth - just played it for fun, and saw some usefulness, esp for newbies. (esp as feedback is immediate to your bets/cards)
I only play "Limit" Texas Hold'em, so effectively thats my Stop-Loss.
I only play the smaller beginner tables. its just for fun.
have no intentions of playing for real.
theres only a coupla million to win with poker. there be trillions with FX! :LOL: ;)

back to randomness:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/; then select "Stand-Up on 7- Milton Jones"
I have already mentioned him before, but he is a genius.

eg: My grandmother put lard all over my grandfathers back. He went downhill very fast after that.
eg: I have been trying to give up hypnosis for a while with little success. Tried smoking, nail-biting.....
eg: I spent years covering food in batter and cooking it. Bananas, apples, cherries, potatoes. Sometimes, I feel I am just frittering my life away.

classic. :LOL:

Horses have no place on public roads IMO - for their safety, their riders safety, and other road users safety.

I recently drove down a country lane, where i had reason to beep at another car. 300 metres round the corner, i had to stop as there was a horse on the road doing its nut, and a poor female rider rubbing her back. I'm presuming the horse bolted (perhaps due to the horn beep 20 seconds earlier :idea: ) and tossed the woman off its back :cry: . The woman was with another horse rider, and they were being followed by a jeep that was with them/attending to the problem, so perhaps the horse was a newbie.........