True Random r.r Odds?

acerungood

1 0
Hi All,

I'm currently working on a mathematical strategy based on taking random trades in random markets but wanted to double-check my figures.🧐

Obviously, we can be pretty sure that if you enter a trade in a random market, at a random time, in a random direction (short/long) with a risk of 1:1, you will be successful 50% of the time. Either it hits your stop or your target, it can't go in between.

However, I've applied similar logic for if you enter a "random" trade with a risk of 2:1 - you will be successful 33% of the time (1/3).

This is the intuitive answer, but I was wondering if this could differ slightly from the 1:1 example due to market volatility? Of course, in theory, you will be meeting a "random" amount of volatility which could favour or not favour your 2:1 but would you still expect a "true odds" return of 1/3?

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers :D

trilobite

87 154
Hi All,

I'm currently working on a mathematical strategy based on taking random trades in random markets but wanted to double-check my figures.🧐

Obviously, we can be pretty sure that if you enter a trade in a random market, at a random time, in a random direction (short/long) with a risk of 1:1, you will be successful 50% of the time. Either it hits your stop or your target, it can't go in between.

However, I've applied similar logic for if you enter a "random" trade with a risk of 2:1 - you will be successful 33% of the time (1/3).

This is the intuitive answer, but I was wondering if this could differ slightly from the 1:1 example due to market volatility? Of course, in theory, you will be meeting a "random" amount of volatility which could favour or not favour your 2:1 but would you still expect a "true odds" return of 1/3?

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers :D
Best bet is to try it for yourself. Open a trading account and place random direction trades on a pair over a period of time and document what happens. You could use a demo account. I've tried this myself, results are pretty much as you would expect, gradually lose over time due to spread and commission. It is a useful exercise as it is surprising how you can get a run of good luck, which looks like an edge (but of course is not).

Rufus_Leakey

224 103
Some people claim random entry strategies are successful:
Performance Stats
CAGR
18.11%​
Max DD
33.57%​
MAR
0.54​
Monthly Std Dev
6.34%​
Average Monthly Rtn
1.59%​

And some claim they don't work:
bad news: all 100 tests out of 100, lost money. Their Compound Annual Growth Rate was negative. Exactly opposite of the book: 100 percent of the time, it lost money.

I guess you could flip a coin to decide.:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock