New Forum Structure

Sanctuary and asylum available here :)

Flat 3B 3 Hans Crescent
London SW1X 0LS.
Tel: 020 7584 1367
Nearest Tube: Knightsbridge

Maybe 20 years ago you could have written a polite letter to a manager to complain about something. He may well have taken notice and done something about it. Nowadays nobody gives a toss about complaints. The only way to get anything done nowadays is to inflict excruciating embarrassment and ridicule on the organisation until they are forced to take notice. Better still if the pain is financial as well.

Nope - the pain doesn't really work. Human nature is to push back when attacked.

Once you turn it from making someone fell crappy about something to banging their head with it, you turn their angst towards you, away from themselves.

Do you think anything would have been done here otherwise? Would anyone have found the embarrassing partner offers on the website? Would T2W have written to the superfundfx recipients to withdraw the offer if the whole thing hadn't come out publicly?

The thing is - I agree on making someone feel embarrassed. There is a way to do that and there is a way to go too far rand rub someone's nose in something.

I didn't hear of another email of the same kind going out since this occurred, as such, I would consider T2W 'put to rights'. No need to continue to push the issue because everyone has a limit to how much abuse they can take.

Of course, stuff got deleted. It's not coming back. If other emails of a similar nature get sent out, then come back and complain again. As it is, it's best to just leave it now IMO.

Put your feet up, restore strength for the next offensive.

Have you noticed how the question about onetwotrade has been dodged for days?

yes :)

I do have a bit of sympathy, despite Steve protestations that no one is confused, they clearly aren't all singing from the same hymn sheet at the moment. The safest thing is to say and do nothing.

The most sensible thing they could do is either answer the question, or issue a statement that they are not prepared to discuss the issue, and further attempts to discuss the topic will result in whatever sanctions they feel are appropriate.

The evasiveness of some of the answers would put a politician to shame

Have none of you here ever had a job?

Have any of you been in management?

I have & it's like herding fncking cats most of the time. Why would you all expect totally consistent behaviour from a bunch of human men all working from different locations?

I'd expect them to be swinging the lead half the time...

And don't even get me started on customers & suppliers.

What was the question ?

I'll either answer it or tell you why I won't :)

Seriously, I'll take a look if you let me know what it was but keep in mind I'm not around tomorrow so it will be next week before I get back to you.

What was the question ?

Seriously, I'll take a look if you let me know what it was but keep in mind I'm not around tomorrow so it will be next week before I get back to you.

WHY ARE YOU EEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL?????

Do you not know you do the devils work?

Are you getting backhanders from evil vendors?

If not - would you like some?

What was the question ?

Was a partner offer sent out for onetwotrade.com

Same thing as superfund.

Timsk, a compromise solution would be to use this link at the top of the landing
page (above or below the new trader section):

Trade2Win Forums - Top 50 Stats
That is just the Top Ten Stats link that is currently at the bottom of the landing page.

In other words, put the Top Ten Stats link at the top of the landing page and
rename it discussion heatmap or similar :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would also put Trading journals into the Trading methods section as journals
are essentially a diary of someone's method.

Spreads could go into Trading methods, or as a subforum of Techical analysis.

Also, putting subforum links to Risk & Money Management & Trading Psychology
forums in First steps might be an idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, I can see where Robster and a few others are coming from
regarding the dumping of general trading chat altogether.
Worth noting that Elite Trader does still have a General section at the top of
the forum landing page - "trading".
Forum - Day Trader Forum - Day Trading - EliteTrader.com
That would reamove the mammoth task of re-filing all the General trading chat threads...
Maybe just refile the dcurrently stickied, most viewed threads that are clearly
in the wrong section?
The discussion heatmap idea I mentioned earlier might negate the need for that though?

Just my 2c feedback on the changes so far.
On the whole, apart from the above points, I think its OK :)

Hi Liquid validity,
Thanks for the feedback. It's soooooo refreshing to be presented with constructive ideas backed by sound reasoning. Posts along the lines of 'this is pants, what numpty came up with this load of old pony 'n trap?' - aren't very helpful!

What we want to do is to leave the new forum structure as is to settle down and to see how things go. We don't want to be continually picking at it. So, when we have all the feedback and a month or so has elapsed, we can review the situation and decide what elements need fine tuning. We'll then make any changes in one hit as it were. Ideas such as yours will be a great help with this process. I'll try and comment on each idea in the order that you present them:

1. Top 10 Stats
My gut feeling is - good idea - I like it. If there are good reasons for not doing it - I can't think of 'em! Technically, there are no obvious issues either that I can think of - but I'm a luddite so I could be wrong.

2. Trading Journals
I think everyone has ideas about the forum category that would be the best home for Trading Journals. The logic behind putting the forum in the New Traders category is that T2W has a lot of newbies (new to trading that is) and we want to ensure that they get to see this forum. Threads in there will then touch on all the other aspects of trading which will, in theory anyway, peek the interest of the newbie and encourage them to explore other forums. In other words, it's a gateway to the other forums and a broad mix of trading styles and methodologies. Having said that, your comments are noted and if the consensus view is that we should move it - then we will.

3. Spreads
If you're referring to the 'Spreads Trading' forum which has a temporary home in the 'Other Forums' sub-forum - then this is being dispensed with. I'll manually put the threads in there into the appropriate new forum based on subject matter - typically the market traded.

4. Sub-forum Links
There is a general presumption against creating sub-forums and new links unless there are exceptional circumstances. The new look is clean and cohesive and having sub-forums tends to negate that feel. That said, the forum 'Essentials' Stickies will, in time, be edited and/or re-written and having links in them to Risk & Money Management etc. is a good idea.

5. General Trading Chat
Re-filing all of the threads in this forum is indeed a mammoth task. I'm going to start on a date basis and go back a month or so. After that, we'll either create a read only archive for the rest or look into the feasibility of getting someone to move them to the new forums. That's a decision yet to be taken and will form part of the initial review in a month or so's time. However, we are keen to get rid of it for the reasons I gave in my reply earlier to robster.

Thanks again for the feedback.
(y)
Tim.

What we want to do is to leave the new forum structure as is to settle down and to see how things go. We don't want to be continually picking at it. So, when we have all the feedback and a month or so has elapsed, we can review the situation and decide what elements need fine tuning. We'll then make any changes in one hit as it were.
Makes sense, I agree.

1. Top 10 Stats
My gut feeling is - good idea - I like it. If there are good reasons for not doing it - I can't think of 'em! Technically, there are no obvious issues either that I can think of - but I'm a luddite so I could be wrong.
Should be a doddle to implement.

2. Trading Journals
I think everyone has ideas about the forum category that would be the best home for Trading Journals. The logic behind putting the forum in the New Traders category is that T2W has a lot of newbies (new to trading that is) and we want to ensure that they get to see this forum. Threads in there will then touch on all the other aspects of trading which will, in theory anyway, peek the interest of the newbie and encourage them to explore other forums. In other words, it's a gateway to the other forums and a broad mix of trading styles and methodologies. Having said that, your comments are noted and if the consensus view is that we should move it - then we will.
I can see the reasoning, I suppose my primary
train of thought was that some journal content may not be
beneficial for someone new to read, if you know what I mean.

3. Spreads
If you're referring to the 'Spreads Trading' forum which has a temporary home in the 'Other Forums' sub-forum - then this is being dispensed with. I'll manually put the threads in there into the appropriate new forum based on subject matter - typically the market traded.
Fair point, spread trading not commonplace to be fair

4. Sub-forum Links
There is a general presumption against creating sub-forums and new links unless there are exceptional circumstances. The new look is clean and cohesive and having sub-forums tends to negate that feel. That said, the forum 'Essentials' Stickies will, in time, be edited and/or re-written and having links in them to Risk & Money Management etc. is a good idea.
Bold highlight sounds like the best implementation

5. General Trading Chat
Re-filing all of the threads in this forum is indeed a mammoth task. I'm going to start on a date basis and go back a month or so. After that, we'll either create a read only archive for the rest or look into the feasibility of getting someone to move them to the new forums. That's a decision yet to be taken and will form part of the initial review in a month or so's time. However, we are keen to get rid of it for the reasons I gave in my reply earlier to robster.
I understand the reasoning, it is sound I agree.
Human nature is what it is though, worth bearing in mind the ET approach there.
Then again as mentioned earlier, the discussion heatmap idea,
top ten stats or whatever may well negate the issue anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback.
No problem, I can see genuine change is underfoot,
it makes more sense to me to provide input.

(y)
Tim.

putting top 10 stats at the top of the page would be a grave error. if anyone wants to view it can scroll down and do just that. in any case the vast majority of members use new posts which gives the same info. there are other very valid reasons why it should not be moved, though i shouldn't need to go into that ;)

putting top 10 stats at the top of the page would be a grave error. if anyone wants to view it can scroll down and do just that. in any case the vast majority of members use new posts which gives the same info. there are other very valid reasons why it should not be moved, though i shouldn't need to go into that ;)

I can see what you mean, I spose I was thinking mainly of the new posts element
of the top ten stats mainly.

Think along the lines of ET's 5 most recent posts for each subforum,
or the Trading Forum Chatbox on big mikes.

Not sure but I think the mistake you refer to is promoting posting only in
highly viewed threads and highlighting post count, potentially making an issue of it?

Maybe for T2W you are right, I dunno, thats the whole point of this really,
more people need to pipe up and say what they think.

Hmm... I'll chime in on the vendor issue with my 2c...

First off, I never really cared for the Witch Hunt. I hate scammers as much as the other guy, but my take since almost getting scammed out of $5000 when I was in my first year of Uni just 3 years ago is that these guys are best left alone. The cost of pursuit is simply not worth the effort.

The lessons I took from that episode are quite simple:

1) Learn to recognize a scam.

2) To kill a scammer, don't give him your money.

3) Scammers have their work cut out most times. The "get rich quick" mentality or merely putting up the right appearances is sufficient for the scammee to part himself of his money.

Simple enough, imo.

------

Now, the issue the anti-T2W crowd seems to have is that T2W may or may not be abetting such schemes, which sounds reasonable.

However, I think this is really futile. Trading seems to be more rife with bad deals and scam artists than any other medium I've seen yet -- and a lot of these are legal! I agree that the obvious ones such as "900% in two months!!1!" need to be shut down, but something like broker deals or NinjaTrader add-ons or whatever are fair game since it's sorta' legit stuff.

So my take here is that T2W would be better off providing an "enlightenment" stance towards its members, imo. Plaster in red if you have to, but put up some notice that if you're a newbie to trading, then someone, somehow is likely going to be itching to get his/her hand in your pocket. Best to tell these guys "buyer beware" than to attempt to take on the entire vendor establishment (road to quick ruin).

I'll finish with an anecdote. There's this 57 y-o guy I know from another forum. He sucks at trading, but thought he could use his life's savings to see if he could do it. After a couple futile months and maybe $15k lost, he turned to vendorland. Despite everything and anything I told him, he still shelled out $2.5k to learn a specific type trade.

So in parting, all I can say is that no matter what you do or how many scammers you take down, someone, somewhere will want to part with his money because he thinks he's getting a good deal.

And that's my take on the vendor issue. :)

------

P.S. I'm liking the new look of the forum. Props to Tim even if I mourn the loss of Trading General. :)

new struct is ok. At least some useless parts with less replies was deleted from the struct.

agree that the tidying up of the old, less replied to sub forums is a good thing.

it's the surprise vandalism and doing away with the most popular one that has caused a stir. time will tell if the desired effect they wish for is there. anyhow, how will we know? not sure how they'll report to the members on this in the future.

it's the surprise vandalism and doing away with the most popular one that has caused a stir. time will tell if the desired effect they wish for is there. anyhow, how will we know? not sure how they'll report to the members on this in the future.
Hi LM,
"Surprise vandalism?" A tad strong isn't it?
After all, if one's going to go to the trouble of conducting a thorough review of the forum structure and to then follow through with any changes, there's not a lot of point in pussy footying around and tinkering at the edges! Okay, Goethe put it more eloquently when he wrote:

"Then indecision brings its own delays,
And days are lost lamenting over lost days.
Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute;
What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it;
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

As to whether or not we'll know if the changes result in the 'desired effect', I'm surprised at the comment as I thought I'd provided a clear and comprehensive answer to this in this thread that you're already subscribed to: General Trading Chat That said, if the answer isn't as clear or as comprehensive as you'd like, please voice your concerns and I'll do my best to allay your fears.
;)
Tim.