New Look T2W

I am with blackcab it's not comfortable width to read from. I have to scroll sidways to read the tex, or Maximize the page. There was no need to do this on the old T2W....

It's a small issue, but I disagree that it's a comfortable width - it's not for me, anyway. Books and newspaper/journal columns run at around 12 words/line whereas this design is 25-28 words/line.

I just Googled [good web design "words per line"] and the first two hits say this. Didn't look any further than that as it's not a personal crusade or anything :)

Thank You

that explains my headache! :mad:

I stand 500% behind what you say.

Increase size of font please!!!!!!

Still wont comment on layout. need to get used to it. lack of comment on my behalf will mean approval. :D

J

Latest Thread link is available on Home screen on the box that says Welcome Back - Member....in blue background box....You have two choices - View Thread....and View Posts

Can we have it on the forum pages too?

I've made the font colour for posts darker - I think it makes it much easier on the eyes. Let me know what you think.

Much better for reading posts. It would be nice if you could look at improving the contrast elsewhere as well.

thanks
Tim

The latest threads is really just the latest posts, plus all the other posts in sequential order going back 5 days. So how would people feel if we just linked the latest posts to the latest threads, since it does the same thing + more?

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?do=getnew

New threads:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?s=&do=getdaily&days=5

Re. the font size. I take your point about the number of words on a line. But if you compare us to most of forums out there - we're just the same, of course other sites you can resize the window but the reality more often than not is the window size is full width or at least 3/4, so you end up with the same result. I can post some examples of a larger font size but having tried it larger, I'm not yet convinced it's an improvement. We'll see... :)

Sharky, font size is secondary
"if you compare us to most of forums out there - we're just the same" that isn't correct
this site and individual pages need margins
all reading material has margins and is why newspapers etc use columns — legibility
the exception are web sites produced by people who don't know what they're doing

as others have also stated, T2W's current design has lost legibility

The latest threads is really just the latest posts, plus all the other posts in sequential order going back 5 days. So how would people feel if we just linked the latest posts to the latest threads, since it does the same thing + more?

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?do=getnew

New threads:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?s=&do=getdaily&days=5

Re. the font size. I take your point about the number of words on a line. But if you compare us to most of forums out there - we're just the same, of course other sites you can resize the window but the reality more often than not is the window size is full width or at least 3/4, so you end up with the same result. I can post some examples of a larger font size but having tried it larger, I'm not yet convinced it's an improvement. We'll see... :)
I like the way the 'new threads' view separates new,
unread posts from recent, read posts with bold font
and a separator line. That's useful.

I'm sure you didn't really mean that just because all
the other forums do something in a crap way that's
how T2W will do it too :) It's not the font size but
how the display renders to the window size. Which
of these ET displays is easier to read?

Attachments

• et_thread_wide.gif
    et_thread_wide.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 163
  • et_thread_narrow.gif
    et_thread_narrow.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 168
Hi Sharkey,

I am still having to log in at every move that I make. This morning, I had to sign in to get into the forex competition then, when I saw your post, I wrote a longish answer and, when I pressed the submit button, had to log in again. The problem there was that I lost my post and have had to do it again-

Grrrrr!

Anyway, I am taking the precaution of writing on onenote first, this time.

This is, probably, the gravest bug that is evident to me but I would like to mention that, on the old site, there was a dropdown box on the home page where the recent threads and posts were, along with chatroom, etc. I used to go there first. Now I have to go to forum, where there is a menu and recent post posts comes after blog. I have to log in to get that far and it is not so convenient. Also, that RSS button is grey (unavailable) until I log in.

Another different item is that your emails go into my spam box, now, at least most of them do, but not all. The Spam box got emptied without reading until I found that T2W emails can get in there, so I have to read that now. Is there something that you can do about that? I want your stuff to go into my Inbox.

Hey! Good news! I've learned my password, 8 digits, by heart. Not bad for 75!

I have no problems reading anything

Split

Last edited:
Split - from other posts on different threads - it sounds like we've finally resolved the log in problems. If anyone is still having probs then check out this thread: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=24753

Okay, quick update regarding the status of the website (and outstanding bugs). Issues we're aware of:

1. Front page online stats are incorrect at the moment.
2. Calendar priority levels are missing, and the update of the figures isn't happening immediately (THIS WILL BE FIXED SHORTLY).
3. Traderpedia - it's not possible to make edits at the moment. (SHOULD BE FIXED SHORTLY).
4. Partner Emails - these are sending multiple times. We apologise for this, and looking urgently into finding out what the cause of the problem is. SORRY!

Considering it's such a major upgrade, we're pleased overall with the status of things. It's frustrating to still have to deal with these teething problems, but with the support of our members we'll be able to resolve all outstanding issues shortly, and start upgrading the new sections. If you experience any sort of issues then please either email [email protected] or post your problem on this thread. Thanks!

BTW I've updated the New Post links so (as well as the new posts) they also show ALL the last posts from the last 5 days! :)

I'm very taken with the new look, it's clean, stylish and has drawn together the site content in a more logical manner. Speed is blinding and the place looks more modern and cheerful. Calender eminently useful. What's a private calendar by the way, think I saw an option for that? The competition is horribly addictive and allows one the pleasure of running losers to minus hundereds of pips at no cost except pride. Any chance of adding an index - Dow or S&P perhaps? :)

Only quibbles - I agree with blackcab etc. that the fixed page width is a tiny bit wide. I think it should be half way between then and now, if you see what I mean. But not a problem.

And I can't upload any attachments. Tried a jpg and a png on the Dow thread and it said upload failed. I'll try again in the morning and delete this if it works.

Great job anyway mate, well done to all of ya.

Last edited:
Great - thanks for the feedback. Hopefully people are starting to get used to the new look 'n feel and warming to it - change is always hard, but I'm convinced we've moved forward in a big way.

The attachments weren't working last night, this morning - but we've squashed that bug - so all is well again. Regarding the text width/font size, that's something we'll look at - but for the moment all our time is taken up making sure everything is running smoothly.

Outstanding issues:

- Calendar: its missing previous figures, and the actuals are not showing up immediately. Both these things are due to be resolved next week - by monday hopefully.
- Traderpedia: editing is still not working, we've looking into this and we should have it fixed by tomorrow as an estimate.
- Articles: comments on articles aren't yet available, but should be later today.

There are various other improvements we're making but those are the main things left outstanding.

We've added a spell check function (it's the abc - tick icon in the top right corner of where you enter your reply). So no more excuses for typos or bad spelling!

Is there any way of bookmarking the new posts (or today's posts) list?

At the moment you need to generate each list from another T2W page to get to it. I realise these lists are generated afresh each time... which means there's no point in bookmarking any resultant list as it won't be updated next time it's accessed...but it would be cool to access these in one hit rather than having to go through the home page every time. Is there any way this could be done?

Black-cabs way is the old way to view new posts. It shows ONLY new posts since your last visit. The link that frugi gave is the one we now use for "new posts" in the header and the top of the forums - basically it's exactly the same as the old way PLUS it shows older posts in chronoligcal order for the past 5 days. Handy if you visited the site previously but didn't check new posts - and therefore the system thinks you did up until that point. Both new posts and old posts are clearly differentiated in the new system. Hope that all makes sense?!!! :)

If I didn't thank you for all the work you put into making this new site work, Sharky, I do now.

I'm very comfortable with it and with the text layout. Still have things to use but, normally, I don't deviate much from exchanging posts with others.

Split

Start off by thanking you all for the site and all the new changes. Very pleased with it all.

If the pages were a little narrow-er it would help. I would agree with a previous blog that it is on the wide side.

Regarding everyting else; colour scheme, it's freshness, layout, contents, features all great. 5 Stars. :D