EUR/USD Trading

godoftrading

What is the most active time for EUR/USD? For example, SP500 futures are most active from 9:30 am-10:30am and 3:00pm -4:00pm Eastern Time. Also, is there a major pair similar to the SP500 futures in terms of similarity in the most active times? Thanks in advance.

i would also like the answer to this one.

What is the most active time for EUR/USD? For example, SP500 futures are most active from 9:30 am-10:30am and 3:00pm -4:00pm Eastern Time. Also, is there a major pair similar to the SP500 futures in terms of similarity in the most active times? Thanks in advance.

i would also like the answer to this one.

MHO
Best Times To Trade (Eastern Times below)

EUR/USD
During the Tokyo session, the Euro only trades 15% of all volume so it is best to start watching the Euro late in the Tokyo session. It trades 39% of all forex volume during the London session. It can also be traded during the New York session.

GBP/USD
The pound trades extremely lightly during the Tokyo session. Start watching it near the end of the Tokyo session, as it can start moving then. In the London session, GBP/USD accounts for approximately 23% of all forex trading volume. The pound can be traded in the New York session also.

USD/JPY
During the Tokyo session, USD/JPY accounts for approximately 78% of all forex volume. This drops to about 17% during the London session.
There are occasional days when these 3 pairs make significant price moves outside the sessions, which normally have the most trading volume.

News Releases / Economic Data Releases
2350 GMT Japan Fundamentals (18:50 EST/19:50 EDT)
0700 GMT EuroZone Open (02:00 EST/03:00 EDT)
0745 GMT EuroZone Fundamentals (02:45 EST/03:45 EDT)
08:30 US USA Economic Figures

So lucky, do you trade the forex then? and if so have you ever spread betted them?

MHO

EUR/USD
During the Tokyo session, the Euro only trades 15% of all volume so it is best to start watching the Euro late in the Tokyo session. It trades 39% of all forex volume during the London session. It can also be traded during the New York session.

GBP/USD
The pound trades extremely lightly during the Tokyo session. Start watching it near the end of the Tokyo session, as it can start moving then. In the London session, GBP/USD accounts for approximately 23% of all forex trading volume. The pound can be traded in the New York session also.

USD/JPY
During the Tokyo session, USD/JPY accounts for approximately 78% of all forex volume. This drops to about 17% during the London session.
There are occasional days when these 3 pairs make significant price moves outside the sessions, which normally have the most trading volume.

News Releases / Economic Data Releases
2350 GMT Japan Fundamentals (18:50 EST/19:50 EDT)
0700 GMT EuroZone Open (02:00 EST/03:00 EDT)
0745 GMT EuroZone Fundamentals (02:45 EST/03:45 EDT)
08:30 US USA Economic Figures

MHO

EUR/USD

Doesn't need to be said, but I agree - The Tokyo session is generally a bit thin. US am/ Europe pm is the most actively traded session, since both the US and Europe are up and running, however, there are decent moves throughout the whole of both sessions, giving pretty decent opportunities from around 8 am - 9 pm GMT. I find it gets a bit rangy in Tokyo session but scalps are possible and I've done a few - probably not worth the effort though :)

I've never spread-bet EUR/USD but trading through a forex broker is not too far removed and gives the same sorts of leverage.

does that mean the GBP/EUR is best pair to trade between 8 and 9 GMT? also which pair trend best?

Doesn't need to be said, but I agree - The Tokyo session is generally a bit thin. US am/ Europe pm is the most actively traded session, since both the US and Europe are up and running, however, there are decent moves throughout the whole of both sessions, giving pretty decent opportunities from around 8 am - 9 pm GMT. I find it gets a bit rangy in Tokyo session but scalps are possible and I've done a few - probably not worth the effort though :)

I've never spread-bet EUR/USD but trading through a forex broker is not too far removed and gives the same sorts of leverage.

does that mean the GBP/EUR is best pair to trade between 8 and 9 GMT? also which pair trend best?

Don't trade GBP/EUR - it certainly doesn't trend as much as EUR/USD on the longer timeframes. Not sure about intraday.

I would have thought anybody modestly calling themselves godoftrading wouldn't need to be asking such questions.:D

As far as EURUSD I used to trade 7am - 11am, 2pm-5pm

However recently I have found 8:30 - 12 and 3-5 has better moves

Nothing is really that obvious in trading I'm afraid.....

Time of Day

In my experience, the trading day for most markets (EURUSD included) can be divided into the following time frames:

* The first two hours of the day - The first two hours that your market is open, or the first two hours of regular trading if your market is open twenty-four hours per day. This is usually the time of day that has the most trading activity, and for this reason, many professional traders only trade during the first two hours of the day.
* The rest of the morning - The remaining hours until lunch time.
* Lunch Time - This is usually the time of day that has the least trading activity, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it shouldn't be traded.
* The first two hours of the afternoon - The first two hours of the afternoon session can be as active as the first two hours of the morning session. In addition, the first two hours of the European afternoon session include the US open and part of the US morning session, so the additional trading activity can make this a very actively traded time of day.
* The rest of the afternoon - The remaining hours until your market closes, or until the end of regular trading if your market is open twenty-four hours per day.

Knowing when to trade is as important as knowing how to trade. By keeping track of the results of your trading system during each of the above time frames, you will be able to determine when it is most profitable. You may even find that you only need to trade for a couple of hours each day, and can spend the rest of the day doing something else that you enjoy.

Adam Milton

Last edited:
*bows* thank you. Your post is niiiiiice :) Posting for make benefit glorious traders :whistling

In my experience, the trading day for most markets (EURUSD included) can be divided into the following time frames:

* The first two hours of the day - The first two hours that your market is open, or the first two hours of regular trading if your market is open twenty-four hours per day. This is usually the time of day that has the most trading activity, and for this reason, many professional traders only trade during the first two hours of the day.
* The rest of the morning - The remaining hours until lunch time.
* Lunch Time - This is usually the time of day that has the least trading activity, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it shouldn't be traded.
* The first two hours of the afternoon - The first two hours of the afternoon session can be as active as the first two hours of the morning session. In addition, the first two hours of the European afternoon session include the US open and part of the US morning session, so the additional trading activity can make this a very actively traded time of day.
* The rest of the afternoon - The remaining hours until your market closes, or until the end of regular trading if your market is open twenty-four hours per day.

Knowing when to trade is as important as knowing how to trade. By keeping track of the results of your trading system during each of the above time frames, you will be able to determine when it is most profitable. You may even find that you only need to trade for a couple of hours each day, and can spend the rest of the day doing something else that you enjoy.

Adam Milton