EUR/USD volatility

JTrader

Hi

EUR/USD displayed major volatility during yesterday evenings trading. 140 pip swing within an hour.

What is the most number of pips you have seen spot or futures EUR/USD move, in how short a space of time? What was this following/what was the cause?

Cheers

jtrader.

Also,
What caused yesterday evenings volatility by the way? (I don't have my finger on the pulse this week/not trading). No major news releases are on the clandar at that time :confused:
Was it caused by the economic data coming out of Japan?

Apart from surprise rate changes, NFP is always the "big one" - wasn't there a 400 pipper (cable) last year? I remember one NFP last year which was particularly violent swinging 100+ pips in *both* directions - the commentators called this a "drive by" engineered by some hedge funds/banks!?!

Last edited:
jtrader - the FOMC interest rate hike announcement came out yesterday at 2.15pm EST, which is around 7.15pm our time - currencies in particular went straight up, but most of the markets wiggled a bit around then.

http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/EconodayFrame.asp

Significant news to watch for are FOMC, NFP, employment numbers, consumer confidence and ECB

Hi
400 pips on cable? was this in the blink of an eye, minutes, or over an hour or two?

It's my understanding that the cable price can be moved much more easily around major news releases than can EUR/USD.

Therefore, I'm just trying to gage the extent of the biggest amounts of price movment in the shortest space of time that people know of on EUR/USD?

Also, what the biggest number of pips slippage you've seen on EUR/USD, literally in the blink of an eye/or seconds?

Last edited:
jtrader - the FOMC interest rate hike announcement came out yesterday at 2.15pm EST, which is around 7.15pm our time - currencies in particular went straight up, but most of the markets wiggled a bit around then.

http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/EconodayFrame.asp

Significant news to watch for are FOMC, NFP, employment numbers, consumer confidence and ECB

Thanks Arb,

i've just opened a futuresbetting account and had just been looking at the charts on the futuresbetting demo platform. I thought times were UK times, but they must be EST.

GammaJammer - Think EUR/USD did a couple of big figures straight away if memory serves me right.

Hi GJ

do you mean a couple of hundred pips slippage within seconds?

Cheers
JT.

hows about that move today JTrader? low of 1.2942at 13.29h21s to high of 1.2925 in EuroFX futures at 13.30h19s - thats 83 pips in less than 60 seconds

sweet! :cheesy: