Best Thread Capital Spreads

Because its tax free and low cost.

As a spread better myself now, the odd dealer referral/slippage makes very little difference. A couple of points now and again, thats really not going to make any difference to me, and it certiantly wont be the difference between me winning and losing.

My p/l will be almost the same regardless of who i trade with.

Last edited:
It was marketed as an exchange, but it wasn't really. 99% of the money available on the exchange was actually ours. Very rarely would 2 clients get matched directly.

It was a good idea, but there are not enough sports spread betters out there to fill the exchange.
Yes this is correct regarding Spreadfair exchange. I knew directly they had a liquid provider, this as the participants couldn't match each other. I believe they never grew big enough?

Because its tax free

+ wide range of markets from a single account + smaller stakes for swing trading , ie : 1 instead of 10 for oil , 10 instead of 50 for ES ... etc , which would be a better choice for swing trading and portfolio trading ...

Fair enough, like I said earlier horses for courses, g/l with all

Very true, it depends on the trader. Like i said, if your your a high volume scalper , or your trading large size, then DMA is a must.

Last edited:
Yes this is correct regarding Spreadfair exchange. I knew directly they had a liquid provider, this as the participants couldn't match each other. I believe they never grew big enough?

Yea, i think (when i was there) there was an estimated 80,000 regular sports spread betters in the uk. Most of who used spreadex or sporting index. Not enough to fill an exchange. They claimed to offer tighter spreads which they didn't, combined with having to pay 5% commission on your winnings it really wasn't a very good deal for the clients.

When they realized they wen't going to make enough money out of the spreads and commission, they decided to play the markets and take massive exposures, believing they knew more then there clients! and they got cleaned out!

Now sports bookies are the ones you can really point the finger when it comes to dirty tricks. Regular winner accounts simply got closed

Last edited:
Yea, i think (when i was there) there was an estimated 80,000 regular sports spread betters in the uk. Most of who used spreadex or sporting index. Not enough to fill an exchange. They claimed to offer tighter spreads which they didn't, combined with having to pay 5% commission on your winnings it really wasn't a very good deal for the clients.

When they realized they wen't going to make enough money out of the spreads and commission, they decided to play the markets and take massive exposures, believing they knew more then there clients! and they got cleaned out!

Now sports bookies are the ones you can really point the finger when it comes to dirty tricks. Regular winner accounts simply got closed
What about LMax? Have they really got enough of clients to make it success?

Yes the SB have improved greatly in all areas, especially the last couple of years.

Last edited:
I guess so. I should think certain institutions would have use for a CFD exchange which would provide good liquidity.

DITTO! Now in my 5th year spread betting for a living. The odd delay, re-quote. never a problem. People who lose at spread betting, who think they will magically make money under DMA and its all down to the broker are deluded. (y)

The only exception is high frequency scalpers.

+1

Ok there is almost 1,000 pages here, is it safe to say that if scalping it's better to go DMA where other traders can take the other sides of your trades, and if you are swing or position trading then you shouldn't face too many problems using an SB firm?

Ok there is almost 1,000 pages here, is it safe to say that if scalping it's better to go DMA where other traders can take the other sides of your trades, and if you are swing or position trading then you shouldn't face too many problems using an SB firm?
Yes correctly, I don't see any problem if you are swing or position trading. An extreme short term trader might run into problem with some SB providers.

Yea, all down to your style.

If i'm trading an instrument and i'm planning on risking 40-50 points on the trade. I'm not fussed if i get delayed and its costs me 3 points (as long as its not happening every time) But say i were a short term trader risking 10 points on the trade and those 3 points equate to 30% of my position (+ the spread!), i wouldn't be happy.

3 points at £10 a point is over £5000 a year with just one trade a day, no matter what your risk or type of trading that is straight off your bottom line profit.

All anyone needs to do is try, if they feel they are getting a raw deal change, simples, they go onto someone else. I would say that CS are one of the best but they are still a SB, dont forget that.

I have had accounts with most brokers but I am always looking for the best in price and execuation and if I can get 0.2 spread better I will, it improves the bottom line and to say a few pips here and there do not matter is very wrong no matter what type of trading you do.

Is anyone else experiencing platform freezes? I am sure it is unintentional as logging back in and closing a trade with a larger profit was possible.

One issue is when I place a trade and the platform freezes. Logging back in solves it.
Another type I had just before my lunch. I thought I would close my trade and enjoy my lunch but the deal ticket just did not confirm the close. So I had to log back in.

Simon, any suggestions?

You must have a track record of winning then right as you are getting delays and platform freezing? Only joking of course.................

I am sure the managing director of capital spreads is more than happy to help you with your software issues and is not busy running the company, have u tried calling them at CS directly, can give u Simons personnel phone number if you want to speak to him yourself.........

Yes correctly, I don't see any problem if you are swing or position trading. An extreme short term trader might run into problem with some SB providers.

Yea, all down to your style.

If i'm trading an instrument and i'm planning on risking 40-50 points on the trade. I'm not fussed if i get delayed and its costs me 3 points (as long as its not happening every time) But say i were a short term trader risking 10 points on the trade and those 3 points equate to 30% of my position (+ the spread!), i wouldn't be happy.

Ok thanks that's what i thought.

3 points at £10 a point is over £5000 a year with just one trade a day, no matter what your risk or type of trading that is straight off your bottom line profit.

All anyone needs to do is try, if they feel they are getting a raw deal change, simples, they go onto someone else. I would say that CS are one of the best but they are still a SB, dont forget that.

I have had accounts with most brokers but I am always looking for the best in price and execuation and if I can get 0.2 spread better I will, it improves the bottom line and to say a few pips here and there do not matter is very wrong no matter what type of trading you do.

Good point, I think though that as a trader that takes positions lasting from a few days to a few weeks that I wont have this problem, my positions are taken when traffic is less heavy and my stops run 50 points so it is easily foreseeable and hegdable on their behalf

Is anyone else experiencing platform freezes? I am sure it is unintentional as logging back in and closing a trade with a larger profit was possible.

You cant be sure , everything is possible ...