A Moderator's View

Keep it on the field.

Ok ive had an idea to hold together under the one site members who wish to use the site as a social informal chinwag ,banter and a few laughs ,also for members who want to develop ideas ,discussion ,who genuinely want to canvas serious interaction without so much of the former.

There needs to be a reminder, visible simple to highlight that they are going from one area to another and need to behave accordingly to the thread starters wishes regarding , wanted level of participation.

This image reduce it to an Icon size and the thread starter then has the choice to display it, which should appear next to the thread title and in the thread posts.

What the icon would mean with a nice write up of explanation and of course shrewd use of a hover mouse web code ,is the conversation ,discussion needs to be Kept On The Field hence the image which is in fact a rugby pitch but , cunning also, the americans might thinks its a footie field too !

This will put a reminder to members who participate in those threads to act accordingly . Strictly to pushing the ideas presented to the maximum giving their own maximum .

I think its not a case of trying to keep the nasties out, just a reminder to respect the ideas and members .

Keep it on the field.

Then maybe for the not so serious threads, ducatti could provide us with some of the wonderfuls naked ladies for the icons..... (just kidding)

Ta.

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 578
IMHO: Posting inappropriate images should result in an instant lifetime ban from this site. It is a much worse offence than multiple nicks. I sometimes read this forum when I am at work and the rules about web content is very explicit. Whilst a certain amount of personal use is permitted you can be sacked for viewing any content that is deemed offensive to anyone who may be exposed to what you are viewing. I wouldn't ordinarily expect a TRADING website to contain such images! This definitely would make a good case for litigation.

I have noticed Certain members whenever they meet on the thread there is always firework.They must take opposite side sometimes for sake of it. What might be solutions for that.
Also i have observe some members like to put down newbie for no particular reason. Sometimes newbie ask valid questions and get dismissed and ridiculed for fun of it. We all need to remember we were once newbie.

I strongly disagree with the idea that a thread starter should have moderation rights over a thread. If there was ever a way to allow scam merchants the opportunity to develop their own agenda on the site unchallenged then that is it.

Regards,

Gareth

garethb said:
I strongly disagree with the idea that a thread starter should have moderation rights over a thread. If there was ever a way to allow scam merchants the opportunity to develop their own agenda on the site unchallenged then that is it.

Regards,

Gareth

yeah good point with the rights, I think that would be a last resort drastic measure, but thats when I then thought of an Icon that the thread starter could display next to his or her thread so members new the level of standards to work with.

I mean you could still have appropriate humour in a serious thread but at least members would know that the thread starter is being serious and not tugging on tools.

garethb said:

Regards,

Gareth
I'm not sure what the rules are about setting up private forums, but I would have thought this would be the obvious answer to those who for one reason or another find themselves at the centre of constant argument. If a poster feels strongly that he has a message of worth to get over and cannot do it on the open forum, then maybe that is the way to go, if he is over zealous in his moderation, stifling debate he will simply end up posting to himself, if he is even handed and his message has merit, then he will have people to post to
It might also be interesting if such forums were viewable, and the private aspect was simply restricted to posting rights.

Last edited:
T2W need to offer some incentive to attract and keep moderators. A little bit of cash for their time will go long way. Moderator need to be neutral.

the threads that have all the problems have been ones started by the main antagonizers, (Socrates journal, CYOF's pyschological ramblings) and now one Irish related one so that was inevitable eventually anyway. There are plenty of other threads running smooth as you like day in, day out problem free (weekly FX, the DAX, FX minors, Gold next move and so on....) .

The problem still lies, in my opinion, in us, if we feel so strongly about it, stay clear of the thread, if everyone did, they will die off anyway. If we all stick to the sensible threads of interest, happy days. IMO anyhow.

wasp said:
the threads that have all the problems have been ones started by the main antagonizers, (Socrates journal, CYOF's pyschological ramblings) and now one Irish related one so that was inevitable eventually anyway. There are plenty of other threads running smooth as you like day in, day out problem free (weekly FX, the DAX, FX minors, Gold next move and so on....) .

The problem still lies, in my opinion, in us, if we feel so strongly about it, stay clear of the thread, if everyone did, they will die off anyway. If we all stick to the sensible threads of interest, happy days. IMO anyhow.
That would of course be the mature thing to do, but then we're all moved to throw what we think is a witty comment into some of the cauldrons, perhaps to appease the child that lurks in us.

I know, annoying isn't it, I've not been able to resist a couple of times!

new_trader said:
IMHO: Posting inappropriate images should result in an instant lifetime ban from this site. It is a much worse offence than multiple nicks. I sometimes read this forum when I am at work and the rules about web content is very explicit. Whilst a certain amount of personal use is permitted you can be sacked for viewing any content that is deemed offensive to anyone who may be exposed to what you are viewing. I wouldn't ordinarily expect a TRADING website to contain such images! This definitely would make a good case for litigation.

Yes new_trader, this is a very important point.

If this sort of thing continues then I think I'll have to stop reading the forums when I'm in work.

dd

LOL....I thought I was past dummy spitting until lately ..hehe but you're never too old to play it seems ;)
Good points though ...frankly I've just found the ignore button and loaded up and it's now lovely.

Rogue..
I thought private forums was also a good route ,BUT then I realised why it actually won't work ! and I really should have known upfront ... the typical problem threads always involve proponents who would no more move out of the public eye than they would emigrate to the moon ...the so called discussion ,or issue ,or goal is vastly secondary to the need to be the focus of attention ..... !

I've also suggested putting a banner ,or logo on a thread to identify that the starter would like it to be for ...discussion, exchange of information ,learning on topic ...any thread not carrying such a logo should be deemed to be 'open house' subject to site moderation.

Rogue..
I thought private forums was also a good route ,BUT then I realised why it actually won't work ! and I really should have known upfront ... the typical problem threads always involve proponents who would no more move out of the public eye than they would emigrate to the moon ...the so called discussion ,or issue ,or goal is vastly secondary to the need to be the focus of attention ..... !
ROFL, and here was I trying to be all diplomatic, and not say that, aw hell, you are of course quite right, the threads that erupt into a handbags at 5 paces event are just about that. One has to accept that people who continually put themselves in the centre of a fight like fighting.

As long as the belief is held that deleting posts solves the problem, the problem will continue. What is needed is not more moderators, but rules that are more than rhetoric.

et al

My vote still goes for the option of the thread starter having moderation rights on his thread.
The purpose is to try and retain the talent.

If every time an interesting thread is destroyed by off-topic ramping, nonsense, ego, etc T2W will simply be left with the rampers and novice posters.

Already you have a number of private forums, and I assume they work reasonably well, as their respective moderators are still here.

Thus should the same privilege be extended into the public forums a similar result could be expected. Most people will not persist in posting in a thread in which their post is simply deleted. If they do, then a bit more work for the moderator.

The system is self-regulating via feedback, or price discovery on a chart. If the moderator is too heavy handed people will sell the thread, and if just right they will buy the thread assuming the product has economic utility.

Banning members has failed miserably.
Current moderators are outnumbered.
Move to the laissez faire model, capitalism at its most pure.

For those against my girls three points;
*you shouldn't be wasting your employers money playing.....do some work
*they are only to highlight the problem.
*once a satisfactory solution is reached there will be no further requirement for their services.

jog on
d998

To Barjon,

To be fair I know you have your work cut out moderating and you do a good job too. However, how come the 'lose ya shirt the fastest way' or whatever it was now ;) I forget coz it went on so much without much direction.... how come that was let go on like that after endless people asking CYOF what exactly was it he wanted us to guess, or what was his point or opinion? He knew exactly what he was doing and like my deleted post stated he just wanted the hits on his thread if you ask me. we all tried to get into a dialogue with him to no avail.

Keep up the good work mate, I certainly appreciate what you do. My personal opinion is that you guys have the final say on how to run the site. If someone feels that strongly about how it should be run then they join the team.

Priceman said:
To Barjon,

To be fair I know you have your work cut out moderating and you do a good job too. However, how come the 'lose ya shirt the fastest way' or whatever it was now ;) I forget coz it went on so much without much direction.... how come that was let go on like that after endless people asking CYOF what exactly was it he wanted us to guess, or what was his point or opinion? He knew exactly what he was doing and like my deleted post stated he just wanted the hits on his thread if you ask me. we all tried to get into a dialogue with him to no avail.

Keep up the good work mate, I certainly appreciate what you do. My personal opinion is that you guys have the final say on how to run the site. If someone feels that strongly about how it should be run then they join the team.
Oh really Priceman, do you have to be so obsequious. Your fawning over the Thirty simply adds to their power trip. We must admire meritocracy not autocracy. Certainly not puerile servility.

How many times does it have to be said. Lickspittle fawning does not make for trading improvement.

When will the Mob learn to think for themselves, rather than be eunuchs of the Patriarchs.

At least CYOF has his own mind. He is not a manipulated puppet of The Thirty. You might think him 'directionless', but at least he speaks honestly and without a nod to The Thirty.

Truth ranks above servility my friend.

starspacer