Vote Conservative

Some people pay their fees via their mortgages.

That's a bit desperate isn't it ?

Lincolnshire still operates the single sex grammar school system with the 11 plus still in existence there.

The Boys and Girls schools there are excellent state schools and almost certainly achieve far better results than Eton and most public schools.

My kids finished their school education there after going to a fee paying international school when we lived overseas.

I think the Lincolnshire schools were better than the fee paying International school.

That's a bit desperate isn't it ?

Lincolnshire still operates the single sex grammar school system with the 11 plus still in existence there.

The Boys and Girls schools there are excellent state schools and almost certainly achieve far better results than Eton and most public schools.

My kids finished their school education there after going to a fee paying international school when we lived overseas.

I think the Lincolnshire schools were better than the fee paying International school.

Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly, and you have misinterpreted the above comment? I didn't mean to sound like I was criticising anyone - that is not my intention at all. And I am delighted that you were able to get your children into good grammar schools - I only wish that they were available for all pupils who would benefit from them, rather than just the small number who do.

However, the few remaining grammars are not typical of the state system as I'm sure you know. By the way, they may well produce better results than Eton and most or ideed all public schools, and I can easily believe that they are better than the international school you previously used.

It is simply the case that in many parts of the country being in the catchment area of a good school can have a significant effect on house prices. Therefore only those who can afford to live in expensive areas can attend these schools. Instead of paying school fees, they make higher mortgage payments, but the result is the same. It is selection by money rather than ability.

I would like to see a reversal of the destruction of the grammar system so that able children have a real chance in life regardless of their patrents' incomes. And before people start dribbling about the 1950s etc, the old system was not perfect, and could be improved upon (not that it was ever properly instituted in the first place - where, for example, were the technical colleges?). The new system could be less rigid than the old, and so on.

Interesting - didn't realise that about the mortgage thing.

I would like to see a reversal of the destruction of the grammar system so that able children have a real chance in life regardless of their patrents' incomes. And before people start dribbling about the 1950s etc, the old system was not perfect, and could be improved upon (not that it was ever properly instituted in the first place - where, for example, were the technical colleges?). The new system could be less rigid than the old, and so on.

Agreed

Agree up to a point, especially the bit about the technical schools and lack of full implementation. The 1944 Education Act stipulated a tripartitie system, but in many places, only 2 parts were implemented: grammars and Sec Mods.

I passed the 11 plus and got a place in what was perceived to be a good grammar school.
My older sister had had a bad 11 plus due to illness and had gone to a technical school where we used to live, but we moved when she was about 14, and she ended up at a Sec Mod as there were no technical schools where we moved to. As it happened, it wasn't a bad Sec Mod.

This is another point: not all Sec Mods were bad, but equally, not all grammar schools were particularly good. I'd say that both mine and my wife's were actually only "moderate", in objective terms, although mine did in effect help me move out of the "working class" into the "middle class" (my wife was already middle class - she married beneath her :) ).

My kids went to different, but quite good local comprehensives, and in certain ways, got a better education than I did, although not in all respects. They both actually got better A levels than I did, and both did better in their higher education than I did.

Yes, would be great to have less rigid systems, but rigidity has a way of creeping in I'm afraid. Goes with the territory. Along with authoritarianism.

Yeah it's great, CallMeDave wants to bring in schools under local parents' control, but Tories (all Tories) will only want local schools under parents' control so long as they conform to some image of schools that Tory Central Office deems appropriate. Remember, it was the Tories who brought in the National Curriculum. Did someone mention rigidity?

Yes there is also a new genre of music that has come out in Lincolnshire called "Punk Rock" and petrol is nearly £1 a gallon there as well :)

Paul

Many children of better off parents get sent to boarding schools not only for a good education but also to give the parents a much needed rest.

Just a thought, but what happens if Cameron dies or gets killed whilst in office ( or outside in the street ), does Clegg become permanent Prime Minister or does someone from the Tory ranks such as Ken Clarke take over as an unelected PM, not that PM's are elected anyway under our system.

But would Cameron's death open the door for a take-over by the Lib Dem-Cats ?

Its early days and I think they should be given a fair chance to show what they can do. After all the only alternative is not up to much as the last 13 years have proved.
:clap:

and I think we might be pleasantly surprised if Cameron and Clegg can rein in their more extremist elements

Its early days and I think they should be given a fair chance to show what they can do. After all the only alternative is not up to much as the last 13 years have proved.
:clap:

and I think we might be pleasantly surprised if Cameron and Clegg can rein in their more extremist elements

Well, they have One chance at it.....if it can't be sorted out were all fooked anyhow :LOL:

Yes there is also a new genre of music that has come out in Lincolnshire called "Punk Rock" and petrol is nearly £1 a gallon there as well

I always got free petrol there by persuading one of the local inbred rednecks to siphon it from the tanks of farm vehicles.

As well as providing me with free fuel it also satisfied their lust for alcohol.

Personally I think Teresa May and Willy Haig should swop jobs !

He has the delicate touch of a buffalo. What foreigners will make of his rather rude manner goodness only knows ?

I am surprised that Theresa May is even in the Cabinet.

I always thought of her as a complete twa*t.

Bit too lightweight for the Home Office.

First Jacqui Smith and now this idiot.

They will probably have Dame Edna Everage next. At least s(he) is titled.

Agree up to a point, especially the bit about the technical schools and lack of full implementation. The 1944 Education Act stipulated a tripartitie system, but in many places, only 2 parts were implemented: grammars and Sec Mods.

I passed the 11 plus and got a place in what was perceived to be a good grammar school.
My older sister had had a bad 11 plus due to illness and had gone to a technical school where we used to live, but we moved when she was about 14, and she ended up at a Sec Mod as there were no technical schools where we moved to. As it happened, it wasn't a bad Sec Mod.

This is another point: not all Sec Mods were bad, but equally, not all grammar schools were particularly good. I'd say that both mine and my wife's were actually only "moderate", in objective terms, although mine did in effect help me move out of the "working class" into the "middle class" (my wife was already middle class - she married beneath her :) ).

My kids went to different, but quite good local comprehensives, and in certain ways, got a better education than I did, although not in all respects. They both actually got better A levels than I did, and both did better in their higher education than I did.

Yes, would be great to have less rigid systems, but rigidity has a way of creeping in I'm afraid. Goes with the territory. Along with authoritarianism.

Yeah it's great, CallMeDave wants to bring in schools under local parents' control, but Tories (all Tories) will only want local schools under parents' control so long as they conform to some image of schools that Tory Central Office deems appropriate. Remember, it was the Tories who brought in the National Curriculum. Did someone mention rigidity?

I agree with all of this MM. It's nice to see someone who knows about the history of it, instead of the usual blinkered view you get from both sides (so to speak).

Also, your point about the Tories is spot on. Again, I'd put it down to just not knowing the history, but a lot of the things that people blame "The Left" / Labour / insert-bogeyman-of-choice for were brought in under the Tories.

The National Curriculum was possibly not an unmitigated success. And certainly rigidity will tend to creep in. It's because the politicians know best - surely you realise that :LOL:?

Although I don't rate Theresa May as Cabinet ( or any other ) material, I was gladdened to see Baroness Warsi included in the Cabinet in the role of Conservative Party Chairman.

I like this lady .... she talks sense .... and it is a good move by Dave Camcorder to have included a Muslim in his team.

Would you prefer to have a raving loony fundamentalist Wahabbi with a dish cloth on his head in the Cabinet ?

Actually, now I think about it, it might be fun.

They could recruit Captain Hook himself.

Why does the choice always have to be of the extremes lol.

Anyway maybe he could secure us a good rate on the old black stuff by partying uk with saudi to take on ahmedsdinnerjackt

Anyway, as a muslim, if she has been brought in as some kind of PC, we understand muslims move, I predict that the community will see right through it and the backlash will cause further alienation.

Also, I think the cloth headed chap you described in cabinet would provide a good bit of stereotypical comic relief :)

Last edited:
Would you prefer to have a raving loony fundamentalist Wahabbi with a dish cloth on his head in the Cabinet ?

Actually, now I think about it, it might be fun.

They could recruit Captain Hook himself.

Raving loony with a dish cloth on his head? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's like T2W Ashes to Ashes style (y)!

gene-hunt-sam-tyler.jpg

This picture is from the earlier "Life on Mars" episodes. Great program though :)

Paul

Sorry Paul, you are quite correct. I missed them on the telly first time round and have just finished watching them, so I saw Ashes to Ashes first.

I must have Ashes to Ashes on my mind as I excitedly wait for the finale tomorrow :), although I'll have to get it on the internet telly as we've got friends coming round on Friday night:cry:.