Best Prime Minister of modern times?

tomorton

Legendary member
8,403 1,338
Not an auspicious beginning for a thread like this. "Righties" have a very slanted view of history as well and must also be fought against (and would be far more likely to place Thatcher so high in the ranking).

Nobody is unbiased in a debate like this but I hope (maybe without reason) that academics from these disciplines would keep their personal subjective judgements aside even for a "fun" poll like this one.

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
The bigger worry is their influence on the next generation. Takes years to undo indoctrination.
Corbyn, failed A level student, a lost cause and now filling youngsters heads with complete tosh.

Well said.

Youth knows everything, except experience.
Youth knows enthusiasm without judgement.

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
Hot heads = civil war.........again

dbphoenix

Legendary member
6,953 1,260
Yes, he does. But then so apparently do many other world leaders, West and East. Granted many of them are incompetent, but there is value in keeping the public off-balance. And the more off-balance, the better.

Pat494

Legendary member
14,621 1,578
Yes, he does. But then so apparently do many other world leaders, West and East. Granted many of them are incompetent, but there is value in keeping the public off-balance. And the more off-balance, the better.

I really can't see what's better about keeping the public off balance except to trick them.

sminicooper

Experienced member
1,148 327
New politics at play. Not split along traditional party lines. Anything could happen !
Actually, it's more than just politics. We are in revolution territory, the evidence is clearly visible.

Brexit
Trump
Catalonia

We know that with reference to trading the "it's different this time" mantra turns out to be false but with politics I'm starting to think that it actually is different this time. Why? Largely due to the digital revolution: the old days of the voting public being fed on just a few left/right newspapers and a few (supposedly) legally-bound-to-be-unbiased TV channels have long gone. Also, the great unwashed masses are now allowed to go to university and encouraged to think for themselves. The digital age allows much greater interaction and collusion between parties on a worldwide basis (wouldn't have known about you otherwise dbPhoenix! :)). A bit of a different tale from one hundred years ago when they were told to go and join up for war because that's what those who knew best said was the right thing to do.

It's no wonder that politics no longer conveniently split along conventional left/right lines. We still have of course the old problem of youth's inexperience and enthusiasm but even that's different now because they are learning how to wield their inexperience and enthusiasm effectively. This could have far reaching results once inexperience gets its hand on the tiller; one effective antidote might be a restriction on democracy (e.g. raise, not lower the voting age) but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have a satisfactory or happy outcome and anyway it isn't gonna happen.

As far as I'm concerned we are living in interesting (when were they not interesting?) but very uncertain times. Basic human tribal instincts will now come to the fore with effect and in the UK at least, there is some prospect of the thousand years of Democratic capital we have built up being eroded.

I think it may well be different this time.

Last edited:

Pat494

Legendary member
14,621 1,578

Incompetence is bad enough but this strutting one's country's latest weapons competition could be disastrous.
I would hope that they would use their power and influence to clean up the planet for instance.

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
That's the point. "Trickle-down economics" is an excellent example.

Aha ! So who put the trick in trickle :LOL: ?
The wicked capitalists? :LOL:

The self righteousness and "intellectual" arrogance of the left who always know better than the masses they purport to represent continues to beggar belief.

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
Self-appointed political elites of whichever extreme always put self interest and power first.

counter_violent

Legendary member
11,267 3,005
Aha ! So who put the trick in trickle :LOL: ?
The wicked capitalists? :LOL:

The self righteousness and "intellectual" arrogance of the left who always know better than the masses they purport to represent continues to beggar belief.

They are not all lefties either. This bloke should be sacked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock