Trading journals: general discussion

Do you have a trading journal?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

J_C_Anderson

As you may know, trading journal could be very useful to analyse your trading performance since it allows to summarize all the information and find mistakes. At the same time, it takes a lot of time to write down all necessary things. So, please, advise me on following issues:
1. To you find trading journals useful or it is just a waste of time?
2. What do you write down in your trading journal? Do you add something like general fundamental backgound and your personal attitude, or only the data related to trades?
3. Do you use any automated solutions to generate trading log or just MS Excel sheet?

Let`s discuss all important matters concerning trading journals here to share the ideas

I think having a trading journals is very useful when you a beginer, but can be a waste of time when you already have some years of trading in your backgroung

As you may know, trading journal could be very useful to analyse your trading performance since it allows to summarize all the information and find mistakes. At the same time, it takes a lot of time to write down all necessary things. So, please, advise me on following issues:
1. To you find trading journals useful or it is just a waste of time?
2. What do you write down in your trading journal? Do you add something like general fundamental backgound and your personal attitude, or only the data related to trades?
3. Do you use any automated solutions to generate trading log or just MS Excel sheet?

Let`s discuss all important matters concerning trading journals here to share the ideas
I made an Excel Sheet to collect my trades and comment on them. However, as you said, I think the main point is to "summarize" frequent mistakes and to know what to work on.
I see that your post is quite old, but if you're still interested, I am happy to share ideas about how to write a TJ and know about your experience.

Yea i just fired mine up again as was told that having one is soo important by a mentor.

Not too analytical with entries, exits etc etc.. But i just want to make sure that..
1) I had a plan
2)I followed that plan
3) I didn't risk more than 2%

You can't judge your performance without those 3 pieces of information

Yea i just fired mine up again as was told that having one is soo important by a mentor.

Not too analytical with entries, exits etc etc.. But i just want to make sure that..
1) I had a plan
2)I followed that plan
3) I didn't risk more than 2%

You can't judge your performance without those 3 pieces of information
I am also following same goals by my journal; And I'm thinking to add a part for skipped entry opportunities for whatever reason (e.g. loss aversion, technical misjudgment). Here I attach my journal with a sample day; I appreciate if you've any idea to consider.

Attachments

• Trading Journal.xlsx
    24.1 KB · Views: 202