Trading ES (Q1 2004)

For what its worth - (I'm a novice lurker ) If it breaks the 61.8 % retracement, Im watching 1122.25 level to provide support, or not, a 1-1 of prior wave down.

RR

aha just seen CW post - beat me to it -told you I was new to this.

welcome mate - good nick btw :) so tell me which side u'd be on the rubicon river - Ceasar or Pompeus? :)

I think voo wud call 1148ish now from his 1-4 wolfenwaves. I am not a waver :D but this time this level makes loads of sense to me:

Attachments

• cme-es04h- 2 minute.jpg
    cme-es04h- 2 minute.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 345
thanks Fin

This is fun, glad I'm only paper trading. 3 Day swing down Russian PM gets the tin tack, Consumer confidence down and we get a rally.

CW - more of a Caesar supporter than Pompey myself. Trading is my RiverRubicon and the die is cast and I'm gonna have a go.

U trade russian equities mate? u must've made it out like a bandit last yr - RTSI was up 85% or so :) did u trade YUKOS during that turmoil?

ok lads/lasses - very quickly - I cant commit to typing when i am hearing samba all over the town :)

once again - I DID NOT TRADE TODAY - so this is a speculation

believe it or not it is an easy win of 20+ pts offered by Her Majesty The Market B*tch today :) early tick pos div gets u long at 35ish, at 44ish u get a tick neg div on a NO-TREND day (the reason why it shot up above UP is secondary crosses pos div across indices) > rev to short there, then comfortably cover (or reverse to long) at LP.

"Isso!" as they say in Brasil :)

Price and volume

Todays ES by just looking a price and volume. The Tick gives a great insight when to jump on and off the merry go round.

Attachments

• dow 5min239.png
    dow 5min239.png
    157.4 KB · Views: 264
I shall now illustrate how a decent trading system can be reduced to rubble by a complete amateur :

Attachments

• tick24feb.jpg
    tick24feb.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 216
1st Sin : Did the school run and missed the first 45 mins,
then short at the ND, decent entry, but spooked out by the 1st white candle, thinking this could be 1 of Skim's 5 waves up.

Then long at 1st sign of a PD, which with hindsight was part of a better PD in the making, but stopped out by the white hammer.

After this blow to the ego didn't re - enter the market, despite loads of decent Tick divs, all of which could of yielded points.
Anyway @ £1 per point SB'ing plenty of things learned for less than the cost of a night in the pub!

Nite all, hampy

Attachments

• es24feb.jpg
    es24feb.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 235
We are all amatuers

Hamps

What I found is that once I anchored the tick against the what is happening with price and volume, everything else fell into place.

My chart is similar to yours.

Attachments

• dow 5min240.png
    dow 5min240.png
    67 KB · Views: 261
Hamps

You traded at 11.40 EST. Maybe it would have been better to go long at the 12EST reversal time phase.

I am also looking at the MACD of ES. The time you entered, the momentum was still negative as both signal lines were pointing south and the fast signal was layered below the slow one.

Hamps, try this

Hamps

How about using trend line breaks in Tick in conjuction with fast MACD breaking slow MACD as your filter.

Attachments

• dow 5min241.png
    dow 5min241.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 272
Thx SLP, Good point about MACD of ES.
I assume that as I already have MACD 5,35,10 in my software if I select overlay the fast + slow lines will appear as on your chart.
Also hadn't considered the time of day, something else to remember!
Despite yesterday's small loss ( 1.7 pts ) it was the first time I had watched TICK + ES together in real time with decent charts,
and I made some decent paper calls later in the day.
Looking forward to this afternoon, talk later
hampy

Good to see this thread up and running again, I've been off messing about with Tradestation the last month or so (not much progress on development of the holy grail so far, I have to admit - but I'll let you know if I find it!).

Andy, it's interesting to see your use of trend lines on the Tick - do you think these breaks are tradeable? What other factors would you consider for an entry?

Hamp - keep at it mate, you'll get there. Maybe try a week or 2 on paper only though till you build confidence in yr strategy?

or hamp - trade 1/10th of the size u wud NORMALLY trade for a cupl of weeks. I know u'll be getting this feeling it's a bloody joke :) - but the advantage of doing so (compared to paper trades) is that U R in the mrkt - so u get used to its stress and joy! :) gd lk m8