Day trading the DOW 28/04/03

Whatever it was, someone was in the know! Great follow on today. No point in doing the boring stuf..... The open was a huge dive, and some great target tracking to maximise profits, all targets being met until the final bottom. I warned in the chat room that opening PD's are really too unreliable to trust, taking a long time to deliver AND with unpredictability... Today took an hour to resolve with no clear cut peaks. In fact , the divergence didn't show at all in RSI, which is usually the indicator that I use. This time, it showed only on CCI.....The bottom clue had to be the failure of the 4th leg down and short term significant divergence from 15:20 to 15:30 in RSI. Final short cover should have been at 8360 as the "W" broke the middle leg. I suppose that after such a drop, one could safely flip the short.... instead of waiting for a 100 MA break. RSI at 11? how low could it go?
Follow the long into the 100mA and the first sign of a real target was the pullback just before 19:00. Note the RS switch in the uptrend resistance line was broken just prior to this, so we'd expect a pullback.That target got met, and then we were into a 3 pk ND top straight away. You got 1 extra chance to get out on the 4th peak at 8470! If you played it by the book and flipped the long on the third peak, you'd have made a few extra worthwhile points. A hint of 3 pk PD for the close but too fine to be worth a call. Exit at around 8450 by the time you decide it's not going lower..... Good for 200 points today.

Attachments

• dow 01-05-03 1 mina.gif
    dow 01-05-03 1 mina.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 353
After all that, we're still firmly in an up trending channel. Clearly , for now, the selloffs are being met with equal enthusiasm from the Bulls. That bear triangle failed to deliver the target of 8320....
That move gives the DOW a 5% rise over the last month. I heard the FTSE made 8%....

Attachments

• dow 01-05-03 10 mina.gif
    dow 01-05-03 10 mina.gif
    28.5 KB · Views: 334
Don't know how much can be read into today's market action. As we know the Globex system had a shutdown. This may have resulted in a halt the decline today.

Still couldn't bring myself to take advantage of those early pullbacks.

Just out of interest, I had the bottom 'W' logged as an inverse head and shoulders which made target at 8375. Seemed to work, but was my interpretation flawed?

Best Regards,
Neil

No, not flawed. Everyone's interpretation of TA is different. Some see things that other's just can't. Yes, you could see that as an Inv H&S. The flaw is the target, if anything. I make it 8360 tops, but then I use my own rules for targets, as oppsed to the text book rules... Anything less than a 20 point target is really not worth considering on H&S's. In this case it's 10 points.
At the time, the "W" bottom looked promising. As it turned out, there was a long wait for any further action. You don't know that at the time though.

Attachments

• inv h&s.gif
    inv h&s.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 335
Nice easy day today, again. :cheesy:
Mini divergent bottom at the open for a gamble long and away. First target met T1.
Sitting and holding above the 100MA was probably the lesser of two evils- not enough room to go short except for the scalpers- not that you would have known that at the time. Take your cue from the value of CCI,... >100
Next up the triangle. This initially failed to make T2, and dropped quite a bit. Again, here was a short opportunity, as CCI and RSI were both topped out AND the price failed to meet target. Correct choice. By 16:30 and 8550, you should have covered for a small loss....
Flipping here would have been an impulse trade. If I had made the error, I would have sat back and looked for the next "safe" entry.....
Not long to wait as the triangle broke to the downside with T3 target that failed. So here was a possible long entry to get back on route. That would have only got you 20 odd points unless you got out on the short 3pk ND top ( only 20 mins).
DOW 130 odd points up on the day, and around 150 with a good entry was about as much as one could expect.

Attachments

• dow 02-05-03 1 mina.gif
    dow 02-05-03 1 mina.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 280