The UK May 2015 General Election

Pat494

Legendary member
Only a few weeks away when we will all be asked to vote for a political party !
The two old established parties are mainly fighting each other. Will this let through one of the smaller parties ? Perhaps not into a overall winning position but good enough to be wooed into a coalition. Talking of coalitions the Lib Dems might advise against it after their dismal showing. Personally I think they have done quite well restraining the Tories from over doing the austerity on the poor bit.

Last edited:
I remember the effect on the currency markets of the last one on election day in 2010

GU moved about 600 pips - and GJ about 1000 pips - all because of the hung parliament outcome predicted.

At least a coalition keeps them more on the straight and narrow - but saying that politicians and straight and narrow can never happen in the real world lol

I remember the effect on the currency markets of the last one on election day in 2010

GU moved about 600 pips - and GJ about 1000 pips - all because of the hung parliament outcome predicted.

At least a coalition keeps them more on the straight and narrow - but saying that politicians and straight and narrow can never happen in the real world lol

These elections really bring out the fundamentals as you so rightly point out and therefore must be taken into account for us traders imho.

Last edited:
Will the now ever more savvy electorate make historic changes in May ? We shall have to wait and see.
I think the Tories have done well for the country financially after Labour's usual ****-up but many are suffering at the bottom of the heap, some say unduly. Labour's Mansion Tax is ridiculous rubbish from Ed Balls-up and would ruin Britain's architectural heritage as mansions are pulled down. I would exempt the listed buildings from the Wealth Tax.
Basic state pensions are miserably small while the rich get ever richer. Why give state pensions to the rich as it amounts to small change to them ? The gap is ever bigger, even in the Blair years it got too big. An annual wealth tax at 10% on the second million plus would do wonders for redressing the balance and still leave the rich very comfortable.

Yes a lot needs doing and one can't trust the Tories to put such taxes on themselves.

Last edited:
I see that clot Cameron is trying to play Putin's 19th century imperialist game by sending advisors to Ukraine. Mission creep and an escalation I regret to say. Will it buy him votes ? Almost certainly NOT. Most people are not in favour of a major European war.
He should work with his allies and not go out on his own. The allies may drop him in it and cause him a major embarrassment if he has to withdraw his threats. Talk about the mouse roaring !!

The Russian bear is wounded and will feel like striking back imho

Back them into a desperate corner and watch out clot in no 10.

Last edited:
Do you really think he went there without consulting his European and US allies because if you did you are naive?

Do you really think he went there without consulting his European and US allies because if you did you are naive?

To be fair I haven't yet read anything in the news about this event, however my 2 pence.

The PM doesn't need to consult the other heads of state on *everything*; for instance Cameron was well ahead of the crowd calling for Libya airstrikes against Gaddafi whilst the rest of Europe was shuffling their feet and not wanting to get involved.

And as for being naive, I'm pretty sure that NATO have a clandestine unit or 3 already inside Ukraine right now sizing up the situation on the ground. Announcing that some advisors are being sent is purely for the electorate, so that when they get killed or arrested the PM has some wiggle room.

Who wasn't invited to discuss the Ukraine in Moscow ?
Who wasn't on the Charlie march ?
Who had only 1 other member on his side in a recent European issue ?
I hope you are right but fear he is a lone wolf not a group member type.
Apparently Obama finds him patronising.

The man is a fool and doesn't know it. He should be making de-escalation noises not ramping it up on his own imho. The 2 aircraft carriers as far as I know are not even operational for a conventional war. The locals had a fair democratic vote and that should have been that. But no he has to stir it up.

A bit of a Charge of The Light Brigade type with um er nobody else in sight.

And who OK'ed little Willy Haigue to parachute into Lybia those guys that got captured ? Lucky they weren't shot.

Last edited:
The Libya situation was entirely different as there was no coalition with vested interests but that is totally different to what is happening in the Ukraine. The idea that any one of the coalition partners would unilaterally do something like this without consulting their partners even if it was in a broad sense would be contrary to common political protocols and very risky.

Who wasn't invited to discuss the Ukraine in Moscow ?
Who wasn't on the Charlie march ?
Who had only 1 other member on his side in a recent European issue ?
I hope you are right but fear he is a lone wolf not a group member type.
Apparently Obama finds him patronising.

The man is a fool and doesn't know it. He should be making de-escalation noises not ramping it up on his own imho. The 2 aircraft carriers as far as I know are not even operational for a conventional war. The locals had a fair democratic vote and that should have been that. But no he has to stir it up.

A bit of a Charge of The Light Brigade type with um er nobody else in sight.

Dont know what you have been reading Pat - would have to disagree with all your points regarding Cameron

He's not top of my list - but he is head and shoulders over most Politicians and other Heads of states - even Obama and Angela Merkal - trouble is - he might be too smart for his good

Also he was on the charlie march ?? and Obama gets on with him extremely well

Shows how we all read different rubbish in the world's media - depending on the slant of the media's view

A Bit like all the rubbish we hear from Bankers and the Finance Industry ;-)

Regards

F

Dont know what you have been reading Pat - would have to disagree with all your points regarding Cameron

He's not top of my list - but he is head and shoulders over most Politicians and other Heads of states - even Obama and Angela Merkal - trouble is - he might be too smart for his good

Also he was on the charlie march ?? and Obama gets on with him extremely well

Shows how we all read different rubbish in the world's media - depending on the slant of the media's view

A Bit like all the rubbish we hear from Bankers and the Finance Industry ;-)

Regards

F

I guess you are probably a Telegraph reader F ?
All's well in the Tory meadow at the mo.
:)

Should haul him back from the parapet before he jumps, taking the rest of us with him, thinking he can fly.
Typical Old Etonian. Known some and even got one in the family ! Yikes.

:p

I guess you are probably a Telegraph reader F ?
All's well in the Tory meadow at the mo.
:)

Was asked to stand as Tory MP about 22 yrs ago - but have voted Labour once since then

No Tory boy - but God knows what would have happened if Labour had been in power last 5 years - with no money in the kitty.

Tory and Labour are both as bad as each other in my world - but having been a businessman and entrepreneur all my life - got no time for too much state interference and ending up like Greece.

Times and Sun reader most of the time - both for their sports pages ;-)- although will miss Page 3

Cameron, Osborne and Boris - the magnificent three :)

v

The twin-Eds and Harman - nightmare scenario (n)

v

The rest;
UKIP (know-it-all dossers - should travel more),
Libs (losers - can't be trusted) and the
GREEN Party (best of the crop imo)​

Going to be a jolly good show... :clap:

Last edited:

Oh dear, do you also drive one of these with a sticker on saying

"Nuclear Power - No Thanks"

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 137
Oh dear, do you also drive one of these with a sticker on saying

"Nuclear Power - No Thanks"

Nope - my car has one of these stickers on it.

IAM%20logo%20(Bike).JPG

Although I prefer to cycle and usually only use the car for family when required. :cool:

You are right out of a comic book as they say. Soooo predictable eh? :cheesy:

Cameron, Osborne and Boris - the magnificent three :)

v

The twin-Eds and Harman - nightmare scenario (n)

v

The rest;
UKIP (know-it-all dossers - should travel more),
Libs (losers - can't be trusted) and the

Going to be a jolly good show... :clap:

Well, yeah, the Greens are worth voting for :LOL: Completely incompetent.