The Holy Grail. Fact, or Fiction.

Mr Fox

Established member
Deep down in my opinion, everyone who gets into trading sooner, or later does think about the "Holy Grail", and some people give it a thought, and dismiss it, while others actively look for it, to the point where staring at charts for hours just makes them see things that possibly aren't there, and when these things are tried live, they may work a few times before things go belly-up in spectacular fashion.

I must admit I have gave this topic more than my fair share of time, and energy, and after a few wins, then a few losses which always came when I decided to go in heavier,lol. I decided yes the Holy Grail exists, and that is that there is no Holy Grail, and the sooner one relise's this, the sooner a person stops looking for it.

(y)

So what is your perfect holy grail for you if it were to exist.

. . . I decided yes the Holy Grail exists, and that is that there is no Holy Grail, . . .
:confused:
Sorry Mr Fox, I'm a tad confused! Are you saying that you think there is a holy grail or that there isn't one? Or both!

Well, as ever, it boils down to how one defines 'holy grail' IMO. My guess is that to many people - especially newbies - this means some magic formula that's simple to apply and takes profit out of the market day after day for little or no risk and even less effort. By that definition, no - there is no holy grail.

However, the holy grail for anyone that's been in the markets a few years and is prepared for the long haul, is to find a methodology that suits them that has an edge that generates consistent profits over the medium to long term. By that definition, I imagine most people would say there is a holy grail of sorts - if only for two obvious reasons:
1. There are people doing just this already, and . . .
2. If we don't believe that this is achievable, then we'd best knock the idea of being traders on the head and try our hands at something completely different.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Tim.

As above, So below - Hermes Trismegistus.

I wonder if the Holy Grail is synonymous with the Philosophers Stone?
Superficially, it's about turning lead into gold, but philosophically, it's about refining ones own inner world.

Maybe the Holy Grail is a means by which we find an external methodology which is in keeping with our own principles and views, and equally about, through learning and experience, acquiring deeper and more sophisticated insights, that lead us to a better understanding of what is out there, and thus what can be achieved.

Or maybe not.

As above, So below - Hermes Trismegistus.

I wonder if the Holy Grail is synonymous with the Philosophers Stone?
Superficially, it's about turning lead into gold, but philosophically, it's about refining ones own inner world.

Maybe the Holy Grail is a means by which we find an external methodology which is in keeping with our own principles and views, and equally about, through learning and experience, acquiring deeper and more sophisticated insights, that lead us to a better understanding of what is out there, and thus what can be achieved.

Or maybe not.

Very good point Trendie.

Deep down in my opinion, everyone who gets into trading sooner, or later does think about the "Holy Grail", and some people give it a thought, and dismiss it, while others actively look for it, to the point where staring at charts for hours just makes them see things that possibly aren't there, and when these things are tried live, they may work a few times before things go belly-up in spectacular fashion.

I must admit I have gave this topic more than my fair share of time, and energy, and after a few wins, then a few losses which always came when I decided to go in heavier,lol. I decided yes the Holy Grail exists, and that is that there is no Holy Grail, and the sooner one relise's this, the sooner a person stops looking for it.

(y)

I think most people believe that a holy grail is something that gives them a daily profit. Were they to shift their opinion that instead it gives them a profit on a majority of days and thus the vast majority of weeks (and is still therefore a 'holy grail' of profit), then there would be more success stories in the retail game. Unfortunately the focus is still on making daily profits, often within the first few hours of the open because those sort of dreams are easier to sell.

Sooner or later we do think of the holy grail but actually there is no existence of such a thing.

If anyone finds the HG of trading then it will be the end of financial markets when this is known. They will soon own most of the world's financial assets. So lets hope that time is not upon us for a while yet.
I imagine with super computers they can already forecast up into the 80% correct levels !!

The Holy Grail of trading is just a system that wins 90% or more of the time

do i know what it is - well i might, but i've taken the vow

you could try www.HolyGrail.com

(y)

I also strongly believe in the fact that, there is a Holy Grail for everything under the Sun. Only few find them and run with it. Find it in trading and join the few winners. Consistent winners have found the Holy Grail, whatever Edge they have, lets call that the Holy Grail.

"Holy Grail"?

Nothing to do with trading.

The Holy Grail is a dish, plate, stone, or cup that is part of an important theme of Arthurian literature. A grail, wondrous but not explicitly "holy," first appears in Perceval le Gallois, an unfinished romance by Chrétien de Troyes:[1] it is a processional salver used to serve at a feast. Chrétien's story attracted many continuators, translators and interpreters in the later 12th and early 13th centuries, including Wolfram von Eschenbach, who makes the grail a great precious stone that fell from the sky. The Grail legend became interwoven with legends of the Holy Chalice.[2] The connection with Joseph of Arimathea and with vessels associated with the Last Supper and crucifixion of Jesus, dates from Robert de Boron's Joseph d'Arimathie (late 12th century) in which Joseph receives the Grail from an apparition of Jesus and sends it with his followers to Great Britain. Building upon this theme, later writers recounted how Joseph used the Grail to catch Christ's blood while interring him and how he founded a line of guardians to keep it safe in Britain. The legend may combine Christian lore with a Celtic myth of a cauldron endowed with special powers. (from Wiki)

So there....

I'm a bit late to this thread by my less than literal view is;
My Holy Grail is to be able to maximise my profits and minimise my losses.
If you trade with the trend and set you stop loss to less than your profit margin you can make money.
Even with a 50:50 win loss ration you will make money, plus your 'edge' is the trend.
It's not glamorous, its not sexy, its a slow monotonous process akin to working 9 - 5. The benefit is you are your own boss (unless your married :LOL:).
Plus your going to need a lot of capital to trade with and to tied you over until you can follow the plan. It sounds easy but it isn't....
Oh and if you can have fun doing it - that's a bonus too.

If there is a question within yourself about whether or not you can make it as a trader and you need a quick answer, try futures. My holy grail is a steady income from trading.

Cheers

I do not think that there are such holy grails and thus traders should not fall prey for such scam programs.

There is a holy grail!

It is called a live broadcast of the ECB meeting, 'strong vigilance', a quick finger and 1000 (or more) lots in ze Bund.

"Holy Grail"?

Nothing to do with trading.

The Holy Grail is a dish, plate, stone, or cup that is part of an important theme of Arthurian literature. A grail, wondrous but not explicitly "holy," first appears in Perceval le Gallois, an unfinished romance by Chrétien de Troyes:[1] it is a processional salver used to serve at a feast. Chrétien's story attracted many continuators, translators and interpreters in the later 12th and early 13th centuries, including Wolfram von Eschenbach, who makes the grail a great precious stone that fell from the sky. The Grail legend became interwoven with legends of the Holy Chalice.[2] The connection with Joseph of Arimathea and with vessels associated with the Last Supper and crucifixion of Jesus, dates from Robert de Boron's Joseph d'Arimathie (late 12th century) in which Joseph receives the Grail from an apparition of Jesus and sends it with his followers to Great Britain. Building upon this theme, later writers recounted how Joseph used the Grail to catch Christ's blood while interring him and how he founded a line of guardians to keep it safe in Britain. The legend may combine Christian lore with a Celtic myth of a cauldron endowed with special powers. (from Wiki)

So there....
That's certainly on topic if delightfully off kilter.

There has also been a suggestion that the French from which this was originally derived "Saint Graal" was possibly a corruption of "Sang Real" or royal bloodline: The vessel for this precious liquid being the living ancestor(s) of [that] line rather than the cup or chalice associated with the currently extent folklore.

I know I should take all of this with a pinch of salt, but I can't help thinking that before we start discounting the existence of fairies and fairy stories which can be neither validated nor debunked, we should apply that same decision making process to the existence of dark matter for which we are all assured by the scientific community really does exist even if it can't be detected or proven.

Last edited:
the Holy Grail of anything and for anything in life is within you ..........its the journey and not the destination that is the true Grail ........thats the twist

you can ask anyone that has achieved it ........but beware as they probably will not answer you :)

N