Sticky T2W Website Updates (New Features/Bug Fixes/Server Problems)

@Sharky have you changed the way the thread views is displayed? I used to easily be able to get the exact views count rather than rounded to the SI prefix.

Sorry new_trader somehow overlooked your earlier question. You’re right we upgraded the forum and the modification we made was lost. There’s a big upgrade coming shortly, I’ll wait for that before applying the mod again.

Hi @Sharky
Nice to meet you!
Is this XenForo?
Which engine were you using before?
I see that you are online since 2001, congrats! :)

Hey CavaliereVerde, welcome to T2W. It is indeed Xenforo, and imho the best forum software available today. We were on vbulletin before that. Yes, 2001 I set up the forum, I think only EliteTrader is older than us and still going. Seen it all over the years!

Sorry new_trader somehow overlooked your earlier question. You’re right we upgraded the forum and the modification we made was lost. There’s a big upgrade coming shortly, I’ll wait for that before applying the mod again.

Hey CavaliereVerde, welcome to T2W. It is indeed Xenforo, and imho the best forum software available today. We were on vbulletin before that. Yes, 2001 I set up the forum, I think only EliteTrader is older than us and still going. Seen it all over the years!
I agree it is better than vbulletin but we come from discourse and IMO that is ieven better... ;)

I agree it is better than vbulletin but we come from discourse and IMO that is ieven better... ;)

Discourse is great, I’ve used it for another business and liked it a lot. It feels modern, lightweight and they have a great hosted solution. But for flexibility, power and extensibility I think Xenforo has the edge. The founder is one of the original developers from vbulletin and you can tell by their attention to detail it continues as a labour of love for him.

FYI I've disabled the Similar Threads at the bottom of every thread for now. We've had a few outages in the past 24 hours and I suspect this add-on might be causing it, the new version of Xenforo, that's almost ready for release, has it baked in, meaning it won't suffer from any potential performance issues.

Also disabled the events/calendar section, for the same reasons, there aren't as many events these days for obvious reasons, only webinars - so should be greatly missed. I'll re-enable if the outages stop to narrow down the cause.

Just a heads-up that I'm aware of the short outages we've been having and hope to get to the bottom of them shortly 🤓

In the mean time please bear with us, thanks!

Quick update, still investigating the daily outages, I've increased disk space on the server and updated various plugins, but we still had a 30 min outage during the night. I suspect we're running out of memory, the server runs on a standard google cloud compute engine with 7.5 gigs which should be enough for the level of traffic we have. One option will be increase this if we get another outage (I can only do by stopping the server), and I've just now started directing traffic via CloudFlare, which should give me more visibility on traffic spikes to the site which might causing it - we've dealt with similar DDOS attacks in the past (at this stage I've got no reason to believe it's that, although I'm not ruling it out either).

Yeah :(

You can guess when I woke up then - been down since 3am by the looks of it (UK time).

I took the opportunity whilst it was down to beef up the server, traffic on cloudflare looks normal. But I've got a hunch it's something to do with ElasticSearch which we use for Xenforo Search, will investigate further today.

Last edited:
Yeah :(

You can guess when I woke up then - been down since 3am by the looks of it (UK time).

I took the opportunity whilst it was down to beef up the server, traffic on cloudflare looks normal. But I've got a hunch it's something to do with ElasticSearch which we use for Xenforo Search, will investigate further today.

it could be

1) a memory leak
2) unhandled exception
3) an unknown limit on some resource utilisation

what do the logs show?

Great stuff.. look into those cloud optimisations in the design and you might save yourself some dosh while ensuring search never brings down the site.

Just a heads-up that I'll be taking the website down tonight in order to upgrade to the latest version of Xenforo, the forum software we use. I plan on taking it down at 10pm UK time, and I anticipate we'll back online before 11pm.