Sticky T2W Website Updates (New Features/Bug Fixes/Server Problems)

Once you've marked all posts as read, anytime you click on the thread title it takes you automatically to the newest post.

I see how this works from the unread list now, the functionality is built into the thread title now (it seems to work) (y)

It doesn't work as you've described when the thread is marked as read and you click on the title, it goes to the beginning of the thread.

I think have an answer now though, cheers :)

That link only shows up when there's a new post to view on a thread, if you've already viewed all posts on the thread, it disappears.

I see how this works from the unread list now, the functionality is built into the thread title now (it seems to work) (y)

It doesn't work as you've described when the thread is marked as read and you click on the title, it goes to the beginning of the thread.

I think have an answer now though, cheers :)

That's correct, if you've read all posts on the thread already, then it takes you to the first post. I assume it's because you mark all forums read, but may look at some old threads, so it assumes you want to read it from the start. But at the same time you might want to go back to a thread you've read to reply to the latest post. In that case you can still click the last page number that appears under the title of the thread, OR you can click the date of the last post for a thread, if you're view a list of threads within a forum. Perhaps we can develop a little icon next to the thread title, that always takes you to the last post, there is an in-built way to always go to the latest post on a thread by adding /latest to the thread url, eg. https://www.trade2win.com/threads/t...atures-bug-fixes-server-problems.25316/latest

As for ignorning threads, there's no baked in support for this, but you can ignore other members here: https://www.trade2win.com/account/ignored which for most people should suffice. There's also the ability to ignore forums, that I can set up, so they don't appear in the New Posts. We do that already for the Daily Market Analysis forum, as we did on the old site.

I hope you'll give this another look when the dust settles. This isn't a chronic problem but there are occasions when one would like to ignore a thread without necessarily ignoring the member who initiated it. OTOH, if a fix would be a lot of work, then don't bother with it.

Db

I hope you'll give this another look when the dust settles. This isn't a chronic problem but there are occasions when one would like to ignore a thread without necessarily ignoring the member who initiated it. OTOH, if a fix would be a lot of work, then don't bother with it.

Db

Sure Db, I've now set this up so members can easily ignore both forums and threads. See attached to get a better idea..

Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 14.44.29.png
Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 14.44.47.png
Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 14.45.16.png
Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 14.46.56.png

Note that latest posts in the side bar of the home page will still show the ignored content as it's not tailored specifically to the member, it's just the latest posts.

hi Sharky,

The search function doesnt give results in any obvious order.

I was using the Search function (top of page, on the right), and entered "Grid" and selected "Titles Only".
I was expecting results to be in descending date order, at least. (latest to oldest)
Otherwise its a random walk, not knowing where the correct thread is likely to be.

Can you confirm this? If so, can this be fixed? Ta, muchly.

Erm....
If I use the "Advanced" option, I can sort by Date. (default is Relevance)
Not sure how relevance is calculated, but I would have thought Date should be default in the non-advanced version.
Anyway, not as big a problem as it was about 37 seconds ago.

So, I think you answered your own question. The way it's set up currently is on relevance, it just means that you can search back across the entire history of the site and get the content that most closely matches it.

Of course we could change it to default to date, or we could add bias/weighting to more recent content, but my guess (I could be wrong of course!) is that we have a lot of amazing content that's not so recent, which would otherwise easily get missed.

Perhaps if everyone can have a play around with the different options available on the advanced search here: https://www.trade2win.com/search/ and then decide what really makes sense, I'm happy to switch things around.

As you probably noticed the site was down for about 4.5 hours. We're now back up and running. The server we're on ran out of space, which is a problem entirely preventable. I'll be adding better monitoring and improving how we handle the rotation of logs and backups which is basically what consumed all the space.

Unfortunately we had another downtime this morning, disappointingly caused by more disk space problems. Sorry for the disruption, I'll make sure there aren't further problems.

Unfortunately we had another downtime this morning, disappointingly caused by more disk space problems. Sorry for the disruption, I'll make sure there aren't further problems.

no worries - i copied across my usual updates from the other places that I blog/post .....(I normally start mornings at T2win though ;) )

these things happen !

Well done getting back on-line.
Curiously, last night, I watched a short youtube about how technology is now so sophisticated and beyond our ability to fix it personally, it may be a cause for concern. (existential threat) Enjoy ....

Phew! I was afraid as I seemed to be the last person to post this am before the shut-down that I had broken the interweb.

Just a heads-up, the new version of the forum software we now use (Xenforo) has just been released and we'll be upgrading shortly, probably next week. The major features include:
  • Native push notifications on supported devices/browsers
  • Editor button management
  • Enhanced editor integration and advanced BB code option syntax
  • Markdown support
  • Tables
  • Reactions
  • URL unfurling
  • Emoji enhancements including an improved smilie menu with easy emoji access
  • Video uploads
  • Approval queue improvements
  • Guest performance improvements including guest page caching
  • Content bookmarking and sharing
  • A fully featured REST API
  • One click XenForo upgrades and easier add-on installation
  • BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments

^ reminder of some of the enhancements rolling out in tonight's Friday's update.

Last edited:
I'm planning on adding a new tools section to the site as a way to help me learn Python (you've been following my journal, right?!). Think trading calculators, that sort of thing. I'm wondering what to start with (simple?) and whether there are any online (or offline) tools/calculators that people use regularly (or infrequently) that would be good to include?