Sticky T2W Website Updates (New Features/Bug Fixes/Server Problems)

Just a heads-up, the new version of the forum software we now use (Xenforo) has just been released and we'll be upgrading shortly, probably next week. The major features include:
  • Native push notifications on supported devices/browsers
  • Editor button management
  • Enhanced editor integration and advanced BB code option syntax
  • Markdown support
  • Tables
  • Reactions
  • URL unfurling
  • Emoji enhancements including an improved smilie menu with easy emoji access
  • Video uploads
  • Approval queue improvements
  • Guest performance improvements including guest page caching
  • Content bookmarking and sharing
  • A fully featured REST API
  • One click XenForo upgrades and easier add-on installation
  • BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments

Well it took longer than planned, but we're finally rolling out the new version tomorrow night. I'll post a separate thread shortly about it.

Hi Sharky

If I am understanding correctly after the last website update, the view count of a thread is now rounded to the nearest 1000. Is this correct.? When we were able to see the actual view count we could see the interest or otherwise in the thread by the increase in the view count. This is no longer possible.

gka

Hi Sharky

If I am understanding correctly after the last website update, the view count of a thread is now rounded to the nearest 1000. Is this correct.? When we were able to see the actual view count we could see the interest or otherwise in the thread by the increase in the view count. This is no longer possible.

gka

All fixed now, back to the way it was.

In case you're wondering if the @T2W Bot has a screw loose, and created a bunch of article threads, no, we basically had an issue which was that when we created a new article a corresponding thread wasn't being created. We've just fixed that, so now we're generating the comment threads for those articles missing them.

Probably just me, but the T2W messaging is rather pants.

Messaging appears like a thread.
You cant copy someone into a message.
There is an "Invite more" button, but you cant "uninvite" anyone.
(context: I needed info from a mod to do something. Said mod recommended asking Sharky. I invited Sharky, but the mod is probably getting alerts to this message, even though he is no longer involved in the convo, due to lack of "uninvite" button.

I am probably fixed in my fuddy-duddy ways or something, but is this what the hipster-youths are now used to?
I preferred the bog-standard email-style messaging.

Also, I had reason to log onto T2W from my phone over weekend. I then had a tortuous path to logout.
Can there be a clear logout button at top-frame?
Puts me off logging on via my phone.

thanks

Thanks for the feedback @trendie, sorry for the delay in replying, I was away on holiday last week.

So I checked just now and you're right there are limitations. If you create the conversation then you can invite others at any points, and there's a setting also that you can allow others to invite; but invitees can't then be removed, they can only leave themselves. I guess this works fine for the majority of use cases, so they left it at that. I guess if you want something more sophisticated then a private forum would probably be a better choice. The conversation style, rather than the email style, does seem to be the way the world is going, first facebook, then whatsapp, and it does have it's advantages (and downsides as you pointed out).

As for the log-out, and tried it myself and you're right it's not exactly straightforward to find (in case you're wondering, you need to tap the menu icon top left corner, then the person icon, then it's a the bottom (log out). I'll see if there's an easy way to add that person icon to the header, to save a step.

@trendie I managed to update it so that the mobile version works just like the desktop version in terms of the header icons. Now if you want to log out you just tap on your avatar then choose "log out", should make it simpler for members.

thanks for the improvement, Sharky.
Just tried it, and looks good. Very efficient now.

There's been a few slowdowns recently on the site, and I'm wondering if it's to do with a couple of the add-ons we're using (namely the who's viewing threads; and the country flags) - I've turned these off for now and will monitor to see if it makes a difference.

There's been a few slowdowns recently on the site, and I'm wondering if it's to do with a couple of the add-ons we're using (namely the who's viewing threads; and the country flags) - I've turned these off for now and will monitor to see if it makes a difference.

....and did it? I'm serial lurker and I neeeeed to know who's watching who to keep my paranoia simmering.

FWIW, I hadn't noticed any slow-downs recently but maybe that says more about me than it does the site:p

....and did it? I'm serial lurker and I neeeeed to know who's watching who to keep my paranoia simmering.

FWIW, I hadn't noticed any slow-downs recently but maybe that says more about me than it does the site:p

Haha, well I think it has helped, as we've had less reported outages (even when those outages only last a minute or two). Still to quench your curiosity, I'll turn it back on for now and monitor it (y)

I've added some stats at the bottom of the forum, like we had on the old website. It's on the homepage here:
https://www.trade2win.com/

And it looks like this:

Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 5.12.11 pm.png

Note the options are:

LEFT COLUMN: (All-time - for now we can't limit this to the last X days)
  • Most Reacted Members (Basically, who has the most Likes on their posts - we have also neutral reactions now hence the name)
  • Top Threads Starters
RIGHT COLUMN:
  • Most Replied Threads (Last 30 Days)
  • Most Viewed New Threads (Last 30 Days)

Ta for turning the watcher's "spy" feature back on:)

On an unrelated subject, over some time there have been suggestions on how it might be possible to warn, or at least advise, on (euphemistically) the lack of popularity of some members - I'm thinking of those compulsive or insulting posters who aren't quite at the banning stage.

It occurred to me that since you're now including stats at the bottom of the forum it would be nice to have a small section for the number of "blockers" accrued by the blockee members....perhaps it would be possible to add that stat to the information to the left of an individual post just below the "like" icon....an "X" in bold red would do nicely. This would therefore be a side-effect of an action rather than the purpose, so would give (imo) a better measure of the poster generally.... rather than a "dislike" facility as some have suggested.

Ta for turning the watcher's "spy" feature back on:)

On an unrelated subject, over some time there have been suggestions on how it might be possible to warn, or at least advise, on (euphemistically) the lack of popularity of some members - I'm thinking of those compulsive or insulting posters who aren't quite at the banning stage.

It occurred to me that since you're now including stats at the bottom of the forum it would be nice to have a small section for the number of "blockers" accrued by the blockee members....perhaps it would be possible to add that stat to the information to the left of an individual post just below the "like" icon....an "X" in bold red would do nicely. This would therefore be a side-effect of an action rather than the purpose, so would give (imo) a better measure of the poster generally.... rather than a "dislike" facility as some have suggested.

Thanks for the suggestion cantagril. I've added a tool just now to our admin, that allows me to see a list of the top ignored members. I think it's helpful for staff and mods to be aware of who's being blocked, although it could prove divisive if we shared it with everyone. Clearly if someone is being ignored by a lot of members (I can reveal the biggest ignored member has 12 members ignoring them) then they should be on our watchlist.

Thanks for the suggestion cantagril. I've added a tool just now to our admin, that allows me to see a list of the top ignored members. I think it's helpful for staff and mods to be aware of who's being blocked, although it could prove divisive if we shared it with everyone. Clearly if someone is being ignored by a lot of members (I can reveal the biggest ignored member has 12 members ignoring them) then they should be on our watchlist.

Glad to be of service, sir!

I reckon that for a poster to be able to see how many people are blocking him/her/them/it** should be clear evidence to them that perhaps their posts are not appreciated in the way they hoped and therefore the sensible would take heed and adjust their offerings. The not-so-sensible would presumably continue until the number of blockers becomes first of all ridiculous and then bannable at which point you would excommunicate them. I would therefore argue that the "blocked by" facility would help both the readers and the posters.

...and if I'm not mistaken, that block count of 12 you mentioned has just gone to 13:)

.**sorry, the new PC pronoun regime has me baffled