slow computer

osho67

I get a feeling that my laptop has slowed down over last 3-6 months. Is there any free software I can run which might help. It may not help because the MHz is about 700-800. I have installed XP pro on the machine but that was very recently. C drive is 40 and memory is 124. If need be I can go back to Win 2000 (laptop came with it, I think)

Comments and help much appreciated.

Osho67

try running your Defrag, also so get rid of any old files that you don't use i.e. digital photo's, music files, I can't see that changing your XP back to win 2000 win make much difference !

good luck

I forgot to mention few things. I am running broadband and the computer is running till 10. pm. I run defrag regularly and also clear out temp files for IE.

Will I be able to upgrade RAM? It had only 64 when I bought it and in the empty slot I added another 64.Can I remove both and put 128 each in both the slots? Laptop is compaq . I will do other things as suggested above.

Thanks to everybody for help

Osho67

The more RAM the better 512, or 256, check with the manufacture
as regards to upgrade............

When you've got Everest running, go to Motherboard/ SPD. That will tell you how many RAM slots you've got and the type of RAM.

XP is much more greedy on RAM than 2000, as Oatman said 512 is enough, could you post your motherboard or laptop name as I think you could try getting the fastest 512, 3200? But that might not be supported. If you dont mind xp or 2000 try 2000.

The machine is Compaq modek Presario series 1200. I am going to try to get 2x256 memory.I have two slots for ram-one had 64 and other was empty and I got another 64. I donot know about the memory prices and how much this might cost to put 2x256.

Thanks oatman

How do I find details of the motherboard?The exact model is 12XL222 . Your help much appreciated.

There are some more links here on the right hand side
http://www.pcw.co.uk/Search
If it's right that you can only have 192mb RAM then you'd be better off going back to Win2KPro.

sorry you need to put compaq memory in the search

Last edited:
Thanks oatman, you have been extremely helpful. The friend who found extra 64 memory is trying to find 128 memory for me. Both the memories 2x64 are removable. Thanks again