Which anti-virus s/w?

Just installed the free AVG s/w from grisoft and the free zonelabs firewall. Done a test and laptop invisible. All very easy to install, even for a bead frame operator like me. Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi noted all the above comments.
My problem is with mcafee firewall I have it installed on pc and laptop but now it will not allow the laptop to access the internet even after removing and reinstalling several times. The setting are the same on both. Any suggestions
Alex

Plum, did you uninstall it from the control panel, if not go to
control panel, add or remove programs, remove from there when removed reboot and reinstall, if you have xp check to see if the xp firewall wall is installed as this may be why your'e experiencing a problem with the laptop and not the pc ?you would need to look in the control panel, network connections, dial-up,connected or unconnected, Firewalled, if firewalled right click then check panel on left of window,goto change settings on this connection,double click , when new windows pops up goto advanced and uncheck firewall, reboot again and see if this works
if not jump up and down on the bloody thing........because I don't know what else to tell you ................Good Luck

This from Lockergnome

As for an anti-virus program, I'm currently using Grisoft's AVG Anti-virus. However, I'm concerned. I ran the virus scanner overnight and it found five viruses. Why didn't the program catch these viruses when they arrived instead of when I did a global scan? I e-mailed Grisoft and have yet to hear from them.

unquote

The moral is do a scan regularly whatever AV route you use.

Had AVG quarantined it? In which case it would still show.
You should not rely on one scanner anyway. They all find something another didn't.

Oatman

Dunno. Don't use it. Lockergnome had the problem.

JT

Agree about Norton. Still using 2002 which for some reason extends the licence for another 12 months every time I re-install it. What a cheapskate !!

I use AVG, but ideally you should have 2 programs - One setup as 'on access', the other setup as 'on demand'. It is rare for one scanner to pick up 100% of in the wild viruses all the time.