Anti-virus software that works on Win2K Server

zzaxx99

It's starting to look like a bit of a tactical mistake, but my new machine has been built with Windows 2000 Server, rather than Workstation.

In most ways, this isn't a problem, but for antivirus software, it's a right PITA, because nothing seems to run on it. I bought F-Protect, which won't install (and the *******s won't repond to email either, so that's the last of my money, they'll ever get); Norton explcitly says it won't work; Panda (off the latest PC Pro cover CD), won't install.

I've also just updated Zone Alarm Pro, and in the process that said it wasn't designed for servers either, though seems to be working OK.

I suspect that this is all a marketing fudge to charge higher prices for 'server' products, so I'm left with a couple of options
  1. downgrade to Win2K Pro (not even sure it this is possible, other than by reformatting, which is not something that greatly appeals - I've already been this route once to get from 2003 Server to 2000 Server)
  2. sidegrade to XP Pro - again, not sure that this is an 'allowable' upgrade path
  3. Find an antivirus product that (a) work's on server and (b) doesn't cost and arm and a leg
Views?

This is an independant site, that rates all of the offering out there,

http://www.virusbtn.com

Personally I like ESat's NOD32 and there is a 30day fully functioning trial at

http://www.nod32.com

I am using it on W2K Server, it seems very good, and doesn't consume vast amounts of CPU resources, like some of the ones out there.

Never heard of NOD, but having looked at the site, it has the same problem as some of the others - Server version is 5 or 6x the price of the workstation version.

Kaspersky is even worse - 9 or 10x the desktop price. :devilish:

Last edited:
ZZ,

This would depend on if you are going to use this server as a workstation, or as a commercial server like in a small business, or corporate office.

These companies, like to charge per user so if you load it up on a server and use the one version to serve the whole network then naturally they would like to charge accordingly.

I'm just using the "server" as my main PC - I went that way because I'm going to use it for developing .NET stuff, and IIS is happier on a Server OS. But it's not "serving" anything else.

Anyway - I've found a couple of possibilities - both Sophos and Panda's current products appear to work for server as well, though Sophos in particular is very difficult to buy online.

Artful said:
I am sure that you only need to buy the workstation version, your reasons for having the server version of the OS is purely technical.

I'll agree with that, except that some of the software refuses to install on server OS (f-protect and Norton, for two)

ZZ, and all.

Here's a PC Magazine article about Version 2.0 of NOD32, it should give you some idea about this product and the advantage that it would give you, over the the more well known versions of AV software.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,978452,00.asp

If you need more info then just do a google search and all will be revealed - I am also using it on a server OS.

NOD checks for updates on the hour every hour to keep you up to date.

Good luck with whatever you choose. At very least you should try the 30day trial.

NOD's off my radar now, I'm afraid - damned if I'm going to pay £120 for an antivirus package

Found a good one - F-Prot - seems to be well rated, if not terribly widely known; works on servers as well as desktop OSs; and cheap too:
  • €29 for home use on up to 5 computers, or
  • $50 for a 10-user site license (other options available, if you're running Global Megacorp)

What was the final outcome on this thread?

I'm curious to know what the final outcome was on this thread? I'm dealing with the exact same issue right now. My system is dual boot (win98 and Win2k Server). I want to go back to a single operating system (Win2k Pro) and want to get away from Win2k Server since I cannot find any reasonably priced anti-virus software. I don't want to fdisk the harddrive since there are settings, etc I'd like to keep. What are my alternatives?

Have a look at F-Prot. €29 for 5 instances in a family. Hard to tell how good it is until you actually catch a virus, but the software seems OK, unobstrusive and very regularly updated. Support has been first class. And definitely works on win2K server.

I am using Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I run a network so I need some protection.
I am using Mc Afee 7.00.5000.0 and it works fine. Not to mention I can get antivirus database updates from McAfee FTP site for free. You can try that one, you won't regret it.
I happen to know that the McAfee version 703 works on Advanced Server as well.
Norton Enterprise 10.0 also works fine on 2000 Advanced server. You can get database updates for free too.

Last edited:
Firewalls, AntiVirus & NAS Solutions

Here's a solution that works really well,

Download IPCop from http://www.ipcop.org for free, install it on to an old PC and use the USB key option.This then holds the load file and the program actually builds and runs on a ram drisk in memory.

With the latest version of this product there are some anti virus plug-ins / add-ons that can be loaded. These utilise the free anti-virus progams and the updates are then also free.

Depending on your particular needs there are some people that build these boxes using a mini-itx MB the advantage is that it will run almost silently, as there are less fans, and on a smaller foot print case. VPN's and a whole host of things are available with this solution.

There is a great forum with many people giving support for this product.

So for the price of an old PC, a USB Key, and a little bit of time, a cheap and reliable solution can be built.

Another great solution is http://www.freenas.org so you can build a network storeage solution for all those programs, downloads that you always need instant access to.

Cheers

Artful