slow computer

osho67

407 3
I get a feeling that my laptop has slowed down over last 3-6 months. Is there any free software I can run which might help. It may not help because the MHz is about 700-800. I have installed XP pro on the machine but that was very recently. C drive is 40 and memory is 124. If need be I can go back to Win 2000 (laptop came with it, I think)

Comments and help much appreciated.

rossored

2,105 56
Osho, run the tests at PC Pitstop.

They tell you the state of hard disk, whether you need a defrag, etc. Might be useful.

www.pcpitstop.com

wheezergeezer

368 8
Osho67

try running your Defrag, also so get rid of any old files that you don't use i.e. digital photo's, music files, I can't see that changing your XP back to win 2000 win make much difference !

good luck

Racer

2,666 30
Clear out the cache, cookies, temp files for IE, also check for spyware that is on your computer (I use Ad-Aware) www.lavasoft.de

osho67

407 3
I forgot to mention few things. I am running broadband and the computer is running till 10. pm. I run defrag regularly and also clear out temp files for IE.

Will I be able to upgrade RAM? It had only 64 when I bought it and in the empty slot I added another 64.Can I remove both and put 128 each in both the slots? Laptop is compaq . I will do other things as suggested above.

Thanks to everybody for help

oatman

2,879 22
When you've got Everest running, go to Motherboard/ SPD. That will tell you how many RAM slots you've got and the type of RAM.

ilia king

327 0
XP is much more greedy on RAM than 2000, as Oatman said 512 is enough, could you post your motherboard or laptop name as I think you could try getting the fastest 512, 3200? But that might not be supported. If you dont mind xp or 2000 try 2000.

osho67

407 3
The machine is Compaq modek Presario series 1200. I am going to try to get 2x256 memory.I have two slots for ram-one had 64 and other was empty and I got another 64. I donot know about the memory prices and how much this might cost to put 2x256.

osho67

407 3
Thanks oatman

How do I find details of the motherboard?The exact model is 12XL222 . Your help much appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock