slow computer

osho67

407 3
I get a feeling that my laptop has slowed down over last 3-6 months. Is there any free software I can run which might help. It may not help because the MHz is about 700-800. I have installed XP pro on the machine but that was very recently. C drive is 40 and memory is 124. If need be I can go back to Win 2000 (laptop came with it, I think)

Comments and help much appreciated.

wheezergeezer

368 8
Osho67

try running your Defrag, also so get rid of any old files that you don't use i.e. digital photo's, music files, I can't see that changing your XP back to win 2000 win make much difference !

good luck

osho67

407 3
I forgot to mention few things. I am running broadband and the computer is running till 10. pm. I run defrag regularly and also clear out temp files for IE.

Will I be able to upgrade RAM? It had only 64 when I bought it and in the empty slot I added another 64.Can I remove both and put 128 each in both the slots? Laptop is compaq . I will do other things as suggested above.

Thanks to everybody for help

oatman

2,879 22
When you've got Everest running, go to Motherboard/ SPD. That will tell you how many RAM slots you've got and the type of RAM.

ilia king

327 0
XP is much more greedy on RAM than 2000, as Oatman said 512 is enough, could you post your motherboard or laptop name as I think you could try getting the fastest 512, 3200? But that might not be supported. If you dont mind xp or 2000 try 2000.

osho67

407 3
The machine is Compaq modek Presario series 1200. I am going to try to get 2x256 memory.I have two slots for ram-one had 64 and other was empty and I got another 64. I donot know about the memory prices and how much this might cost to put 2x256.

osho67

407 3
Thanks oatman

How do I find details of the motherboard?The exact model is 12XL222 . Your help much appreciated.