Slow Access To Pages

Apologies for the disruption to normal service this morning. The site's been taking an age to load pages, minutes rather than seconds. And it would appear to have been an issue with the database server, but thankfully the problem seems to have subsided for now. But we'll be looking into the causes of it.

Well we had a fairly major outage this morning for at least an hour, possibly more. We're not entirely sure what the problem was, only that it affected the database server which was slowing down all dynamically generated content. I'll be monitoring the site closely today, and looking into what measures can be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again. Thanks for your patience, and apologies for the disruption to normal service.

Well, we think we've tracked down the culprit - hopefully the site should now be stable for the rest of the day. Unfortunately until we have a dedicated database server, there is always the risk that someone else's action can cause problems for everyone else - which appears to have been what happened this morning/afternoon.

sorry paul but I am finding the site difficult to use - speed has slowed to a crawl - could you have a look at it please?
Thaks for your time

Sorry to say that I have given up looking in here with a modem connection. I wonder how many others there are doing the same?

On a positive note it seems pretty fast with broadband.

I'm on 64K and the site opens quickly, but then a particular page delays before loading.

Paul

I don't have the luxury of broadband and I do find the slow loading of pages (even at the best of times) so frustrating that I find I'm spending less and less time on the site. That's a shame because it's still the best site around by a country mile.

Can you speed things up a bit?

jon

Last edited:
Obvious, and probably mentioned but I always open each message in a new window so they can take their time about opening.
Now I have to find out how to stop XP stacking the windows on the toolbar and get it to show each window
separately on the toolbar as ME did

Now I have to find out how to stop XP stacking the windows on the toolbar and get it to show each window
Try right click on an empty part of the tool bar, Properties and uncheck Group similar task buttons.
This might work :cheesy:

Thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear about the slow pages loading on a 56k modem. If the pages are loading slow on broadband it means that the server hosting the site is experiencing some temporary performance issue. The thing is we're still on a shared server, with lots of other peoples sites, so if one of their is misbehaving it can have a direct impact on ours. Also the hosts have had a bit of difficulty of late with a faulty server that keeps having to be rebooting (each time bringing the site down), they thinbk they've got it fixed now so we shall have to wait and see.

The matter of slow pages on 56k is a different one, and will need a different approach. First of all I exclusively use broadband so I either need to set up a modem connection or get a piece of software to slow down my connection to 56k (yes, they do exist!). Then I can see for myself how bad it is. The new revamped site I would have thought, would not have had much impact. Although, as the site grows the pages need to load more menus - and the slicker header graphics make them slightly larger size. The other thing is the advertising, which is a necessary evil I'm afraid. Still I'll certanly make it a priority to take a look at ways of speeding up the pages, I'm sure there's some things that can be done.

In the meantime thanks for your comments, please keep them coming in - otherwsie I simply wouldn't know there was a problem.

Paul.

Sorry, I've only just noticed this thread. I have thought ever since I joined the site that there was a delay with pages downloading. I use Blueyonder broadband and they have upgraded everyones speed by 50%. So now 750k instead of 500 which has improved the situation, but it's still there. It seems worse at certain times of the day. If I log on from work (yes some of us have to!) then that is ridiculously slow, broadband through proxy server. I really do have time to make a cuppa while that downloads. Although to be fair the pc is a bit naff as well.

Demag, is it any better this week? We have a 1 meg connection, so the site always appears to be running fast unless there are problems with the server. I do intend to test with a modem though, just to see how bad it can be. This week we've scheduled in some time to optimise the site-wide header/menu and footer which should help speed things up a bit.

Hi Sharky,

It doesn't seem too bad at all today.

One thing I've noticed is I do get quite a delay after I've read a thread and then want to get back to the main page. Is that the site or my pc?

Also the site still doesn't "remember" me and I have to continuously log in. My firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) is set to allow cookies. Is there anything else I can check? Do I need to allow a certain type of cookie as there are various options on Zone Alarm?

I have already updated my bookmark to the new web address.

Last edited: