S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2013

Hi guys,

The competition is really getting interesting for me and I have captured two views.

The first is based on the leader board with Gaffs in first place.

The second is in order of bullish sentiment. The up and down should be 9 v 9 as I've just realised I've made a small rounding error. (Images show 10v8 re: Bears v Bulls).

The trading range is a mere 50 ticks - 1521 - 1471. So I really feel a consolidation and convergence is taking place in the group. 5 ticks difference between the Averages approximating to 1500. How fantastic is that??? :) Just numbers or market psychology in full play?

I have also added colour coding in terms of Gold / Silver / Bronze for weekly podium winners.

Finally, out of the 8 tanker squadron members, only Isatrader has reversed his bearish sentiment and has gone long this week. I so hope it works out for Isatrader ;)

Attachments

• SP-20130201a.JPG
    SP-20130201a.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 167
  • SP-20130201a2.JPG
    SP-20130201a2.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 168
Hi guys,

The competition is really getting interesting for me and I have captured two views.

The first is based on the leader board with Gaffs in first place.

The second is in order of bullish sentiment. The up and down should be 9 v 9 as I've just realised I've made a small rounding error. (Images show 10v8 re: Bears v Bulls).

The trading range is a mere 50 ticks - 1521 - 1471. So I really feel a consolidation and convergence is taking place in the group. 5 ticks difference between the Averages approximating to 1500. How fantastic is that??? :) Just numbers or market psychology in full play?

I have also added colour coding in terms of Gold / Silver / Bronze for weekly podium winners.

Finally, out of the 8 tanker squadron members, only Isatrader has reversed his bearish sentiment and has gone long this week. I so hope it works out for Isatrader ;)

So, in otherwords ***** the other 7 of us??
I thought this was a friendly thread :p

Peter

So, in otherwords ***** the other 7 of us??
I thought this was a friendly thread :p

Peter

Not sure about the 7 of you but someone has to come last :LOL:

Don't worry so much - you are doing well holding 'down' that position. :cheesy:

...Finally, out of the 8 tanker squadron members, only Isatrader has reversed his bearish sentiment and has gone long this week. I so hope it works out for Isatrader ;)

"there is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side."

So here's hoping I'm on the right side this week, as I've had a sh!!t start to the year :whistling

Last edited:
Not sure about the 7 of you but someone has to come last :LOL:

Don't worry so much - you are doing well holding 'down' that position. :cheesy:

Well, if I'm going to stink up the place I might as well do it right!

Peter

I keep hearing the following mentioned on the TV and the web:

"Small investors are back in the market after abandoning it during the financial crisis. The return by individual investors is a big reason why the Dow Jones Industrial Average is moving toward an all-time high. The Dow has jumped 850 points in January, a 6.5% gain, marking its best start to a new year since 1989, the Wall Street Journal reports"

However, the data doesn't seem to back up the above statement, as the NYSE (NYTV) total volumes are making new lows and have been around the declining moving average since the start of the year, the Nasdaq (NATV) is close to new lows, and the AMEX (AMTV) is also close to new lows and has been massively lower since the crisis. So even if this money is coming in somewhere, other market players are clearly still getting out of the main exchanges. Or moving to alternate exchanges to hide their activity.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sc-8.png
    sc-8.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 707
  • sc-9.png
    sc-9.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
^ One of the many reasons I don't read any sort of (financial) news anymore. There's nothing of significance to be gleaned there. Reading The Economist is cool once in a while, but none of it will make you money.

I keep hearing the following mentioned on the TV and the web:

"Small investors are back in the market after abandoning it during the financial crisis. The return by individual investors is a big reason why the Dow Jones Industrial Average is moving toward an all-time high. The Dow has jumped 850 points in January, a 6.5% gain, marking its best start to a new year since 1989, the Wall Street Journal reports"

However, the data doesn't seem to back up the above statement, as the NYSE (NYTV) total volumes are making new lows and have been around the declining moving average since the start of the year, the Nasdaq (NATV) is close to new lows, and the AMEX (AMTV) is also close to new lows and has been massively lower since the crisis. So even if this money is coming in somewhere, other market players are clearly still getting out of the main exchanges. Or moving to alternate exchanges to hide their activity.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like a sign the market won't be tanking until enough time has passed for big money to liquidate. Could be months, but I expect we will see a sharp correction within the year. Maybe after we teeter closer to blue skies.

US January employment figures due out at 13.30 gmt. I expect there will be a bit of noise in the markets this afternoon.

Hi guys,

The competition is so close, and the last three weeks accuracy of the top runners have been pretty amazing. Not more than 2-3 points separating the podium winners.

Podium 'positions this week are;

Isatrader.... in first place........:clap: 1st :clap:
Gaffs1964... in second place.....(y) 2nd (y)
Vicorka...... in third place........:cool: 3rd :cool:

The trend following system thus far seems to be beating the doom and gloomers by a handsome margin. Weighted Average is also doing remarkably well again along with Gaffs. Consistency is the name of the game (Said with a Bruce Forsyth accent :) )

(y)

Attachments

• SPX500-2013-02-1b.JPG
    SPX500-2013-02-1b.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 141
Man, so close and yet so far again. You guys are tough to beat! Congrats!

I think I may finally go down next week. This week's action told me there was some heavy selling going on. To tell the truth, I'm getting pretty antsy about this trend...