Rugby world cup 2007

I'd be delighted if you could highlight where I've so much as hinted at that, let alone said it directly JT. Don't start making things up when you can't find facts to fit - you'll turn into a politician!

EDIT: Although I admit the case I make in post 118 is a weak one. A far better argument would one based on the nature of the rules: given the ability to contest the ball in RU, inevitably there will be far more apparent fumbles than in RL. Personally I prefer RU, but I would not knock RL. For one thing, any sport other than football is a 'minority' in the UK, and fans of the oval-ball game ought to stick together. They have far more in common than they have to seperate them.

Apologies, it was yacarob1 who intimated that andy farrell was crap for england at RU. I thought it was you.

Andy Farrell should have made the change about 6 or 7 years ago...that would have given him a couple of seasons to get to grips with the different codes and he would still have had enough speed to play either centre ,or eventually back row.
Quite a few have tried to make the codes switch...Jason Robinson was the biggest success and there are good reasons for that...Harris was the most notable who didn't make the switch. It isn't easy ,because of the technical differences in the codes.
At this point Farrell is not technical enough to play back row and he's not quick enough to play international centre..and there is still a question mark over how well he understands the tactics of this game....argue with me if you like,but if you take a restart and kick it straight down the throat of Habana umpteen times in succession I remain unconvinced that he knows what he is doing..once I could put down to an accident...repeats is well ..ignorance.
Farrell's got great hands and a big boot,but at this point I don't see anything else. I'd take a fit Olly Barkeley over him any day of the week.

Yes i see acknowledge the fact that farrell is not quickest. However, in his last game against samoa he seemed to be far more aggressive, quick & powerful and got a try for his efforts. It could be subconsciously in his earlier games, he wasn't focusing on going flat out, as he wasn't 100% confident in his all-round role. As a result he may have taken his foot off the gas - as can happen - if you are too busy concentrating on one aspect, or are maybe a bit nervous, you tend to forget about/neglect other important aspects. Perhaps now, he is feeling more confident and bedding himself in. Time will tell. BA sure seems to have faith in him...But in all his televised games for england, he has been far from the worst england player IMO - and many experts opinions - i.e. shaun edwards, johnathan davies..he may well be a year or 2 too old now to make a real impact for england, which is a shame, as he perhaps did make the move to RU, 2-3 years too late at 29 to be able to make a substantial impact. At 26/27 he would have had time, just like JR did. Effectively, he came into RU at 30, as he had a year out with injury, which hasn't helped.
It wouldn't surprise me if farrell retired from internationals after the world cup - if he doesn't appreciate being made a scapegoat by the pundits like GG DM WC etc. who barely played any professional rugby between them.

Last edited:
Basically England have struggled to find a natural successor for Will Greenwood and some people thought Farrell might be it...same kind of height and bulk defensively...hands and vision etc.....Greenwood was not quick per se ,but his running style was very much like Jeauzion of France...high stepping which made him very hard to tackle...also had a great eye for the 'hole' and hardly ever failed to get across gain line ...I suspect Ashton thinks Farrell may fill that slot ,but I think he is wrong and it isn't just a speed issue. If they are going to use him it makes sense to do it in the last 15 mins when the tempo falls off ,but if we had others available I wouldn't put him in. I'd rather have Barkeley ,or even Hipkiss in the centre.

RL does make an expansive stlye of playing/passing slightly easier due to their being 4 less players on the pitch, and therefore a bit more space. Also in RL, teams do tend to complete 4-5 tackles before anything needs to happen, and the opposing team is fairly happy for this to happen unless the other team is close to their goal line. In RU there is more urgency on each play, as a change of possession is possible at any time.
These factors explain why the catching/handling/passing in RU does not tend to be as pretty/sophisticated as in RL, and perhaps this is due partly to there being a bit more pressure in the game of RU due to the above 2 reasons.
RU sevens demonstrates the expansive ability of RU play with fewer players/more space on the pitch, which brings optimises the ability to showcase passing/handling skills.

Last edited:
Just watched part of the second half of the Nancy Boys against Estonia.

Painfully boring crap.

I also see the England cricket excuse were soundly beaten by Sri Lanka only a day after they were proclaiming themselves as future world beaters.

For Chrissakes bring on the RUGBY.

We may or may not win tonight but at least we don't have to listen to Nancy boys procaiming themselves as the next best thing to God.

Rugby is a man's game for men.

No need for xs crap.

Place your bets...

Anyone who gets the correct scoreline gets a rep mark from everyone! :LOL:

Unfortunately I'm going with a 20-15 France win! Sorry guys I'd love to see Ingerland turn 'em over. I lived in Pareee for 4 1/2 years so know the character of the Nation, they wont let this one slip them by. Imagine the party if we did it? I was there for the world cup footy final and they were totally gutted when Italy did 'em.

I hope I'm wrong.

Place your bets...

Anyone who gets the correct scoreline gets a rep mark from everyone! :LOL:

Unfortunately I'm going with a 20-15 France win! Sorry guys I'd love to see Ingerland turn 'em over. I lived in Pareee for 4 1/2 years so know the character of the Nation, they wont let this one slip them by. Imagine the party if we did it? I was there for the world cup footy final and they were totally gutted when Italy did 'em.

I hope I'm wrong.

Place your bets...

17-12 England win...

Hmm you owe me Priceman, England mate...... if they know there gonna win it then they will, simple as. Does England know it though ?

England win......

pushed for a score

25 - 13 ,

France burn sheep....... up theirs !

Can the unthinkable happen? I would love it to. The fact they have got themselves to the final is more than adequate to shut their detractors up. A true fan of English rugby would support them no matter what. I'm waiting for the "France played badly" crowd to give us their pearls of wisdom. These people would not know a forward pass from a ruck. :LOL: If anyone is interested I refer you to the following from the IRB website:

Law 16 Ruck

DEFINITIONS
A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team,
who are on their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the
ground. Open play has ended.

Players are rucking when they are in a ruck and using their
feet to try to win or keep possession of the ball, without being guilty of
foul play.

Come on England!

i am impressed. they deserve their win. it is the first time i see them "hungry" for victory.

It is impressive. The team have been talking recently of a belief they have in themselves which is not shared by the rest of the rugby world including some of the fans. They have showed that it exists and it works. These guys are pro's. It is a an injustice that they do not share the same financial rewards as their nancy boy counterparts. They do far more physical work and quite frankly, have a much better attitude towards their own game.

I didn't think they would win this game although I thought it would be very tight. France in France is as tough as it comes.
I don't want to eat humble pie except by the truck load ;) . This isn't a talented team in the sense of the attacking flair of OZ, AB's etc...but no one can doubt their competitive bloodymindedness...I don't think I've seen such a commited display for 4 years from an England team..they played out of their skins to stay in that game. I'm concerned whether they can recover in one week though...the tackling was absolutely ferocious and they will be carrying the marks of that.. let's just hope that tomorrow the Argies and Boks knock the crap out of each other...we don't want to face a fresh team coming through an 'easy' match.

I didn't think they would win this game although I thought it would be very tight. France in France is as tough as it comes.
I don't want to eat humble pie except by the truck load ;) . This isn't a talented team in the sense of the attacking flair of OZ, AB's etc...but no one can doubt their competitive bloodymindedness...I don't think I've seen such a commited display for 4 years from an England team..they played out of their skins to stay in that game. I'm concerned whether they can recover in one week though...the tackling was absolutely ferocious and they will be carrying the marks of that.. let's just hope that tomorrow the Argies and Boks knock the crap out of each other...we don't want to face a fresh team coming through an 'easy' match.

I thought it was going to be 50/50 ish with the edge on our side. During the AB v France game I felt it was close but the AB changed tactics and lost it in the second half. I felt we played the same kicking game working to our advantage. We maintained tempo and as everyones saying the belief is there, conviction is there and there is no stopping now.

I think the SA boys will beat Argentina but they will have psychological flaw when meeting England for the second time after 36-0.

I would say it will be 50/50 again with the edge on SA's side v England but the momentum has built up and the inertia is just too great. I call on the laws of Physics to state England will beat SA. :D

Last edited:
Wow England !!

Great performance, great commitment and great result.

Let's hope the Argies beat the Boks now.

Our tactical kicking wasn't that good ,both Catt and Wilkinson had an off day with the boot..fortunately the French were not any better in that respect. They had the edge in the linouts ,we were under presuure there...I thought we had the edge in the scrums and certainly the edge in the loose play ...Easter is looking better and better and Moody is doing what Moody does well.
Ball in hand they looked a lot better than us ,but our tackling was the best defensive display from us in over 4 years. Ultimately ,either team could have won this it was just so tight ...we got the breaks right when it mattered and fortunately we had the man who knows how to take them when it counts.
Robinson played exceptionally well again ,BUT they all played their hearts out which is what the fans deserved ...a lot of talk about Wilko and Robinson ,but let's give a mention to the man who I think as made the most difference to this side since his appearance....Gomersall ..his work has been exceptional and he's supplied the missing ingredient in the centre....he's without doubt the quickest hands and feet around scrum and loose and you don't run through him. He got to the OZ and French in a big way ...made sure they got sh''ty ball...the guy deserves a medal and I hope he get's the right one.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tough, tough game - it'd take me six months to recover from the bruising (if ever), they've got a week!!!

Martin Johnson said before the game that if we were hanging on and if we were in with a chance of winning with only 20 minutes left, it would be a great place to be.

How right he was.

Well done England.

After watching NZ throw it away it would have been disappointing for you guys to lose it too. That forward pack were Awesome!!