Let's trade, recipes ! Food fit for trading champions.

I'll feel ur buns if u gobble my fishy bits:

This one is a bit of a mediterranean/Indian fusion a la Gumping. It was essentially an experiment that was bang on the money.

What you get is a nice, mild, slightly fruity curry sauce over a nice, buttery grilled fish and a light salad to serve.
Very good if you have gays over for dinner because they are all on Atkins.

Serves 4:

Serve with a salad (No rice) that is heavy on cucumber and spring onion. Slice spring onions diagonally to get nice, chunky, crunchy bites, and cucumber sticks are better than sliced, round bits.

4 nice pieces white, meaty fish. Monkfish is good, swordfish is better. Tuna does work tho.

1 large onion, peeled, roughly chopped
2cm piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 teaspoon, read chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masalla
2 tablespoon soft, brown sugar
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tin chopped toms
handful chopped coriander leaves
juice 1 lime
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut

Handful flaked almonds

Directions:

Heat some oil in a pan (groundnut preferably), fry the onion and then add in the ginger, chilli and crush in the garlic. Fry for 2-3 mins

Add chilli powder, turmeric, garam masalla, sugar and fry for 1-2 mins

Add puree and chopped toms and cook a further couple mins

Finally add lime and coconut and stir well while on the heat.

Liquidise this mixture

Heat up a grill

Melt some unsalted butter and place some of the coriander into it, mix and then brush liberally over the fish steaks and place under a medium grill.
Repeat brushings every time you turn the fish.

While fish is grilling toast the almonds by heating in a dry pan over a hot heat for 1-2 mins, then place to one side.

When fish is cooked, spoon the curry sauce over the fish, leaving some of the fish exposed so. Garnish with the rest of the coriander and some toasted, flaked almonds

Mix a sauce for the salad consisting of one teaspoon fish sauce, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of sugar. Mix well, pour on the salad and sprinkle on the remaining flaked almonds.

Cheers gumping, sounds an interesting number. Love the indian spices, so it sounds it might be up my street.

Where did you get the idea from ?

I'll post my bread recipe SAP.

Killer Bread Recipe.... ! Try this you won't be disappointed

Beautiful Buns/Bread Recipe !

Makes soft crust, soft bread inside, great for making burger, sandwich baps, or baguette style bread for cheese feasting and EVERYTHING else :D

Ingredients

1, Cup tepid/(warm) water
2, Tablespoons softened butter (ok to use 1)
1, Large egg
3 3/4, Cups of flour (plain is fine to use, or bread flour)
1/8 , (one eigth of a cup) Cup sugar (granulated I use)
1 , Teaspoon salt
1, 7 gramme sachet of fast acting yeast (Hovis I use,great results)

Methodology

Place warm water into bread machine
add salt
add sugar
add softened butter
add egg

whisk slightly to combine those ingredients

Add sachet of yeast, whisk slightly again. It is important to add yeast at this stage so that it does not interact with raw sugar too soon, which may exhaust it's biblical powers of lift too early! Stick to the sequence.

Add flour. I push mine through a sieve directly into machine ,on top of liquid.

Set your bread machine on dough mix. My bread machine take 90 mins.

Top tip [I leave my dough resting for a further 30 minutes in the bread machine to obtain the "Monster Rise" as shown.]

Next place some flour on surface and tip,shake out dough mix onto worktop (use a floured hand and scrape out any excess that seems happy to remain in the bread machine)

Now knead dough for a minute or two. Divide into your chosen shape.

Makes 8 good size rolls/baps or 2 mini bageutte type loafs as shown etc etc.

place shaped dough onto lightly floured baking tray.

Next

Put Oven on Gas mark 5 (375 C) to pre heat set shelf to mid position.

Cover dough with clean T towel/ napkin and leave in a warm place for 30-40 minutes. The dough will double in size in this time. Wonderful ! I place mine directly on top of a wide warm/hot radiator, which is perfect.

Now I bake mine one at a time, leaving the other still on radiator ( warm place ) is ok.

BAKE FOR 12 Minutes & 30 seconds. Cook the other tray. I fit 4 rolls onto a baking tray OR one baguette type loaf at a time as they double in size.

Job done, turn onto wire rack . Enjoy that day. Cover in bag for next day use.

Keep on making and enjoying !

Image shows "monster" dough rise! No more worry when peering in to see if your dough mix has risen, you'll be beating this monster dough back down ! LOOK! it's busting through my lid ! :)

39778935.jpg

With the dough, just divided into 2 ,rolled into basic sausage/bageutte shape,bake for 12 minutes 30 seconds,Gas mark 5, and ehh voila!

breaddone.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers gumping, sounds an interesting number. Love the indian spices, so it sounds it might be up my street.

Where did you get the idea from ?

I'll post my bread recipe SAP.

Hey CB!

The recipe is an adaptation of a chicken tikka masala recipe from a Gordon Ramsey tv show....removed the yoghurt,reduced the spice levels, added a few ingredients etc.
The idea was to get it exactly the way it turned out: a light, fruity curry that would go with simple fish, allowing the fish to be appreciated and facilitating a light accompaniment (salad) instead of the traditional rice/naan number. Comes out for all the world like a mediterranean dish.

As far as cooking the fish, this just seemed like common sense to me, since I've never really done much work with fish, and only know how to cook it simply.

The salad dressing is inspired by a Bill Grainger recipe, but I think his was a bit more complex - I sort of ad-lib'd it on the spur of the moment and it seemed to work.

Montmorency:

:clap: Alot to be said for that. My recommendation is Sainsbury's Organic Fillet steak. You'll get a decent bit of cow for about £5-6 and after 10 mins under the grill it'll almost cut itself.

Simple roast potatoes to accompany:

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees with an oiled baking tray on top shelf.

Get King Edward potatoes (Nice, powdery texture - the best roaster. Maris Piper will do), boil for 10 mins. Then - THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT: drain the spuds, put the now-dry boiling pan back on the heat and put the spuds back in it. Leave for ~2 mins and shake VIGOROUSLY every 20 secs or so. At this point, your spuds will look as if they have a batter coating - this will crisp up when roasting. Place them in your pre-oiled, pre-heated baking tray at ~180 degrees, toss to coat in oil, sprinkle a bit of salt and roast for about 75 mins - they come out wonderfully crispy with a melt-in-the-mouth centre. Truly F**king awesome. Me and the wife are totally addicted to these.
Roast with e.g. sage, rosemary, thyme, onions, garlic etc if required - I prefer au naturelle.

Install one of these babies in the kitchen. Especially useful if you're trying to attain that Fat Elvis look!

FC01-9910.jpg

"Empty the Fridge" Salad:

Fresh herbs: Chives, Mint, Coriander, Basil
1 unwaxed Lemon
1/2 red onion

Baby new potatoes / charlotte potatoes / doesn't really matter as long as they're sorta bitesize

2 x Chicken Breasts (Free range w/ Skin on if you can)

fill Kettle and put it on
pre-heat oven G5

score chicken breasts, give a good slurp of Olive oil, salt n pepper. Bung 'em in the oven for 20 mins middle shelf.

(now get your plate / cutlery / drink... this is the time that the chicken will rest for)

Put the spuds on to Boil also 20 mins or until cooked.

In the meantime, finely slice the onion and pull the leaves off the stalks of the herbs (apart from the chives, just sorta cut em in half). Zest the Lemon. Mix them all together thoroughly.

Take out the chicken and leave it to rest.

Once the spuds are done, drain them and put them back in the pan, over a low heat. Olive oil / Butter, + good pinch salt.

Throw in the mixed herb leaves into the pan and mix em about - on a LOW heat, just trying to heat them through, not cook em.

Slice chicken and chuck in pan.

Give stir.

Eat.

(I am eating this now)

p.s. if you cook the chicken with the skin on, you can then take it off before you slice it. It would mess up the textures.

If anyone is struggling to knock one out. This is the product for you.

jordans_natural_wheat_bran_375g.jpg

No s***!

Jordans Natural Wheat Bran 375g by Jordans from GoodnessDirect

Nutritional Information
per 100g:
Energy 791kJ/188kcal, Protein 16.3g, Carbohydrate 17.4g, sugars 5.5g, Fat 5.9g - of which saturates 1.2g, mono-unsaturates 1.2g, polyunsaturates 3.5g, Fibre (AOAC method) 44.5g, Sodium trace, Thiamin 0.4mg (29%RDA), Niacin 24.1mg (134% RDA), Vitamin B6 0.3mg (15% RDA), Folic Acid 130µg (65% RDA), Phosphorus 1600mg (200% RDA), Iron 11.7mg (84% RDA), Magnesium 442mg (147% RDA), Zinc 7.4mg (49% RDA).
Cautions
We cannot guarantee that this product is 100% free of nuts and seeds.

Classic Ox -tail & Vegies; Total cooking time5-7 hours or so.
Dont be put off by the cooking time, the actual prep etc is only half an hour or so, the rest is checking fluid levels/throwing stuff in .

Requirements;
A huge electric frypan, preferably 7 or so litres capacity-i use a round high side stainless sunbeam elise, you could use a big slow cooker, but it would likely take a few extra hours, or in the oven at very, very low heat, maybe 80-90 degrees, slow cooking" temps. Nothing stopping you blasting the ox-tail for a bit to speed things up, but seems have better flavours, textures etc.

1.-brown enough ox tail to roughly fill the base of the pan, with a little wiggle room for vegies-after sitting them upright add water and beef stock (if you want)to around 3/4 to 4/5 their height, set to very, very low simmer, add an entire bulb of garlic or more, ie, 10-15 peeled cloves, whole, mixed herbs, paprika, dill seeds etc (whatever your favourite flavours are, mustard, fennel seeds, cloves whatever).

2. Keep at a ridiculously low simmer for about 3-4 hours, topping up fluid as necessary.
About 4 hours in, add whole potatoes, chunk-chopped carrots, whole onion and any other fav veggies, if theres enough room-there likely wont be much,but you must have the spuds, they are the feauture, and add at least a cup of port-more is good, doesnt have to be good stuff, and just wedge the veggies down a bit if possible, they dont have to be covered in the fluid, but they do have be rotated through the stock to absorb the goodies, the oxtail can be covered in fluid at this stage if necessary for the veg to soak up the flavours.

3. Don't bash the spuds around, they will likely fall apart if you do-give this stage about an hour to an hour and a half, use large spuds with a creamy "yellow" flesh if possible;

Right, the dish is done when you can pull out a bit of oxtail by the bone, give it a little shake, and the meat etc falls clean off, AND (ideally, anyway) you can lift out a spud with a big ladle/spoon, and it will fall in half with little or no provacation.

The inside of the spuds should have a waxy texture (from the fat) and a purple tinge from the port, and they are the real feature of this dish.

Hints-
a)if theres simply not enough room, you could store the oxtail warming seperately in the oven with jus, and /or otherwise do the veg seperately in spooned out jus-could be quicker this way, i just like to save on washing up.
b)dont be afraid to throw in more port. The alcohol evaporates anyway, and the flavour is something else altogether with the oxtail fats etc.

c) you basically have to serve the spuds with huge amounts of butter etc, its just extraordinary.
e) This may not exactly a "healthy" dish, but its opulent and delicious, and you will feel like a king eating it.

Thats the basic version anyway, it may not be "healthy", i guess you could add bran..........

Get your rub on

Apply liberally to any meat, let marinade overnight, then smoke it out or grill it

8 tablespoons coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons Cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped oregano / preferably fresh, dried will do
3 tablespoons smoked paprika

Get King Edward potatoes (Nice, powdery texture - the best roaster. Maris Piper will do), boil for 10 mins. Then - THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT: drain the spuds, put the now-dry boiling pan back on the heat and put the spuds back in it. Leave for ~2 mins and shake VIGOROUSLY every 20 secs or so. At this point, your spuds will look as if they have a batter coating - this will crisp up when roasting. Place them in your pre-oiled, pre-heated baking tray at ~180 degrees, toss to coat in oil, sprinkle a bit of salt and roast for about 75 mins - they come out wonderfully crispy with a melt-in-the-mouth centre. Truly F**king awesome. Me and the wife are totally addicted to these.
Roast with e.g. sage, rosemary, thyme, onions, garlic etc if required - I prefer au naturelle.

Hmmm nice ! I must admit when we do the roast spuds I'm off into the garden hacking the rosemary bush to bits. Good handful snipped onto off the spuds with 4 to 5 cloves of chopped garlic, shake with potato in the hot oil and then roast til your colour/crisp combo is perfect.

Rosemary & Garlic roast spuds ... superb subtle flavours when eating them, even stroppy teenagers say , "these are lush". Somewhat addicted to the flavour now and the poor rosemary bush ,although about 3 foot by 2 foot is looking a bit short on leaf. Need to get another planted I think this season..

Not tried with fresh thyme, we struggle to grow that. Trying again this year.

Apply liberally to any meat, let marinade overnight, then smoke it out or grill it

8 tablespoons coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons Cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped oregano / preferably fresh, dried will do
3 tablespoons smoked paprika

:cheesy: cheers big boy ! I have been thinking about stalking down creating perfect coatings for meats using simple spices & seasoning combos. Seems like a lot of salt in that, do you pat it off, like slapping a babies **** (not that i do slap babies arses ) or something before one grills it ?

Also looking for the perfect KFC southern style chicken coating type mix . I think they leave the skin on the chicken, dip in flour then apply the secret coating mix and oven bake.hmm or is it fried , must be, southern fried chicken aint it ? anyhow , so I am looking to create that taste for the recipe book bible of "keepers" .

All my herbs kinda died a few weeks ago. No idea why. I'm not great with herbs.

The recipe for the roasties sounds pretty good though. Have to try it that way next time.

In the top 10....

All my herbs kinda died a few weeks ago. No idea why. I'm not great with herbs.

The recipe for the roasties sounds pretty good though. Have to try it that way next time.

The rosemary bush seems pretty hardy and pain free to grow ,ours is about 3-4 years old, and we do crop it heavily , its looking a bit woody now, but we must seek to use it 40+ odd times a year for spuds , so its a miracle its still offering anything ! :D

But honestly, wow , the aroma of when the rosemary and garlic hits the hot oil and you spoon it all around , is amazing. Real pulling power. I don't bother pulling out the bits of stalk ,leaf, sometimes I'll take the paper skins of the garlic , sometimes not.... just chop up, and in the oil, even when the garlic looks very dark after roasting, it doesn't impair the flavour of the spuds at all.

But bang for buck ,simplicity and taste , rosemary & garlic spuds is in the top list. (y)

:cheesy: cheers big boy ! I have been thinking about stalking down creating perfect coatings for meats using simple spices & seasoning combos. Seems like a lot of salt in that, do you pat it off, like slapping a babies **** (not that i do slap babies arses ) or something before one grills it ?

Also looking for the perfect KFC southern style chicken coating type mix . I think they leave the skin on the chicken, dip in flour then apply the secret coating mix and oven bake.hmm or is it fried , must be, southern fried chicken aint it ? anyhow , so I am looking to create that taste for the recipe book bible of "keepers" .

It's definitly a lot of salt, so use sparingly enough.. and you've got to really rub it in there..
KFC I think they must deep fry for a little bit then stick them in the oven... deep fried from raw comes out really dry for some reason... there's loads of great southern fired recipes on google, its a pretty simple concoction of spices, but forget about getting it exactly like theirs.. they throw so many artificial enhancers and sweeteners in that cant be bought easily... the real deal is much nicer anyway.

The lady that cleans my house used to work for KFC. She just told me that they dip the chicken pieces, partially frozen, in water and then in the coating mix (flour and spices) and then they deep fry it in a pressure cooker, under pressure for about 10-15 minutes. They just put it in warming ovens to keep it warm before they sell it to you, it does not cook in there.

Last edited:
The lady that cleans my house used to work for KFC. She just told me that they dip the chicken pieces, partially frozen, in water and then in the coating mix (flour and spices) and then they deep fry it in a pressure cooker, under pressure for about 30 minutes. They just put it in warming ovens to keep it warm before they sell it to you, it does not cook in there.

coool.. gonna try that... can't beat inside info

How do you do 'partially frozen'? Defrost for half an hour or so? If so it's a great idea (cos then you can freeze a bunch of chicken pieces so I don't have to shop so often).

How do you do 'partially frozen'? Defrost for half an hour or so? If so it's a great idea (cos then you can freeze a bunch of chicken pieces so I don't have to shop so often).

I just checked ...
It is more defrosted than that, more like superchilled but soft on the outside so the coating will stick.
Let them rest for half an hour after breading them too.
Heat the oil to 375 and no more than 400 (sorry US numbers)
Get it to pressure and when the pressure cooker starts to steam cook it for 12 &1/2 minutes. Then release pressure as per your cooker instructions and drain on a rack or paper towels.