Isp--no Dial-up Two Hour Cut-off

ianh

75 2
Trader333, or anyone else who knows?

I notice that you used to work using a dial-up connection before Broadband was installed.
How did this cope with transmitting your trades.
I ask, because I am just about to move my office to home, & there is no broadband there.

ianh

oatman

2,879 22
I'm with Eclipse and they cut you off at 2 hours now. If you think there's a busy spell coming up just cut and reconnect. At least you know you're OK for a while. I've just got it set to redial, there's not much else you can do. Make sure you put a Stop in "somewhere" if you've got a pos, just in case.

Good luck,

Henry

177 2
ianh said:
Trader333, or anyone else who knows?

I notice that you used to work using a dial-up connection before Broadband was installed.
How did this cope with transmitting your trades.
I ask, because I am just about to move my office to home, & there is no broadband there.

ianh

As mentioned earlier on this thread, ISDN is a good alternative if you cant get adsl, although it's more expensive admittedly. Response times are much faster than modem connections. You also have the advantage that if your ISP cuts you off after a couple of hours, the reconnection is so fast you're unlikely to even know it happened.

As for trading over dialup, a lot depends on your software. Deal4Frees software for example, is dog slow on anything but the worlds greatest specc'ed PC with the biggest connection you can get. IB on the other hand is quite happy with a modem connection. I think as long as you close your mail client, any instant messenger s/w etc whilst trading, dial-up will cope with most things.

H.

ianh

75 2
I have an IB account with the TWS installed on the machine, & esignal 7.4
I also plan to have direct access?
What do you think?

Ian

oatman

2,879 22
I've got IB on one machine with ISDN and my price feed on another via satellite, but you can take feed off IB into Sierra which is what I'm experimenting with at the mo. Your line will slow down but it's one of those things you've got to get used to!

Good luck

Trader333

8,655 981
Ianh,

IB is direct access ? did you mean a Level II direct access platform ? Anyway I did have esignal and IB with dial up and it worked fine for me although I guess there must have been some delay in getting the data but if so I didnt notice it.

Paul

Henry

177 2
ianh said:
I have an IB account with the TWS installed on the machine, & esignal 7.4
I also plan to have direct access?
What do you think?

Ian

Ian, I have exactly the same - esignal / tws (no L2 direct access) and it works fine on ISDN and standard dialup (I tend to get a 52k connection if ever I dial up).

H.

ianh

75 2
Thanks Guys. This makes me feel a little better. It will be a real backward step after using a business broadband connection all the time, but I am going to try it.

Paul, Yes I mean Level II direct access. Did you have that?

Ian.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock