No Internet for 3 days :(

UKtradergirl

Established member
I'm really p*&&ed off because Tiscali decided to cut my internet off for three days.

Coincided with a position i was holding overnight. Cue, me rushing around like a woman possessed at 6 the following morning trying to get baby up and dressed then get out to my mum and dad's house to check my account there. (i had a small stop loss on my position but i still HAD to know what was going on)

Luckily... was in profit when i got to check.

Anyway, Tiscali had messed up my billing which is why they had cut me off, and had apparently sent me email messages telling me they were going to do so, to an email address i didn't even know i had.

Fantastic.

Oh, i forgot to mention- before i knew i was cut off i phoned them and spent half an hour on the phone to technical support who messed around with my passwords and router settings before realising my account had been suspended! Hence, they actually had reconnected me after a few hours, but because they had messed up my router i didn't get online for the full three days (after i phoned them up again to ask why it was taking so long and they were saying- oh but you are connected now already).

I'm so annoyed.:mad:

So.. can anyone recommend a good reliable ISP?

I can't miss out on trading days like this- it's not good for my sanity.

UKTraderGirl

Tiscali are one of the better ISPs in my view unless you have the option of cable broadband ? If it was an account issue and it is now resolved then I would give them another go. It is always a good idea to have the telephone number of your broker in both your home phone and a mobile just in case you need to call them to close a trade.

Paul

You really need to switchover to a proper provider. BT Broadband is best, else try Virgin (cable).

You really need to switchover to a proper provider. BT Broadband is best, else try Virgin (cable).

I second that; BT broadband, I mean.
Besides, BT owns the physical network.
Never had problems with them, anyway.

Eduardo :)

Although i've never had problem wiht my provider (subsidiary of PlusNet) I now have a Vodafone mobile broadband USB stick as backup / away from home facility. Works satis - not usually as fast as landline but in practice perfectly adequate. Even when on GRPS instead of 3G it is still better than no connection. Difficult to assess speed because it seems to vary dynamically during connection - but in paractical terms it quite ok.

At £15 / month (1 year contract) for 3 GB allowance it easily pays for itself on 1 trade from the motorway service area when travelling. Probably unsuited to those who need instant trades / scalping etc but works fine for swingers like me.

As far as i'm concerned it's a cheap and useful insurance / extra facility.

0007 is right, a mobile broadband connection is very useful.
It doesn't matter how good your provider is, if someone accidently cuts through the phone line, as happened to my brother, you won't be able to connect.
I am also with Vodafone mobile, and it works fine, but there are some networks that are cheaper if you shop around.

Graham

I'm really p*&&ed off because Tiscali decided to cut my internet off for three days.

Coincided with a position i was holding overnight. Cue, me rushing around like a woman possessed at 6 the following morning trying to get baby up and dressed then get out to my mum and dad's house to check my account there. (i had a small stop loss on my position but i still HAD to know what was going on)

Anyway, Tiscali had messed up my billing which is why they had cut me off, and had apparently sent me email messages telling me they were going to do so, to an email address i didn't even know i had.

Fantastic.

Oh, i forgot to mention- before i knew i was cut off i phoned them and spent half an hour on the phone to technical support who messed around with my passwords and router settings before realising my account had been suspended! Hence, they actually had reconnected me after a few hours, but because they had messed up my router i didn't get online for the full three days (after i phoned them up again to ask why it was taking so long and they were saying- oh but you are connected now already).

UKTraderGirl
GOLDEN RULE OF ONLINE TRADING - ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP CONNECTION.... either use your mobile as a modem or have mobile trading software from your broker.

Sadly most isp,s bad as each other. cant wait for the day we all go fibre optic.

GOLDEN RULE OF ONLINE TRADING - ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP CONNECTION.... either use your mobile as a modem or have mobile trading software from your broker.

Sadly most isp,s bad as each other. cant wait for the day we all go fibre optic.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to make sure i can access IG on my mobile in the future, and also note down their number for telephone trading :).

Will be checking out ISP's too.

UKTraderGirl

I had appalling speeds with BT because I was too far away from the telephone exchange.

Switched to Virgin fibre optic cables a few months ago and I am very satisfied so far. It's cheaper too!

Yep, I think BT is the best overall, but where I'm living now we use Virgin, which hasn't been too bad. Had an issue last week where I couldn't access my ETXCapital web page at all, but this has now been resolved. I signed up for Vodafone Mobile Broadband at £7.50 per month for an 18 month contract, which works very well indeed. 3GB allowance, max speed 7.2mbps.

Although i've never had problem wiht my provider (subsidiary of PlusNet) I now have a Vodafone mobile broadband USB stick as backup / away from home facility. Works satis - not usually as fast as landline but in practice perfectly adequate. Even when on GRPS instead of 3G it is still better than no connection. Difficult to assess speed because it seems to vary dynamically during connection - but in paractical terms it quite ok.

At £15 / month (1 year contract) for 3 GB allowance it easily pays for itself on 1 trade from the motorway service area when travelling. Probably unsuited to those who need instant trades / scalping etc but works fine for swingers like me.

As far as i'm concerned it's a cheap and useful insurance / extra facility.

Yep, I think BT is the best overall, but where I'm living now we use Virgin, which hasn't been too bad. Had an issue last week where I couldn't access my ETXCapital web page at all, but this has now been resolved. I signed up for Vodafone Mobile Broadband at £7.50 per month for an 18 month contract, which works very well indeed. 3GB allowance, max speed 7.2mbps.

Further report on my experience with Vodafone mobile Broadband dongle: I some times use it at home as an alternative, to keep it ticking over ok and use some of the 3GB allowance. My recent use seems to be indistinguishable from my usual ISP which means either my ISP is rubbish or Voda have upgraded the service.

Only minus point is that doesn't seem to work very well while actually moving. Eg on train journey Northants to York keeps slipping out of 3G into GPRS into nothing. Ok while stopped in station with any kind of signal

Either way I'm very pleased with it and consider it an excellent £15 / month insurance and ability to close trades when on the road. Currently trying to get it to work on Linux so i can use it out and about with a cheap & lightweight netbook PC.

PS Cheap technology: - just bought Nokia basic PAYGO phone from Tesco for £19.50 with £10 free airtime (O2 network) = £9.50. Linux can also be free - very appealing and works well on my desktop as a dual boot. :)

Fantastic.

UKTraderGirl

newnet have been good for me over many months.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to make sure i can access IG on my mobile in the future, and also note down their number for telephone trading :).

Will be checking out ISP's too.

:eek:

I have my brokers number tatooed to my desk. I have my mobile at my side, and i have my mobile phonebook open so that i can see the number. Saves valuable sconds should there be an emergancy..

i mis-read that to start with and thought you had tattooed the number on your 'chest'- not the 'desk'. I was beginning to get worried...

I'm late to this thread AND I think I have mentioned this on T2W before but...

BT are reliable and if you phone the 'I want to leave' number when your contract expires then they will knock off 30+% without you even having to sound serious about leaving. Even more if you ask for the MAC and don't blink first :eek:

Ben