In This Thread, i will post what i like and dislike about the UK

dolton, i have tons of health care insurance

when yuo're a master car keyer, tons of health care insurance is a MUST HAVE requirement :cool:

another thing i love about the UK

Old English pubs

one of my favorites is the Holly Bush in Hampstead North London. Yesterday, myself and Nelissa (future Mrs Key Boi) had lunch there and it rocked. The food, the beer, the decor, the people, just awesome :)

*In This Thread, i will post what i like and dislike about the UK*

you're just a good old fashioned dumb american licker of english you know whats aren't you ?

I visited America for a month during the summer and generally agree with Car Key Boi's comments.

I was particularily impressed with a guy who offered me a lift from a store back to my hotel something which would rarely happen over here. Most staff were friendly, but then the tipping system probably provides an incentive, especially if you get confused with the bills!

However, high taxes on petrol (gas) and cigs are probably a good thing overall providing the revenue funds something useful, such as a free health service. The problem in the UK is that private healthcare can compromise public healthcare there are only so many quality medical personnel to go round. Private medical costs have escalated in the States partly due to the administrative costs of running insurance.

I also agree that the worst part of living in the UK at the moment are the over inflated house prices, especially if you wish to move up (or worse still get on) the housing ladder. I believe that treating your own dwelling as an investment is a con since most people gradually move to more expensive properties, and they will continue to live in a sole property for the rest of their lives. We would have a far better standard of living if property prices dropped in the long run.

Incidentally I like the British weather, you rarely get fried or frozen to the extent you do in a continental country (Hurricanes and earthquakes are very rare here as well). After travelling in the desert for weeks it was a relief to reach San Francisco which has a mild climate all year.

cassiopeia,

We live in a market economy on a highly densely populated Island that is only 1/4 the size of California. The reason property prices are high is simply because demand is far greater than supply and that is it.

In terms of slating private medical care, well I just dont agree with you on that. Many of those who practice privately do so in their own time in addition to working for the NHS full time. If there was no private care then there would be no incentive for these people to spend much of their leisure time treating private patients which would put an even greater strain on the NHS. Or are you saying we should force these people to work longer hours for the NHS because that is just not fair.

So it can be argued that private medical care is alleviating pressure on the NHS and not the other way round and there are many cases now where the NHS is sending patients to private facilities because they cannot cope with the demand themselves.

Without private medical care you can be sure that taxes would be significantly higher and waiting lists considerably longer than they already are.

Paul

I love our ability to queue - you only have to see little old ladies get crushed at bus stops in Germany to realise how sensible we are.

I hate the way common sense seems to have evaporated in this country.

if you want action , american women are much better , but watch oout for the STDS.

Paul

No you don't need to force them to work, perhaps it's not a good idea to see a tired surgeon anyway, but will they be tired during NHS or private time? In some cases they could be payed the same rate for NHS overtime as they do privately, but it is all a rip off. Who should pay? the same class of people who pay for private care in the first place via taxes, they just wait their turn like everyone else. In the UK we all have medical insurance when we are born without the insurance paperwork, it is called the NHS.

There are other ways. I think trained nurses could do 90% of the job of a GP and they certainly don't get paid a fortune. In fact a GP once told me that 90% of the work was dead easy and common sense and only 10% of cases require any skill.

Ultimately, it all comes down to the age old argument, should everyone have access to the basics of life: equal rights to health and education, a few say yes, some say no, most in the UK believe in a half way house in which the rich have the fastest and sometimes better treatment but the average person has a basic safety net, or if you are lucky a bed!

I disagree with Americans about their freedom, they have as much freedom as the best Doctor, teacher or Lawyer they can afford and this is becoming true more so here. The rights to free speech is of limited use if you are bedridden, illiterate or in prison, especially in US Cuba.

Housing, yes supply and demand is the driving factor, but like the stockmarket the housing market can overshoot and it could lead to tears if interest rates rise. The UK is not the only country which is overcrowded, Belgium is more so and far cheaper. I was just pointing out that high or rising house prices do not confer wealth unless one can cash in like in the stockmarket.

Last edited:
yeah but in the UK , freedom is only theoretical . there are many psychological / cultural restraints .

I spent 3-happy months in Hackensack NJ in the late seventies lecturing on solar energy at a trade show and had an opportunity at that time to remain in the states and later to "acquire"a green card, like a p**t I declined this invitation to work in Virginia....

Later a year before "twin towers" attack, I toured New York and New England with my other half and talking to locals [as you do] the word was that-:

a/ the population of the states would ballon to exceed 500M in the next 15 years, talk of the States as being the anti-christ was so much c**p and indeed the people most hostile to USA on grounds of whatever were most anxious to move there!!!

b/ many [most?] inhabs of NY were illegals......that was perhaps self evident when my wife and I visited the Empire State Building and had to listen to an indignant afgahistan driving our stetched limo complaining about illegal chinese!!!! great.

Now the debate in our house is which is the better city New York or London, ........for my part there is only one winner.

Incidently, [-for anyone interested in the History of Wall Street and how they raised the finance for Brittain to fight WW2"] I would recommend John Steel Gordon's "The Great Game" ISBN 0-7432-0043-8 A facinating read.

Sorry to lay into the British, but I find the "cannot do" attitude quite tiring. More time is spent comming up with reasons why something cant be done then actually doing it :)

Anyway, my guess is the people on this board generally wouldn't fit into this generalisation or they wouldn't be here - so dont take offence.

An aussie.

I love stereotyping. It rocks.
All Aussie's are crocodile wrestling, criminal types currently employed in temporary bar jobs.
(I luv u really)
I like this thread... who's next???