grumpy old gits thread

Please note, I do agree with you on the principle; my kids never missed school like this. I'm not sure about the "enforcement" and fines though. A bit nanny state.

Please note, I do agree with you on the principle; my kids never missed school like this. I'm not sure about the "enforcement" and fines though. A bit nanny state.

That's fine mate no probs. Always good to see and weigh all povs.

This may be a case where the interests of the many 'social' outweigh that of the 'individual'.

I hear what you say about nanny state. I'd let teachers, doctors and nurses decide what works best for them.

As it happens both hard professions, with numbers leaving due to poor wages and excessive workloads.

All the best (y)

I treasure the memory of my family hols (which were always during the school holidays).

However, I clearly remember being very frustrated that schooldays ended so early and we had weeks and weeks off during the year. I was sure we could have learned much more in a much shorter time and been better educated in each and every subject if we had actually gone to school the way adults around us went to work - 8 or 9 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, every week of the year barring leave allowances.

Whether or not kids are away for a week here and there is a little tiny detail when the entire educational system needs a revolutionary re-design. Better education might have helped this guy on the Isle of Wight.

I treasure the memory of my family hols (which were always during the school holidays).

However, I clearly remember being very frustrated that schooldays ended so early and we had weeks and weeks off during the year. I was sure we could have learned much more in a much shorter time and been better educated in each and every subject if we had actually gone to school the way adults around us went to work - 8 or 9 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, every week of the year barring leave allowances.

Whether or not kids are away for a week here and there is a little tiny detail when the entire educational system needs a revolutionary re-design. Better education might have helped this guy on the Isle of Wight.

I think the whole school curriculum needs updating to the modern world. Are schools like Winchester teaching our brightest children ancient Greek still ?

BA's 'global IT system failure' is due to 'power supply issue'
All flights from Gatwick and Heathrow cancelled

Do we believe BA?

Statistics show most data centre issue relate to power but on this scale doesn't fit the bill.

Critical systems usually on three different circuits have UPS and failover. It's almost a rookie error to say it was power failure.

BCP-DR tests are often carried out in 6m intervals. Electric power tests at least once per year.

Forum chat here...
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/fo...t_systems_failure_down_to_power_supply_issue/

I like this one...

Re: Ho hum

Yeah, BA IT staff told their CEO they needed greater redundancy... So he fired them.

They're called Tata because that's what they say once they've got your money.

Tata have stated they'll be flying hundreds of engineers to the UK to resolve the problem. As soon as they find an airline able to transport them.

It technically IS a power supply issue. Alex Cruz should never have had any.

Cost savings eh?

In your face, dumbass

And it has nothing to do with lay off of hundreds of IT staff, of course... BA gets what it deserves.

For Mr Cruz, 'redundancy' means firing people, not doubling critical systems to avoid two major failures in a couple of months.

BA's 'global IT system failure' is due to 'power supply issue'
All flights from Gatwick and Heathrow cancelled

Do we believe BA?

Statistics show most data centre issue relate to power but on this scale doesn't fit the bill.

Critical systems usually on three different circuits have UPS and failover. It's almost a rookie error to say it was power failure.

BCP-DR tests are often carried out in 6m intervals. Electric power tests at least once per year.

Forum chat here...
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/fo...t_systems_failure_down_to_power_supply_issue/

I like this one...

Re: Ho hum

Yeah, BA IT staff told their CEO they needed greater redundancy... So he fired them.

They're called Tata because that's what they say once they've got your money.

Tata have stated they'll be flying hundreds of engineers to the UK to resolve the problem. As soon as they find an airline able to transport them.

It technically IS a power supply issue. Alex Cruz should never have had any.

Cost savings eh?

In your face, dumbass

And it has nothing to do with lay off of hundreds of IT staff, of course... BA gets what it deserves.

For Mr Cruz, 'redundancy' means firing people, not doubling critical systems to avoid two major failures in a couple of months.

Agreed. You reap what you sow. Getting rid of the critical systems in house IT and losing the DNA to deal with a crisis is coming home to roost! Cost cutting....get a grip BA....

I watched the comedy " One foot in the grave " yesterday. Hilarious as the old man and his wife are stuck in a traffic jam.

I watched the comedy " One foot in the grave " yesterday. Hilarious as the old man and his wife are stuck in a traffic jam.

Maybe they should do one where they are stuck at the airport just before take off on their holiday... :whistling

old geisers over 50 annoy me:D.

so set in their "ways" (the good ole glory days were good enuf); distrust progress; cynical; stone headed; GRUMPY lol

present company excluded of course :D

Last edited:
old geisers over 50 annoy me:D.

so set in their "ways" (the good ole glory days were good enuf); distrust progress; cynical; stone headed; GRUMPY lol

present company excluded of course :D

If you were one of the seven dwarf's who would you be?

Doc...
Grumpy. ...
Happy. ...
Sleepy. ...
Dopey. ...
Bashful. ...
Sneezy.

If you were one of the seven dwarf's who would you be?

Doc...
Grumpy. ...
Happy. ...
Sleepy. ...
Dopey. ...
Bashful. ...
Sneezy.

your generation had its chance,,,and fkd up the World.

we millennials will clean up your mess.

with all due respect

get back into your old folks home:whistling

with all due respect

Don't be Bashful, just answer the question!

with all due respect

Oh to be young again. Clean up the world he says ! Barely out of the pram and wiping his own a*se now.

Twenty something and they think they know everything., just like we used to be..........
Nothing changes.

Last edited:
^
schizophrenia
ˌskɪtsə(ʊ)ˈfriːnɪə/Submit
noun
a long-term mental disorder of a type involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behaviour, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings, withdrawal from reality and personal relationships into fantasy and delusion, and a sense of mental fragmentation.
(in general use) a mentality or approach characterized by inconsistent or contradictory elements.

Worth reading this re: Alex Cruz... This guy makes Frank Spencer look good. :)

Run down a company, operating at skeleton staff levels and when any hiccups occur there is nothing in the tank. This is their idea of good management, maximising profits and bonuses... Anyhow, it looks like it's a theme or a trend with this Alex Cruz and big mess is not the first.

He should write a book on how not to run a company, lessons learnt. Probably make more money if his honest. ;)

Alex Cruz loses his bonus

According to reports in the Spanish press, British Airways CEO Alex Cruz will receive no bonus for 2016 due to his role in the Vueling debacle last summer.

Vueling, IAG’s low cost airline based in Barcelona, was forced to cancel hundreds of flights during the peak season. Rapid expansion meant that it had scheduled flights but ended up not having enough staff to operate them, especially co-pilots. The departure schedule also proved to be too inflexible to cope with any sort of delay, including frequent French ATC strikes.

The Spanish article is here and a translation (thanks Anna) is below:

Alex Cruz, the Spanish CEO of British Airways, will not receive a bonus for 2016 from the IAG airlines group. The company said in a statement to the National Stock Market Commission that he will be the only one of the 12 senior executives not to receive a bonus.

The bonus is paid half in cash and half in the right to a percentage of shares in the company which can be deferred by up to three years, meaning that they can be awarded any time until 2020. Additionally, these executives entitled to a performance-linked action plan based on a series of targets and linking with managers of IAG, explains El Confidencial [a Spanish online newspaper].

The bonuses will range from €93,670 payable to staff chief Julia Simpson to €651,672 payable to William Walsh, CEO of the parent company. Cruz, who has held one of the highest positions in the group since last April, will receive nothing. Iberia’s president, Luis Gallego, will receive over €335,000, and the president of Vueling, Javier Sanchez Prieto, €190,919.

It’s worth remembering that last summer Sanchez Prieto lived through Vueling’s worst crisis in 11 years, when the airline was on the brink of collapse due to delays and cancellations. At that time, the president of the low cost airline blamed his predecessor, Alex Cruz, for the problems.

Last edited:
Still no decent explanation on BA outage.

Good to hear the board have requested an external inquiry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40118386

The explanation given leaves more questions unanswered imo. New and old critical servers usually have dual power supplies. Idea being each power supply is sourced from two different electrical circuits. So if one circuit fails the second continues.

There are then clustered nodes and high availability for failing servers over from one to another. The level of redundancies are usually layered depending on how critical systems are. Servers have UPS which can support anything from 10m to couple of hours or more. Most power failures are spikes or brief drops. In the event of a major power outage, UPS will maintain systems, flashing errors allowing sufficient time for orderly shutdown or controlled failover to DR system / site.

Moreover, these UPS and latest servers are more resilient to power surges and drops as they have voltage regulation and tolerances built in. In my experience I've never heard of power surge taking out a whole data centre.

They refer to uncontrolled return of power. This doesn't add up either. Most wiring now have circuit trips at various intervals. Even offices have these and you might find one bank of desks work and others don't because return of power throws switches that trip the circuit preventing damage. Then there are fuses and circuit breakers.

When powering up a whole building often power goes up in stages by floor at a time adn even then some circuits can still get tripped. There are so many protection layers I've never encountered once again a whole data being taken out by return of power.

So I'm at a loss as to how an Enterprise class data centre power cut and restoration can take out the whole data centre IT kit??? Even in third world countries when watching a World Cup match on TV you'll find they have power regulators and small ups for their TVs.

BA cost cutting sounds very severe if they removed all these single points of failure providing redundancy & safety mechanism relying solely on data centre power.

I'm not happy. As a customer I'd like to see that detailed report and what they are going to be doing about it as I certainly will not be flying with them again unless full explanation given and resolute action to address issues are taken. :(

Mrs. timsk and I were in Tesco's at the fish counter yesterday. We know how to live! We were in other parts of the store too - but this little grumpy git tale relates to the attempted purchase of 500g of squid for a stir fry we're having tonight. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of it, so the nice lady assistant asked us if we wanted some from the freezer. We're happy to buy it frozen and, as luck would have it, the milky white cephalopod is packaged in 500g bags. So, we'll just take a whole bag - job done. But, surprise surprise, there was a problem: the bag had no price ticket on it. So, the assistant put the bag on the scales in order to generate one. The squid cost £8.00 per kilo, so we all agreed the purchase price for the whole 500g bag ought to be £4.00 exactly. Could she generate a ticket for £4.00? No, no way. The reason was because the additional (frozen) water content made the bag weigh more than 500g. The squid was exactly the same as the (unfrozen) pieces on display but, even so, there was nothing to be done. As hard as the assistant tried to re calibrate the scales to take account of the water content - and she did try very hard - she just couldn't get it quite right. She either overcharged us or swindled poor ol' Tesco's out of a vital few pence.

I can't help but think this is an allegory about the sort of box ticking / 'job's worth' society that we all live in and it makes me grumpy and a tiny bit sad. As for tonight's stir fry, sans squid, it will contain some succulent, juicy and tasty pieces of lamb instead.
Tim.

tim, I had to look up 500 grams because I had no idea how much that is..

it's about 17 1/2 ounces. now i get yor meaning!

why didn't you say so in first place :D