grumpy old gits thread

Of course, there is also that wacky scientific conspiracy theory that we aren't in fact here at all - we're actually a sophisticated form of virtual reality but because we're part of it we can't realise it. Forgotten where I saw this written up by some clever prof - but nobody's proved it untrue yet :LOL:

nobody has proved it true, either. the burden of proof is on the them that makes the claim.

but, we are really here i say confidently:cheesy:

Always seemed to get plenty of good virtual reality when I used to use demo accounts. Shame that it's taken so long with the real ones.

Charity Christmas Cards

Why are charity Christmas cards so $hite? The creative talent in the U.K. is second to none and there must be any number of artists, illustrators and photographers who could produce great work that people actually want to buy and send to their family and friends. As it is, the only quality cards available are from retailers who don't support charities - or only give a few pence in the pound. Does my swede in every year it does!

While I'm on the Christmas theme, if I was a fascist dictator (roll on the day), round about 2,786 on my list of people to face the firing squad would be anyone who even mentions Christmas before the 1st December - at the earliest. No ads on TV, no mince pies at the check out and no Christmas songs. Bah humbug!

Hold on a minute, what's the date today? Oops, I might have to rethink this one!
:eek:

Have you checked your PPI?

If I hear one more bleedin' PPI advert I shall go mad!

However, there's good news on the horizon: advert on the radio today told me to hurry up and get my claim in before the deadline of June 2019. So there's less than 3 years of this mind-battering army of people willing to do battle on my behalf and even get me compensation for something I wasn't aware that I had. How on earth do people pay for PPI and not even know?

I suppose the only question is: after the PPI deadline what will the ambulance chasers home-in on next? What about all those mis-sold broker deals where my trade didn't go into profit? – There must be a few bobsworth of compensation waiting there surely :LOL:

However, there's good news on the horizon: advert on the radio today told me to hurry up and get my claim in before the deadline of June 2019. So there's less than 3 years of this mind-battering army of people willing to do battle on my behalf and even get me compensation for something I wasn't aware that I had. How on earth do people pay for PPI and not even know?

I suppose the only question is: after the PPI deadline what will the ambulance chasers home-in on next? What about all those mis-sold broker deals where my trade didn't go into profit? – There must be a few bobsworth of compensation waiting there surely :LOL:

Oh there are plenty of donuts out there who lived their whole financially inept lives indebted to the banks. One such donut I know has had in excess of 50k refunded from various PPI claims. I kid you not !

Agents ticked the box whether you knew about it or not coz they got commission.

I'm having mine checked. Have the forms. Just haven't signed and sent off yet.

Well worth doing if you've had a busy life borrowing on mortgages and loans etc. :idea:

I'm really sick and tired of Brexiters grumpling about Parliament and the Judicial process.

We've had the referendum let's get on with it!

Numpties haven't got a clue. Get on with what Brexit?

If you don't plan, then you plan to fail.

Where are the plans for Brexit?

Where are the plans for what will replace it?

Well we have them but they are behind closed doors and secret deals will need to be hammered out.

Oh ok then guv. I'll let you get on with it whilst Parliament can stand aside. :mad:

Remainians who's only aim is to undermine the negotiating position of the UK Govt in the hope that we will somehow end up staying in by default.

:mad:

Remainians who's only aim is to undermine the negotiating position of the UK Govt in the hope that we will somehow end up staying in by default.

:mad:

Absolute rubbish.

Silly use of words.

Undermine negotiations. What negotiations??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sky News constantly going on about plastic waste with no reference to responsible regulation of industry.

Capitalism producing plastic, selling merchandise, without covering for social cost of clearing up it's output.

Industry needs to pay for clearing and cleaning up the green environment.

Social costs are always > Individual costs!

They are called externalities which manufacturers like to avoid and ignore. Don't mention taxsation to address issue or they'll be upset.

People do like to talk about social and corporate responsibility and then do not much.

How's about this as a perfect illustration as to why Government organisations/agencies/quangos should never be let anywhere near a business involving money?

Being an honest and upright citizen I have a TV licence (in my name), which expires next week. Phoned TV Licensing to buy a new one in advance – no problem until I told them I wanted it in wifey's name instead of mine. This threw them completely – couldn't be done in advance. I must come back on 1 February and do it then.

Only a nationalised business could turn away someone with £145 in the hand wishing to make a purchase before they were legally obliged to do so. I just cannot imagine any independent business lasting long with a similar strategy. I suppose I should really be totally gobsmacked but I've run up against this sort of thing before in nationalised institutions. I suppose they don't really have any incentive to be profitable – "there's plenty more money where that came from" must be their mantra?

There are 2 types of useless systems to run companies.
1. Nationalised public companies where nobody can be bothered.
2. The old fashioned " THEM " and "US" where it is more like a battleground and nothing gets done.

They both have had a long run of failure and for instance it is pointless to turn over Southern Rail to be further ruined by number 1 after number 2 has failed.

There are 2 types of useless systems to run companies.
1. Nationalised public companies where nobody can be bothered.
2. The old fashioned " THEM " and "US" where it is more like a battleground and nothing gets done.

They both have had a long run of failure and for instance it is pointless to turn over Southern Rail to be further ruined by number 1 after number 2 has failed.

Turn it over to the Dutch??? :rolleyes:

How's about this as a perfect illustration as to why Government organisations/agencies/quangos should never be let anywhere near a business involving money?

Being an honest and upright citizen I have a TV licence (in my name), which expires next week. Phoned TV Licensing to buy a new one in advance – no problem until I told them I wanted it in wifey's name instead of mine. This threw them completely – couldn't be done in advance. I must come back on 1 February and do it then.

Only a nationalised business could turn away someone with £145 in the hand wishing to make a purchase before they were legally obliged to do so. I just cannot imagine any independent business lasting long with a similar strategy. I suppose I should really be totally gobsmacked but I've run up against this sort of thing before in nationalised institutions. I suppose they don't really have any incentive to be profitable – "there's plenty more money where that came from" must be their mantra?

back in late 2015 early 2016 - I spent 6 weeks consulting with a UK Council to review their Commercial policies and practices to make sure they were "cutting edge" and to ensure some of the businesses they were developing would make money (i got paid shedloads to do it so i wasnt arguing)

I rejected all 200 of their ideas in progress for various reasons and especially the ones that had "unrelated"** parties making a lot of money out of the taxpayer it seemed .........

most of the ideas displayed such naive ideas and notions of how the real business world worked i was stunned at how Cr*p they were .....it was like a bloody sitcom

6 weeks (and at least 3 standup rows later with the senior Councillor) I was asked to leave as the process was not working as they had intended .....so i assume a "yes" person was eventually found and ushered in

if that is how all councils and goverment run their affairs (including the NHS) then rest assured millions of pounds are being wasted and recycled to goverment officials (and friends) in this country ..........

amateur hour ..........:smart:

N

** Unrelated ?.........my ar**se they were unrelated ....expecially to some of the council members involved

Last edited:
Turn it over to the Dutch??? :rolleyes:

the Franchise needs a rocket up their ar*e to force them into agreeing something with the Unions ....and the unions are not much better really

we should have said that the top 3% earners in both organisations would be sacked without back pay or benefits if an agreement was not struck within 30 days

amazing how that would have focused the people concerned ....as god knows their customers are way down on priority lists

N

so let the germany of the 1930's run the railway then ? :LOL:

Last edited:
i forgot about this thread :)

must see whats in the closet re my latest bug bears

reality TV is top of the list at the moment ...........and the plastic celebrities that pervade that genre and the effects on our noble younger generation

N

Last edited:
What's wrong with some parents???

So unreasonable can't see sound common sense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39504338

People pay fortunes to educate their children and this git wants to save a few pennies and handicap them.

As for teachers trying to do a difficult job, let's make it a little harder for them as if they haven't got enough to do.

His still so very right and indignant isn't he?

What's wrong with some parents???

So unreasonable can't see sound common sense.

The motivation is a saving of maybe a thousand pounds or more on a family holiday. Depending on the holiday, it may, arguably, be a greater learning experience than school attendance. Actually, the teachers and the school don't in general care about kids taking holidays in term time. What they care about is unauthorised absence statistics. So the more sophisticated parents take a holiday that overruns the start-of-term boundary by a couple of days (getting the better package price), and phone the kids in sick on the first day of term.

Head teacher doesn't have to refuse permission. Holiday is cheap. Unauthorised attendance figures unaffected. Everyone happy. (And everyone understands what's really going on).

The motivation is a saving of maybe a thousand pounds or more on a family holiday. Depending on the holiday, it may, arguably, be a greater learning experience than school attendance. Actually, the teachers and the school don't in general care about kids taking holidays in term time. What they care about is unauthorised absence statistics. So the more sophisticated parents take a holiday that overruns the start-of-term boundary by a couple of days (getting the better package price), and phone the kids in sick on the first day of term.

Head teacher doesn't have to refuse permission. Holiday is cheap. Unauthorised attendance figures unaffected. Everyone happy. (And everyone understands what's really going on).

Thousand pounds or more is really stretching it imo.

It is simply wrong to take kids out for a week or fortnight in a 10 week term.

Teachers then get hands in the air asking questions about areas not covered/missed disrupting class for other pupils.

If all families had the same option and took such approach it makes managing class and curriculum very difficult.

The greater learning experience is simply postponed not lost.

Unauthorised absence is simply KPI that is monitored. It is not the driver. Disruption to pupil and class are key factors at play here.