fast/intermediate MA crossover
intermediate/slow MA crossover
intermediate MA slope up/down
count of recent consecutive weekly bars unbroken by intermediate MA
count of recent consecutive weekly bars closing above/below slow MA
count of recent consecutive weekly bars closing above/below intermediate MA
count of weekly bars closing above/below slow MA in last 6mths
% of weekly high, lows and closes above intermediate MA in last 6mths

I take trend-following trades only, I don't day-trade.

In general, I believe an indicator has to do three things to earn its place -
1. tell you something you can't already see
2. has to be selected to match your strategy
3. has to impact your trade entry/exit decision and/or position size

tomorton

Legendary member
7,315 979
I must add that I am currently trying out ATR for setting stop-losses and pyramid trigger levels.

tomorton

Legendary member
7,315 979
Only just using it in an organised way but have been for about a year eyeballing it to add some buffer to my stops so they don't get hit by daily volatility. I like Rayner Teo's video clips and he regularly adds about one ATR to his initial TA-based entry-SL distances.

I'm currently using a SL for each forex trade at 2 x ATR20 from entry. This might turn out to be too conservative but I'd rather start cautiously. Also trialling adding a pyramid trade at 0.5 x ATR20 profit. So far so good.

Reactions: markallen

ForexinDevon

87 3
I use only MA's but squeeze as much as possible from them, for example -
fast/intermediate/slow MA sequence
price above/below slow MA
fast/intermediate MA crossover
intermediate/slow MA crossover
intermediate MA slope up/down
count of recent consecutive weekly bars unbroken by intermediate MA
count of recent consecutive weekly bars closing above/below slow MA
count of recent consecutive weekly bars closing above/below intermediate MA
count of weekly bars closing above/below slow MA in last 6mths
% of weekly high, lows and closes above intermediate MA in last 6mths

I take trend-following trades only, I don't day-trade.

In general, I believe an indicator has to do three things to earn its place -
1. tell you something you can't already see
2. has to be selected to match your strategy
3. has to impact your trade entry/exit decision and/or position size
Are you a full time trader?

tomorton

Legendary member
7,315 979
Are you a full time trader?

So far so good. A volatility-related SL seems rational and might be more successful than my usual approach, which is strictly TA-based, using swing day highs/lows. The pyramid level at +/-0.5 x ATR20 might be aggressive as its a fairly short travel distance from entry but I want to capture those quick moves. Doesn't rely on a specific entry pattern. I only trade long-term so I'm definitely not full-time, can't think of anything worse personally - unless it might be going back to work in an office again.

ForexinDevon

87 3
So far so good. A volatility-related SL seems rational and might be more successful than my usual approach, which is strictly TA-based, using swing day highs/lows. The pyramid level at +/-0.5 x ATR20 might be aggressive as its a fairly short travel distance from entry but I want to capture those quick moves. Doesn't rely on a specific entry pattern. I only trade long-term so I'm definitely not full-time, can't think of anything worse personally - unless it might be going back to work in an office again.
I couldn't go back to normal work, I would hate it.

Reactions: tomorton

NVP

Legendary member
36,739 1,872
I must add that I am currently trying out ATR for setting stop-losses and pyramid trigger levels.
very logical Tom....keep going in that direction

trading is all about probability..... as you already well know

N

Reactions: tomorton

NVP

Legendary member
36,739 1,872
I couldn't go back to normal work, I would hate it.
I last sat in big corporate offices F/T about 4-5 years ago now after some 30 years of doing it.........I miss the banter and the routine ....but I generally hated it when i was doing it ......the natural human reaction !

now i work from Home ......trading and other consultancy work ....BUT....I hate sitting in a room on my own for hours.....regardless of how sucessful or rewarding it is ....

so i try to limit it much more now ....

N

FXX

Experienced member
1,140 195
I last sat in big corporate offices F/T about 4-5 years ago now after some 30 years of doing it.........I miss the banter and the routine ....but I generally hated it when i was doing it ......the natural human reaction !

now i work from Home ......trading and other consultancy work ....BUT....I hate sitting in a room on my own for hours.....regardless of how sucessful or rewarding it is ....

so i try to limit it much more now ....

N
Take your laptop to different places and trade there. Travel Europe and trade sounds like a nice way to do it