DAX - January

bonsai

Veteren member
seems like this has died something of a death but will give it
another try before January runs out.
:LOL:

Here is a simple chart to kick things off.

Attachments

• dax21.gif
    dax21.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 682
DAX Futures

I'm thinkiing of looking at DAX futures on IB. I notice they show level 1 and level 2. Does this refer to depth of market as in Ftse future?

yes it's the same

annoymous though, not sure how much spoofing goes on in the dax, but personally don't use DOM, can't seem to get anything out of it

Bonsai - bull flag in Dax has played out hasn't it - wonder whether we have more upside now

Dax
it does look like it but am still learning how much dax likes to fill
its gaps.

so we may need to hunt for support before going higher ?

qaza, yes I do look at DOM in Ftse.
DaxTrader, you're right about spoofs as well.
however, I think it's worth it to see say 800 lots one side v's 200 the other, over 6/7 points to help with a decision. It's can be nice to see you're not p*ssing in the wind, if you'll excuse the phrase.
Overall I think I gain more than I lose using it.
Where's best for a free chart to keep an eye on it? I'm a bit busy at the moment but just want to check on it from time to time.

I have a gap in the 4080/90 area.
Ideally, it should have been filled before moving up.

so I wont be surprised if we have to pull back to there first.
(the correction down to 100 looks incomplete)

ever noticed how the mkt moves in the direction of size ? the obvious conclusion when you see 800 offered and 200 bid is that the mkt should go down but in my experience it frequently moves up

jslee said:
Looks like a shorters dream topping all over the markets.

Jane

A shorters - Dream Topping - all over the markets...?

Jane, it took me a second to realise you meant what you meant.

I must have been hungry. but the visual imagery was exquisite.

bonsai

the gap you are highlighting was at the open on the 16th on the cash market I presume ?

bonsai,

just looked at the futures chart . there's no gap from the 15/16 th so you can safely ignore the gap you mentioned

qaza
you could be right but I dont see the need for correlation with the futures market over something like this.

btw,
if we break 130 then we break what is a downside island reversal

Todays gap was a beauty,
But what really got me jumping (in panic) was my decision to go long at around 12 noon local german time. So I get the fill @ 4161 and the moment I hang up the phone I see 4151 - 4141 all in no more than 3-4 seconds. Looks like every other market that was open did the same wild spike up and then down. (I got out in frustration at 4162)

yawn ?

does seem to be taking a long time to fall !

perhaps trying to defend 130 from the 22yd line ?

Qaza and Oatman

A mate in the trade so to speak reckons the market trades towards size before deciding to bounce or fall...

Oatman - very good place for a high quality 15 min delayed charts is http://www.mandirect.com/trading-tools/quotes_body.cfm
if you set chart to high density and large size.

SKJ -

that was Nokia sales figs that caused that. If you are trading Dax particulary (large technology component relatively), the nokia quarterlys, or anything from them, is often as big a mover as the biggest US figures. Good idea to make a note in your diary for just under 3 months time, and check the Market reports for day ahead on Bloomberg/ FT anyway for potential big figs.

looking like the 22 line might have been good enough ?

at least for now.

4130 seems quite important ?

quite right qaza.

Last edited:
bonsai

in my day it was the 25 yd line...............should'nt it be the 22 mt line ?

Yes, that huge spike caught me out as well, 1 minute I was 10 points up and minute later stopped out for a five point loss.

I had to laugh, I was just about to press the sell button and hesistated for a split second and the rest is history.

they've changed our pints into litres
and our yards into metres

but they forgot to change me !