Crime and punishment

The cops wouldn't shoot down the drone in case the spent bullet fell on someone !
Even monkeys could do better than that.
Perhaps PC Plod could get given a jet pack and shotgun.

Its inexplicable that the authorities don't have a strategy to deal with drones which are already flying in the danger zone. Their policy seems to be to sit round and wait for the drones leave the danger zone. That and driving around looking for drone operators helpfully standing alongside main roads waving antennae about.

Sussex Police should have known they had no means to deal with active drones, as there have been numerous cases at Gatwick already. In which case, why delay calling in the army? It should have been automatic and immediate, like e.g. WW2 German bomb disposal.

Only a matter of time before we have anti drone hand held rockets.

Sounds like it ties in with my theory that we are all tribal. So, why do we persist with this silly notion that everyone should get along.

i tend to agree with the Tribal theory.........we evolved that way and all of nature generally does this to protect the species .....also ensuring that species split into seperate tribes eventually protects them as well from extinction regarding disasters and disease etc etc

Its inexplicable that the authorities don't have a strategy to deal with drones which are already flying in the danger zone. Their policy seems to be to sit round and wait for the drones leave the danger zone. That and driving around looking for drone operators helpfully standing alongside main roads waving antennae about.

Sussex Police should have known they had no means to deal with active drones, as there have been numerous cases at Gatwick already. In which case, why delay calling in the army? It should have been automatic and immediate, like e.g. WW2 German bomb disposal.

interesting one this ............someone clearly professional has highlighted the danger to aircraft from drones and paralysed Gatwick hurting them in the pocket .......and thousands of passengers ...........

Balpa has been pressuring the airline industry for years to take more action against Drones (correctly i might add)........but commercial pressures have made them ignore the issues ..............and now this happens ?

interesting .............

Only a matter of time before we have anti drone hand held rockets.

they do already ........spreads a net around drone then parachutes it to ground...did you see it on news last night ? ...awesome !

Well, the Gatwick drone incident is over. Seems like the guy needed to get off home - its a busy time of year after all and Tesco don't have unlimited supplies of frozen turkeys if you really want one.

Sussex Police can't say what they did, but they were filmed driving about in big cars having a jolly good look around: top policing. They have said they can't shoot at drones but their rifle-armed officers were photographed on the airfield: well, there is a serious rabbit problem I believe. They can't say who did this drone thing or what their aims were: but they're sure he's not doing it now.

The Army were called in but it was so late on Thursday that they never even got there. Latest news from the Army is that they will soon be accepting applications from female civilians to join the Infantry. This press release is timed at 16:56 today so it seems they obviously have a time machine at their disposal, which makes it all the more odd they couldn't get to Gatwick when they were needed.

Maybe we could use our helicopters or even our own military drones against drone incidents. We have a few -
Helicopters operated by British Army = 128. Unmanned aerial vehicles, appr. 272.
Helicopters operated by RAF = 87.
Helicopters operated by Royal Navy = 58.
Helicopters operated directly by MoD = 8.
Helicopters operated by UK Police= 19.

Apparently, Sir Humphrey Appleby has been quoted as being unsure if this is an issue for the Ministry of Defence, Department of Transport or the Home Office. But he's quietly confident its not the responsibility of the Department for Administrative Affairs. I expect an Inquiry will soon be announced, in the fullness of time.

Meanwhile, the House has risen and Parliament is now in recess. But don't despair, they will be back at work first thing in the New Year to deal with urgent matters of national importance. Actually, that will be first thing a week later, on Monday 7th January. Actually, it will be first thing on Monday afternoon. Actually, it will be first thing after a long lunch on Monday afternoon, at 2:30. Of the most pressing and immediate concern will be oral questions for the minister for Work and Pensions whoever that is now, then a vital debate on the Fifth Report from the Committee on Standards on implications of the Dame Laura Cox report for the House's Standards System: Initial Proposals.

So that's alright then.

Well, the Gatwick drone incident is over. Seems like the guy needed to get off home - its a busy time of year after all and Tesco don't have unlimited supplies of frozen turkeys if you really want one.

Sussex Police can't say what they did, but they were filmed driving about in big cars having a jolly good look around: top policing. They have said they can't shoot at drones but their rifle-armed officers were photographed on the airfield: well, there is a serious rabbit problem I believe. They can't say who did this drone thing or what their aims were: but they're sure he's not doing it now.

The Army were called in but it was so late on Thursday that they never even got there. Latest news from the Army is that they will soon be accepting applications from female civilians to join the Infantry. This press release is timed at 16:56 today so it seems they obviously have a time machine at their disposal, which makes it all the more odd they couldn't get to Gatwick when they were needed.

Maybe we could use our helicopters or even our own military drones against drone incidents. We have a few -
Helicopters operated by British Army = 128. Unmanned aerial vehicles, appr. 272.
Helicopters operated by RAF = 87.
Helicopters operated by Royal Navy = 58.
Helicopters operated directly by MoD = 8.
Helicopters operated by UK Police= 19.

Apparently, Sir Humphrey Appleby has been quoted as being unsure if this is an issue for the Ministry of Defence, Department of Transport or the Home Office. But he's quietly confident its not the responsibility of the Department for Administrative Affairs. I expect an Inquiry will soon be announced, in the fullness of time.

Meanwhile, the House has risen and Parliament is now in recess. But don't despair, they will be back at work first thing in the New Year to deal with urgent matters of national importance. Actually, that will be first thing a week later, on Monday 7th January. Actually, it will be first thing on Monday afternoon. Actually, it will be first thing after a long lunch on Monday afternoon, at 2:30. Of the most pressing and immediate concern will be oral questions for the minister for Work and Pensions whoever that is now, then a vital debate on the Fifth Report from the Committee on Standards on implications of the Dame Laura Cox report for the House's Standards System: Initial Proposals.

So that's alright then.

MPs fiddle, whilst the rest of us burn!

It's Christmas, the Military, the Civil Service, most of the Police, the house of commons, they are all on standown, have been for at least a week, only the cleaners are left holding the fort, and what a fine job they are making of it. You can't expect much input from the military this time of year, if they are not deployed in some foreign field then they are hungover from this weeks Xmas ball's, champagne breakfasts and food fights, no way Jose, they ain't getting out of bed unless its a war.

Anyway, we have a SAS troop on standby over Xmas to deal with drone threats, oops no, it's not terrorist related, get back to your brews boys, no-one cares about holiday makers, they are not exactly top priority, the airlines are saving millions in fuel and staff costs, no compensation payouts needed, the insurance companies won't be happy with that.

It's all good, just some eco-warrior (probably from the Brighton elite ;)), making a protest that mummy and daddy are not paying for a month in St Moritz this year, that was bought for him for his 30th birthday last year, "it's about time he got a proper job, blogging on youtube about luxury chocolates or something" they tell him. It's not fair when everyone else is going on holiday and I have to put up with the annual Xmas trip to the Scottish castle/mansion instead, IT'S JUST NOT FAIR :cry::cry:

Yes, I also was thinking the police should look at finding the drone guy in Brighton.

Mind you, they didn't catch the 12 Gatwick drone attackers before him so why should this time be different?

So far, the authorities have no reliable counter to this.

Guys I think it's wrong to jump to conclusions. Newspapers guessing it's some eco-warrior but it is all so out of character imo.

fwiw for the first time I saw two armed police officers patrolling Churchill Square shopping centre. I'm used to seeing them around Parliament and Westminster but it was a first today for me in Brighton . Armed with automatic rifles.

Thus I strongly suspect we have had some tip off, or something was planned.

So perhaps we shouldn't take the mick out of our boys keeping public happy and safe. :unsure:

Guys I think it's wrong to jump to conclusions. Newspapers guessing it's some eco-warrior but it is all so out of character imo.

fwiw for the first time I saw two armed police officers patrolling Churchill Square shopping centre. I'm used to seeing them around Parliament and Westminster but it was a first today for me in Brighton . Armed with automatic rifles.

Thus I strongly suspect we have had some tip off, or something was planned.

So perhaps we shouldn't take the mick out of our boys keeping public happy and safe. :unsure:

Not at all, saw two police in Exeter of all places armed with machine guns 3 weeks ago. Its unusual to see two police in Exeter.

1710hrs. Gatwick closed again due to drone sighting.

I guess the guy's been home and done his last minute Chrimbo shopping, plus some spare battery packs from PC World, now he's back on the case.

He's certainly putting in more work than the Minister of Transport.

1824hrs. Flights resume from Gatwick.

At this point, with no arrests, no drones recovered and no drone flight deterrent, the Minister of Transport is just a passenger..........

Not at all, saw two police in Exeter of all places armed with machine guns 3 weeks ago. Its unusual to see two police in Exeter.

It's unusual to see two machine gun armed police officers even more so.

Something, maybe a tip off is obviously in the air other than the drone.

It's unusual to see two machine gun armed police officers even more so.

Something, maybe a tip off is obviously in the air other than the drone.

Islamic Christmas terrorism risk I suppose. Its happening annually now.

Islamic Christmas terrorism risk I suppose. Its happening annually now.

Not being PC here but that Islamic Christmas bit is totally wrong.

Just terrorism matey.

Nothing Islamic or Christmassy about killing people.

Tell that to the Islamic Jihadists.

If a pschitso kills you because his hearing sounds inside his head and believes him self to be the instrument of God, do you say he is a pious follower of his faith or do you say he is mad man, a delusional sick man?

If religious leaders do not lend support but condemn the act why do you persist in calling it an act of Islam?

You say tell that to the Islamic Jihadists but by virtue of you saying such is feeding their very sick belief. They are sick and you are beiong pig headed feeding them the very fulfillment of their sick vile yearning stating, recognising they are followers of Islam. Do you not see this?

All terrorist are simply sick souls who have gone astray in life. There is no god and there is no hell or heaven. There is only life and death where one becomes food for worms, in the circle of life nourishing the soil.

No point in me talking to such bodies. I'd simply take their heads off before they take mine. :geek:

If a pschitso kills you because his hearing sounds inside his head and believes him self to be the instrument of God, do you say he is a pious follower of his faith or do you say he is mad man, a delusional sick man?

If religious leaders do not lend support but condemn the act why do you persist in calling it an act of Islam?

You say tell that to the Islamic Jihadists but by virtue of you saying such is feeding their very sick belief. They are sick and you are beiong pig headed feeding them the very fulfillment of their sick vile yearning stating, recognising they are followers of Islam. Do you not see this?

All terrorist are simply sick souls who have gone astray in life. There is no god and there is no hell or heaven. There is only life and death where one becomes food for worms, in the circle of life nourishing the soil.

No point in me talking to such bodies. I'd simply take their heads off before they take mine. :geek:

Stepping beyond your own convictions on the matter, what is your authority for this point of view?